PDA

View Full Version : Margate Beach Works

kingcray
15-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Does anybody know what they are doing? Right across the road from the Red Dolphin. I heard they are putting a small jetty down there.

Looks to me like it may just be a wall of some kind as there was a crap load of concrete dust right the way along the water line the other day.

A jetty would be good for the kids, not a bad little area for a fish and a swim on a nice day.

Cheers

petelaska
15-11-2012, 07:43 PM
I think they are putting in a wall/steps like up at suttons

kingcray
16-11-2012, 06:21 AM
thanks pete

brock13
16-11-2012, 07:24 AM
not sure mate havent been fishing since i seen you at clontarf that day. I did hear a rumour many moons ago that they were planning to put protection to one of the east facing boat ramps but I don't think they got approval.

kingcray
16-11-2012, 07:43 AM
brock that would be great for margate and the flinders pde ramp if they did.

brock13
16-11-2012, 08:22 AM
They'd have to regularly dredge it though. The sand movement is bad on those east facing ramps. Ive been stuck there a few times on a rising tide and had to be towed out

sleepygreg
17-11-2012, 01:41 AM
Whatever they are doing.....they have been doing it for nearly twelve months.....and nothing seems to be happening. I drive past it every weekend. It is supposed to be 'strengthening the sea wall'....looks more like a dumping ground for spare parts for picnic shelters and storage for excess excavating equipment. Never seen any work happening there.

Luc
17-11-2012, 09:19 AM
I looked through the MBRC website and couldn't find any projects relating to the southern end of Margate Beach so 2 days ago I send an email asking what's going on.

No reply as yet.

I wouldn't think it has anything to do with the boat ramp as if they were going to spend any significant $$, increasing the number of car/trailer spaces would be required and given the location, where would they put them. I would think that the locals would also be very much against that sort of proposal!!

kingcray
17-11-2012, 10:04 AM
greg, i agree although quite a few blokes workin there today.

luc, locals never like change! i get into trouble for fishing in their whiting spots!

they dont appear to be working anywhere near the ramp anyways

petelaska
17-11-2012, 05:53 PM
I think they quoted the job on hourly rate lol

Luc
21-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Got a phone call from the MBRC following by email.

They're building a concrete stepped sea wall to stop further erosion and sand filling to rebuilt the beach.
The stepped design helps breakup the wave action, has nothing to do with providing access to the beach as the design of the steps don't meet the specs for normal stairs.

Separate steps for beach access will be provided.

Personally, I don't think they're going to have too much success in rebuilding the beach especially in front of the car park as the prevailing wind/wave from the north east will keep taking the sand away.