PDA

View Full Version : Dont' forget to put the bungs in?

goat boy
15-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Dunno if this has been posted before....clearing out some old emails and I came across this one from a month or so ago. It read something like a brand new 70k boat that was launched with no bungs (Pt Hedland). I dunno about the accuracy of that, but the pictures sure make me wince. Apologies if it's been up before

wrxhoon
15-11-2012, 10:06 PM
If you have an auto bilge pump you will never launch without bungs, as soon as you back in the drink you will see the water coming out on the side of the boat.

Luc
15-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Your pre-launch check list should prevent that particular brand of Oooops!!

cuzzamundi
16-11-2012, 01:52 AM
Been there and almost done that!

Cuzza

wayno60
16-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Only ever did that once and now its part of the pre launch ritual.

Glenndarryl
16-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Been there done that, Bucketing water out of the tinny.. Caught a crab Whilst I was doing it aswell. Not bad I reckon

finga
16-11-2012, 07:13 AM
How big were the bungs to allow the water that quick that you didn't notice the boat sitting low or sluggish in performance?

By the way it seemed to have simply 'rolled over on it's side' I reckon the real reason for taking water on is they tied the boat up at low tide on a very short rope and the tide came in.
Huge tides up there.

Crunchy
16-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Yep I thought checklists were for for pussy's but now I run through it every time.....first item on the list is bung, last item on the list is bung!

marto78
16-11-2012, 08:00 AM
How big were the bungs to allow the water that quick that you didn't notice the boat sitting low or sluggish in performance?

By the way it seemed to have simply 'rolled over on it's side' I reckon the real reason for taking water on is they tied the boat up at low tide on a very short rope and the tide came in.
Huge tides up there.

You might be onto something there mate.

QuinTin
16-11-2012, 08:37 AM
hahaha i will just say 0oopsy!!! :P

WalrusLike
16-11-2012, 12:48 PM
I would have thought bungs would have caused a level sinking with no rollover. I reckon Finga is right. (as he often is)

propdinger
16-11-2012, 03:45 PM
he was taking too long to reverse the car and the tide came in OR he was waiting for mates to turn up and tied it too tight while blocking the ramp with his car :))

ovakil
17-11-2012, 12:58 PM
If you have an auto bilge pump you will never launch without bungs, as soon as you back in the drink you will see the water coming out on the side of the boat.

That's how I have my bilge pump for that reason.Haven't forgotten bungs,fingers crossed I don't.

Boat Hog
17-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Maybe they put the bung in and then rolled it over to empty the water out?

Just saying, 'cos some people out there ain't that bright!

Lancair
17-11-2012, 07:06 PM
I'll admit to having forgotten them once. I was on-board as my mate reversed down the ramp, I heard the water rushing in as soon as the boat entered the water and knew instantly what it was. Grabbed the bung and lent over the back and screwed it in before I drove off the trailer, ran the bilge to get rid of the 30 odd litres. Lucky I was on board to hear it, normally I reverse down, then climb aboard and drive off, I wouldnt have heard it rushing in!

Dignity
18-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I have forgotten the bungs but my checklist (the missus) includes checking them as well as other items like is the towball on properly etc etc.

Cheech
20-11-2012, 01:59 PM
They say there are those that have left the bungs out, and those who will leave the bungs out. You are one or the other. I am the first group.