PDA

View Full Version : Etec or optimax????

JB sniper
24-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Hey guys,

I'm going to upgrade my motor, I currently have 175hp 2004 Johnson last of the carby models and great motor and runs well, just need longer range as we travel 60 nm offshore regularly and want better economy sick of carrying jerrycans. Was thinking of going either an etec or optimax of the same hp. Only sticking with the 2-stroke cos I want to keep the weight of the motor the same as the existing to keep the ride on my v19r the same.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks JB

BigE
24-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Optimax
no question.

BigE

fisho8
24-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Make you decision easy for you this is my 175 Opti I have had a 115 opti aswell....would not have any other 2 stroke.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIcO-ADrEhU&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSIFTZucTMA&feature=plcp

CATchin'Em
24-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Optimax have a good name for economy.
Bring on the ETEC bashing

Warrior620
24-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Did a fair bit of looking at both these motors but at 200hp. Optimax is the better pick on economy and seems to be a more reliable motor and more grunt.. Probably get a better deal on an opti which would even out the three year service thing that etec try to sell their motors on.

Cootac
24-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Hey guys,

I'm going to upgrade my motor, I currently have 175hp 2004 Johnson last of the carby models and great motor and runs well, just need longer range as we travel 60 nm offshore regularly and want better economy sick of carrying jerrycans. Was thinking of going either an etec or optimax of the same hp. Only sticking with the 2-stroke cos I want to keep the weight of the motor the same as the existing to keep the ride on my v19r the same.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks JB

200 opti on your 19r would be perfect combo @ 225 kg , Very good on fuel and great cruse speed for those long trips . Opti all the way just my 2c.

Moonlighter
24-11-2012, 08:18 AM
It would be interesting to check the weight of your current 175 Johnson, which I would imagine to be a V6, and check it against the new Suzuki DF 175.

The current etec 175 weighs about 195 kg depending on shaft length, and you would think that would be lighter than the 2004 model? The Suzuki weighs 215kg to 220kg depending on model.

So even on current specs there is only 20kg difference. Not much to be concerned about. Plus, don't forget with the etec you have to add the weight of the oil being carried in the container, at least 10kg.

Worth some thought.

Cheers

ML

Cootac
24-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Fisho 8 .
If you can rise your engine by 2-3 holes up you will get better performance out of it , top end and your cruse speed wil be a lot better and your economy will olso improve . At the moment your motor is fitted way low..

hilta1
24-11-2012, 08:27 AM
I have 3 etecs 90, 130 and a 150, the 90 has done 2000 odd hours, the 130 240hours and the 150 300 hours, been good motors did have an injector shit itself on the 150 but apart from that they have been good motors, have twin 115 yammies and they have little things go wrong with them as well, a lot of the abb guys down here are putting etecs on now so will be interesting to see what they think? i think just buy the best price motor at the moment and you cant go wrong,was going to put suzukis on when time comes to replace but when i had a look at some that are the same age as the etecs i think there coorosion control may not be as good, just my thoughts but i suppose i had better brace myself for speaking ill of the mighty suzuki!!!! lol

rcfisher
24-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Well i have one Etec. Its a 90hp in about 50 pieces on my shed floor due to major failure at 360 hours. I have sent BRP a total of 3 emails. They answered the first one and that was it. So Optimax for me.

fisho8
24-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Fisho 8 .
If you can rise your engine by 2-3 holes up you will get better performance out of it , top end and your cruse speed wil be a lot better and your economy will olso improve . At the moment your motor is fitted way low..

Yeah I am aware it mate I have been through this with my Merc Mechanic the cav plate is in line with the bottom of the lower point of the hull which technically means it has been positioned in the right spot I only have 2 holes to go which makes it hard it is the shape of my transom that is a bit of a hinderance as there is not alot of depthfrom the top edge to the bottom. I really need an engine with a shorter shaft and it should be fine then I am going to have it raised up 1 hole and see how it goes.:)

hilta1
24-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Yeh and i have 2 mercs in bits as well, a 2007 50hp and a2008 90, but that doesnt make them all bad, actualy when you get around the back of most boat yards there are quiet a few new looking motors of all brands pulled down and irriperable, regardless of what brand you get, as i said go for the best value at the time.

Greg P
24-11-2012, 09:51 AM
How about some pictures of that Coldfront on here Mark - looks an awesome rig !!!

Cootac
24-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah I am aware it mate I have been through this with my Merc Mechanic the cav plate is in line with the bottom of the lower point of the hull which technically means it has been positioned in the right spot I only have 2 holes to go which makes it hard it is the shape of my transom that is a bit of a hinderance as there is not alot of depthfrom the top edge to the bottom. I really need an engine with a shorter shaft and it should be fine then I am going to have it raised up 1 hole and see how it goes.:)

Ok, fair enough you ran out of transom height. The quickest and the best way to raise your motor without to much expense, would be a manual jacking plate made out of aluminium. Or you can go for the hydraulic one, but it is a bit more expensive. The manual jacking plate only weighs about 4-5kg, so it is not like you are adding a lot of weight. That would be your quickest solution to get the most out of your motor, gearbox and prop.

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo125/Cootacraft/1701.jpg
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo125/Cootacraft/1702.jpg

Here is a couple of pics of how we set up engines here. We have no issues with cavitations or props letting go, even when crossing bars. Hope that helps you a bit. Mark

Cootac
24-11-2012, 12:49 PM
How about some pictures of that Coldfront on here Mark - looks an awesome rig !!!

I will as soon as I become a sponser which shouldn't be too long.

JB sniper
24-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys I will have to check the height of my motor when I'm home next week also.

Cheers JB

fisho8
24-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Ok, fair enough you ran out of transom height. The quickest and the best way to raise your motor without to much expense, would be a manual jacking plate made out of aluminium. Or you can go for the hydraulic one, but it is a bit more expensive. The manual jacking plate only weighs about 4-5kg, so it is not like you are adding a lot of weight. That would be your quickest solution to get the most out of your motor, gearbox and prop.

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo125/Cootacraft/1701.jpg
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo125/Cootacraft/1702.jpg

Here is a couple of pics of how we set up engines here. We have no issues with cavitations or props letting go, even when crossing bars. Hope that helps you a bit. Mark

Ok Coota thanks for that mate I never really thought of that thanks for the info. I will get some pics of the back of my boat and post them up.:)

fisho8
24-11-2012, 08:32 PM
JB give Seaquest Marine a call down at Clontarf I am sure troy and Warren would be happy to give some info on the Merc's they service mine and are a fully liceneced merc service centre. Good luck on your decision mate.:)

ozlongboarder
24-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Coota, that engine is set very high. From what I have heard/read most boat yards have no clue about engine heights when fitting outboards and set them way to low. Have you had any experience fitting outboards to cats? Would you set them that high on a cat hull with alloy pods that are about 50mm steeped up from the fiberglass transom? I have a 3100 Noosacat and my motors are set to low. Only problem I have is it costs me about $300 in slip fees to get the boat out to readjust engine heights. So was looking for some guidance on where to start?

Do you have any plans to make a Cootacraft 233?

Cootac
25-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Coota, that engine is set very high. From what I have heard/read most boat yards have no clue about engine heights when fitting outboards and set them way to low. Have you had any experience fitting outboards to cats? Would you set them that high on a cat hull with alloy pods that are about 50mm steeped up from the fiberglass transom? I have a 3100 Noosacat and my motors are set to low. Only problem I have is it costs me about $300 in slip fees to get the boat out to readjust engine heights. So was looking for some guidance on where to start?

Do you have any plans to make a Cootacraft 233?

I would fit two hydraulic jacking plates 4" offsets and you can rise your engines up to 6" higher then what they are now @ wot all you need is one blade in the water not the whole lower unit . Ones you get you hight perfect your next problem going to be a perfect prop for your rig due to less drag you be able to run higher pitch props .We run our motors 3-4" higher with out any issues.

No we have no plans for any 233, :)

Hope that helps you a little bit.

barra71
25-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Optimax for sure..

Dont go the Ebomb...

Angla
25-11-2012, 09:01 PM
My 2003 135 Opti had over 400 hours and no major problems,just minor stuff that did not keep me off the water or require a tow. I believe the newer opti has addressed these issues
I now have a 150 Verado and wow.
Have you looked at the newer merc 4 stroke which I believe is a better weight now.

Cheers
Chris

Darren Mc
25-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Out of those two, i would say the Optimax for sure.
I've had and etec and whilst it was newish, approx 80hrs i was very happy with it, then the problems started with an open circuit in an injector. Then my warranty ran out and the EMM crapped itself(very expensive)and i had to get towed back to the ramp($400,coast guard)(i'm now a member). Needless to say that was the last straw and i didn't trust it after that and sold the whole boat because an Etec out of warranty is worth bugger all to trade in.
If anymore of this sort of crap happens with my new motor and boat, i think i'll just give up boating, don't need the stress. Lol.

mattyd
26-11-2012, 09:14 AM
We've had our 90HP ETEC new since 2006 and ~ 180 hours later it's still going as good as new. We've only ever had it serviced once where they changed an impeller and a few other small bits at Downes Marine.

$150 later and that's the only work she's ever had done.

We really only stick to recreational bay fishing and the longest trips are only over to Moreton & back, but she purrs into action everytime without fail.

Maybe the bug is yet to bite, but we couldn't be happier with ours.

mustang5
26-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Optimax hands down!

I dont have experience with E-Tec's, other than the general vibes handed down by many unhappy users.

I had twin 200 Optis with 600+ Hrs on them pushing 4.5t of boat at 41knts, at the same revs and speeds of factory settings.

However, Use the right oil and quickleen or you may aswell have a Force Motor on the back.

Damian Loosemore
30-11-2012, 07:58 AM
fisho8 mate wondering what is the 175 like on fuel,cheers

MEG-A-BITE
30-11-2012, 09:53 AM
I would stay away from the E-tecs too many prolems around.Optimax is a much better option.

fisho8
30-11-2012, 10:36 AM
I am happy with it's fuel consumption I go from Scarbrough out to Cape Moreton fish Brennans Shoal stopping and starting do a bit of trolling on the way in around the shipping markers and back to the ramp and I burn about 60-90ltrs of fuel depending on conditions and how hard I am on the throttle. I burn anywhere from 2.5-3.3lph from about 3000-4500 revs.