PDA

View Full Version : Transom.........what would you tolerate?

my v16c
18-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Checking the transom of the Haines V16C I can notice a 2mm to 3mm amount of flex at the top of the transom when i'm physically forcing the motor, which is fully trimmed out, up and down .... is it safe?.... what would you tolerate?
Thanks guys.

tunaticer
18-11-2012, 01:37 PM
That flex measurement at the engine mount or the end of the outboard where you are jumping on it? How are you measuring this 2-3mm movement?
At 2-3mm flex over the width of your transom I would suspect it is fine, 6mm I would be investigating. Nothing is that rock solid it does not flex somewhere.

rowanda
18-11-2012, 01:58 PM
sure;y all transoms would flex a very small amount...if your worried have it checked by a pro

OPTI
18-11-2012, 04:29 PM
should be zero flex in a transom ,2-3 mm its rooted

rosco1974
18-11-2012, 04:34 PM
not quiet totally rooted but close imo

Chimo
18-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Hey Rosco so you would believe that its possible to be a little bit pregnant too?

Cheers
Chimo

PS Either a transom is rigid and solid or its not. If its not there is an issue IMHO

anythingfishy1
18-11-2012, 05:14 PM
So true
My transom had 4mm flex totally rootedwas not pretty when the outside came off.
Cheers
Kelvin

Vitamin Sea
18-11-2012, 05:17 PM
should be zero flex in a transom ,2-3 mm its rooted

Sorry 16c, have to agree with Opti on this, if it's moving/flexing at all I'll bet lefty there is some significant issues, take out one of the top motor bolts, that should tell the story.

regards

vs

Jarrah Jack
18-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Take the screws out that hold the strip down at the top of the transom. If there's black rotten wood on a the threads you're in trouble. If they won't screw out 'cause there's nothing to grip you're in even more trouble.

my v16c
18-11-2012, 08:33 PM
I got a feeling you boys are right......I'm dreading the black wood :'( as jarrah jack has suggested. The boat would probably be over 35 years old. Can't expect miracles.
The we get into a whole new scenario...what's happening under the floor?......
They're great little boats with a great history,but how much money do you keep pouring in until it just doesn't make sense.
It's not as though i can park it on the side of the road if the transom tears off and the Mercury becomes a new artificial reef while I'm in the bay. (for those who want to say something about Mercury and reef being used in the same sentence..go ahead if it makes you feel better);D.
I suppose it's all about feeling safe, especially if you've got family onboard.
Transom repair.....$$$$ would you think guys as a ball park?
Thanks for the great advice as usual guys.

sharkcat one
18-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Hi Mate,

I usually charge around $1400 to $2000. Depending on the job and if the boat comes to me with the transom clean of gear ( motor, transducer's or anything else bolted to the transom)
If the transom is stuffed you can bet that the stringers are gone too. If it is an older boat 20+years the hull and stringers are usually laid up quite thick which is good . Because if the stringers have around 6-8mm of glass on them you can just let the timber stringers rot away , because the glass over them will be enough , the timber is just a former. Most new boats will not have timber stringers , they will either foam with 6-8mm glass over them or they are straight glass.
I am located on the Gold Coast , Contact me if you want me to take a look.

Cheers
Scott

dreemon
19-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Hi Scott, PM sent