PDA

View Full Version : Smartcraft Alarm

hard2catch
19-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Hi Guys,the smartcraft gauges on my 2005 175 opti keep showing an alarm "oil level".The remote oil bottle had 4ltr of oil in it when it first showed the alarm and the small oil bottle under the cowl was full.After filling the oil bottle the alarm continues to show each time I turn the ignition on.The motor runs fine.Is there a way of resetting the gauges or is it more likely that the sender in the oil bottle is the problem.
Thanks in advance.
Scott.

Vitamin Sea
19-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Hey Scott

Pretty common with the Opti smartcraft guages, I had an '08 200hp and I use to get the same message when the oil level hit about the 4ltr mark in the bottle, don't think that they can be re-set.

Dealer advised me that it's just an indicator, just keep an eye on it and keep the oil topped up, that's what I did.

Cheers

VS

hard2catch
19-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks VS.
Is there any way of telling if the oil pump is working apart from taking the boat for a long run and checking the oil bottle to see if any oil is being used (don't want to risk starving engine of oil).

fisho8
19-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Hey mate I have a 2009 Merc 175 Opti which had that same problem, There is an issue with the small oil resivoar on the engine, The little cap that is on the top of it is the issue being too short Merc have made a new resivoar with a cap with a longer thead if there is any air getting into the system the guages with fire an error code. The guys down at Seaquest marine in clontarf would be the ones to talk to as they fixed mine for me and I have not had an issues since.:)

bigjimg
19-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Check your sender unit in the main oil tank.If the sender unit that is attached to the plastic center on the cap assembly is rotated to far one way or the other the float will foul on the inside of the tank and give you incorrect and or false alarms.Jim

Vitamin Sea
20-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Thanks VS.
Is there any way of telling if the oil pump is working apart from taking the boat for a long run and checking the oil bottle to see if any oil is being used (don't want to risk starving engine of oil).

Not really, apart from what you have mentioned. An actual alarm will go off if it's not being feed oil.

Cheers

hard2catch
20-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions,Ill have a play around during the week.

Fed
20-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Might be of some help.
Look in the third column, test the switch, a point to note...
The switch in the OK position is closed so removing the wires off it won't stop the alarm. To stop the alarm you would have to join the wires together.

hard2catch
22-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all your help.The problem was a corroded sender wire on the remote oil bottle cap.
Also just a reminder to keep an eye on the alternator bracket bolt on 135-175hp opti's as mine snapped at the thread recently,no damage luckily.
Cheers,Scott.