PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel socket type

cybertech1
18-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi all. I have broken my steering wheel on my half cab over the weekend. I went to replace it but the socket is different and im not sure what type of socket i am in need of.

All the standard wheels i have seen are a small whole with 2 edges. I have attached some pictures if i am not explaining it properly.

anyway my steering wheel center bolt is alot thicker and has 4 edges instead of the 2.

I have even found a picture on the net that has 3 thingys. hope this makes sence.

Is there an adapter to install the standard steering wheel to or am i missing something?

Cheers, Matt

predator
18-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Use a pulley to get the remainder of the steering wheel off the shaft and it should leave the shaft with the keyway on it??

cybertech1
18-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Oh ok. so there is still more to remove. i thought that might have been the socket the wheels connects to and i need to get a wheel with that type socket. will get back out there and try and get it off.

cheers

Fed
18-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Slightly different but much the same I used a ball joint puller, you got any motor mechanic mates?
When you get a new wheel it will come with a new tapered hub to fit your shaft.

cormorant
18-11-2012, 09:26 PM
If you do't have a puller and it hasn't been off in 20 years it may be a better option to cut the old boss off. Don't belt the crap out of it or you will stuff your helm unit. . Basically there is a tapered shaft with a keyway in under that old boss that was once moulded into your old wheel.

Grind parallel with the shaft and grind a flat on the old boss down to a bees dick of the shaft. Careful not to hurt the tapered shaft underneath. The heat from grinding may be enough to release it. If not you may have to grind a flat on the other side down to the shaft.

If the helm is really old and hasnt been looked at check it is OK as it is a bugger when they break on the water

cybertech1
19-11-2012, 04:54 PM
thank you all for your help. much appreciated. I ended up buying a ball joint remover thingy from Super Cheap Auto. $25 for a 3 prong clamp. was off in a matter of minutes.

Now that that is off. All i am left with is a threaded rod sticking out. Do all new steering wheels come with the fittings required to attach it to that rod?

cybertech1
19-11-2012, 06:13 PM
dont worry about that last question. i got it all sorted. New wheel is all connected and working great. thanks all for your help

cormorant
20-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Some marine grease or antiseize on that shaft will allow it to be removed more easily in the future or just schedule every couple of years remove it ,clean, freshen the grease and replace. We used to do that and also remove the cable from teh tilt tbe at the motor every 2 years just to keep them rust free and easy to pull apart when / if we ever needed to.