PDA

View Full Version : Trailer width..........it's only a centimetre

my v16c
15-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Has anyone imported a boat trailer from USA which is of 2.51m width? I'm aware of the need for changing couplings, safety chains etc.
Is it just a matter of reworking the guards to get it down to the 2.5m max width in QLD or is this a major job? :o
You would think that adjusting the guards by 5mm both sides would be no big deal.
The reason I ask is because I'm trying to work out the best option.....either bring in the BMT from USA with its own trailer, and fix the trailer here to comply.............or get an AUS compliant trailer to pair with the boat there and then import.
For those of you who have imported, do I just bring the boat over with no trailer and meet the boat with a trailer at port?
Sounds easier to bring the BMT in via RORO??????
Thanks for your feedback now and in the past.

Captain Seaweed
15-11-2012, 07:26 PM
I ordered an aus compliant trailer FYI but boat is 269 wide anyway. But i ordered a magic tilt built to our standards. The price of labour there is unbeatable and product is great too

Captain Seaweed
15-11-2012, 07:28 PM
mine is also RORO tri axle though

fisho64
15-11-2012, 07:33 PM
if its only 1cm then worst case scenario would be chop guards or maybe different offset wheels.
Dont bring it in without a trailer cos you will lose on;
1/ freight cost (not RORO
2/ making a cradle
3/ craneage
4/ buying a trailer here

LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE!!

If you have a trailer here already, get a nice ally built there, under the boat and flog it here for a profit.

Best bet though is buy a new Aus compliant one there from a reputable manufacturer like Petersens, All American etc.

Todddo
15-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I used to be a sheety for a trailer company... in all honesty, Id just cut both guards off and refab 2 smaller guards.
Might cost you around a grand to do to get it all done and re coated.
Give a trailer company a call - someone who does hi quality stuff like Aspinall Trailers here in Brisbane.
Just let them know what you want to do and get a guesstimate :)

my v16c
15-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys for all the good advice.
I'm assuming that a swing away drawbar will be OK in QLD???.........hope there's no special rules on that one!

wrxhoon
15-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I have never seen a USA trailer 2.51 wide, most are 8'6" or 8'4" of course heaps of smaller trailers are 8' and I have seen 8'2" as well but 8'2 3/4"? Never seen one .
In any case if she is 2.51 just move the guard in , you won't even need to change the tyres/wheels , if she is 8'4" , you can still move the guards in and use more positive offset wheels.
Whatever you do get the trailer there, even if you order a new one , much cheaper and better.

Still_Dreamin
16-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys for all the good advice.
I'm assuming that a swing away drawbar will be OK in QLD???.........hope there's no special rules on that one!

I have a dunbier trailer with a swing away draw bar. No problems registering in QLD.