PDA

View Full Version : Cairns area, imported boat.

Nicko_Cairns
23-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Hi,

Anyone imported a US boat into the Cairns area? I'm keen to import one but would like to have a look at a few in person before shelling out any cash. I'm looking at a 7m mono glass boat, probably a Seaswirl Striper, Trophy, Pioneer or another cost effective brand (i.e. Boston Whaler are a bit pricey). I'm not that interested in Polar, they've had some average reviews for hull cracking apparently (hulltruth posts).

I'd love to come for a ride and will happily pay for fuel.

PM me if interested.

Thanks.

ozynorts
23-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Hey Nicko, get hold of Rob at Leisure Freight and Import. He is really helpful with all the info. There is also Portsea marine who do imports as well.

Moffy
23-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Nicko,

Have a chat to Wayne Bayne at Mitchells marine - he will put you on the right track.

Cheers,

Moffy

upstart
23-11-2012, 07:49 PM
I've heard on the grapevine that the bloke from the Tully boat shop can do imports.

wrxhoon
23-11-2012, 09:11 PM
If you are looking for a cheap 23 footer you can't go past the 2302Wa Trophy, assuming you want a cab. if you go down that road make sure its the late shape hull post late 2005, they are very cheap in USA , from about high $20's up , you can even get a new one for around the $high 50s mark.
The only problem they are 8'6" wid , like most usa buil 23 footers and they only come with Mercs on the back, opti or verado , make sure you buy one with a 250 if single.
If you need a hand to export/import give me a bell, I have contacts.

Snapperscott
23-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Nicko, happy to discuss my striper 2301 process 0411874522.

Nicko_Cairns
24-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Yeah will do thanks Scott, can you PM your email?

Thanks.

Nicko_Cairns
24-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Yep, looking for a walk around as I want the space to store gear and potentially have a bed for overnighters and weekends away with the wife, probably 22'.

Ausgradi
25-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Hey Nicko,

I imported our Striper 2601 walk around earlier this year with Portsea marine. Call Justin and have a chat. He will give u a good idea of what prices and what's about over there. His company is the cheapest and most reliable, i proved that with written quotes and other peoples experiences. He may even know some one up there to show around a US boat so get into him.

If your down on the Gold Coast pm me. Our Striper is always ready if you wanna have a run in one.

Snapperscott
26-11-2012, 07:32 AM
x2 for justin.

Nicko_Cairns
26-11-2012, 12:24 PM
thanks Ausgradi,

i'll be down that way early next year, would love to have a look, will PM you. cheers.

Thedoc
29-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Hi Nicko, Im here in Cairns brought in 2006 28 foot Seapro 270 WA like a Trophy and new loadrite aluminium trailer to aussie specs its a ripper. Used a Cairns guy to import John at boatimporters.com.au was v good and v reasonable. NQ boat haulage were brilliant from Brissie and grabbing from the Port made it v easy . Justin at Portsea i know can source and find u one too he seems a real good bloke and is over there all the time . Going into winter now over there so prices will lower until spring. Watch for post Sandy issues ! Give us a ring 0424155205 if u want to know anything or come have a look. Reckon Stripers are a beauty at the size either WA or centre consul

Matthew Thompson
30-11-2012, 09:51 AM
out of interest what price range are people buying boat from america for (including shipping to cairns)40-50k?

depends on what you buy obviously but roughly how much cheaper are big glass boats over there?

archityler
01-12-2012, 04:36 PM
I brought two boats in from the States. I went there and test drove them before shipping them out. At least get a good surveyor to go over them for you. My advice is to spend the effort and make sure your babies get packed right. I brought over a 2006 Blazer Bay 2220 Profesional and a 2005 Pathfinder DV2300 both with less then 79hours. I think they are a few of the best smaller serious fishing boats the US has to offer for the price.

archityler
01-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Check it out for yourself. http://www.boattrader.com/

mustang5
04-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Im on my second import now. First a Proline 29ft Walkaround with twin optis.. Great boat, all the creature comforts, but thirsty and hard to tow.

Second boat is a Seaswirl Striper.

Both landed for well under 50K. Worth it?? Of course.

Best bet is to have it shipped to Port of Brisbane, and simply transport it to Cairns either by transport company, or tow it under permit. I live in Gladstone so this is what I did.

I have used two shipping agents, and I must admit, Portsea Marine have made it very easy so far, and well worth the phone call.

Just remember though, no matter the shipping agent used.. Shipping time tends to be a little more than quoted.. Hurricanes and unexpected stops tend to happen when its your boat on board haha!!

Its just a patience thing of course..

rodlox
08-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Have you had a look at the US boats that are here already and for sale. We're currently trying to sell our Robalo r235 for less than what you'd pay imported and with all the other associated costs (new baby and it's not getting used so it's been a rather large garden gnome for the past couple of months). Ours may not be what your after but I have seen some other well priced US boats for sale out here and if you need to transport from Brisbane to cairns anyway surely that'd be a cheaper option without the extra worries

morphias
08-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Have you had a look at the US boats that are here already and for sale. We're currently trying to sell our Robalo r235 for less than what you'd pay imported and with all the other associated costs (new baby and it's not getting used so it's been a rather large garden gnome for the past couple of months). Ours may not be what your after but I have seen some other well priced US boats for sale out here and if you need to transport from Brisbane to cairns anyway surely that'd be a cheaper option without the extra worries

Got a link to the ad mate?

rodlox
08-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Not sure if we're supposed to post links like that on here but if you go to boatpoint you'll find it

Snapperscott
08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
My money is you will be wishing you kept your proline.

Nicko_Cairns
09-12-2012, 10:12 PM

yeah rodlox but a lot of guys want too much, haven't seen any so far that are cheaper than importing but perhaps that's a different style of boat, or i haven't been looking enough, pm me the details thanks.

Schulzy
10-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Went for a run in a 7m seapro out from burrum heads in 15 knots northerly. It had a 500l fuel tank. Gets around a litre a mile with a 225 mercury 4 stroke pretty comfy boat. For a big c/c it would suit anywhere enough room to sleep and plenty of storage. And 50k to Brisbane on an ally trailer

rodlox
10-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Morphias, trying to reply to your PM but your inbox is full.

morphias
10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Morphias, trying to reply to your PM but your inbox is full.

Fixed :)

Damn 5 message limit...how can I hoard with that! :P

Nicko_Cairns
11-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Hi Nicko, Im here in Cairns brought in 2006 28 foot Seapro 270 WA like a Trophy and new loadrite aluminium trailer to aussie specs its a ripper. Used a Cairns guy to import John at boatimporters.com.au was v good and v reasonable. NQ boat haulage were brilliant from Brissie and grabbing from the Port made it v easy . Justin at Portsea i know can source and find u one too he seems a real good bloke and is over there all the time . Going into winter now over there so prices will lower until spring. Watch for post Sandy issues ! Give us a ring 0424155205 if u want to know anything or come have a look. Reckon Stripers are a beauty at the size either WA or centre consul

nice doc, i'll definitely give you a bell in the new year...