PDA

View Full Version : Small boat for rivers, is $300 enough.

aus2045
14-11-2012, 07:13 AM
I've been fishing of the bank now for the past 16 years since i regretfully sold my first boat, but now the desire to actually catch a fish or crab in my local area (Rocky/Yeppoon) and take my 6yr daughter so she can see a tiny taste of what I had as a kid in the 70s at Bribie has become a fever.

However after saving hard for 24 months I have only managed $300.
So do you think this is enough to get a small wooden row boat or similar?

I don't think I need an engine as they are just too expensive, especially on minimum-wages. Rowing is just fine, but need room for a few crab pots and a passenger. I've been looking very hard in the paper, online, but most are aluminium and they start at $1000 and go up from there, and that's for very old beat-up 10ft tender.

Got any tips for a battler doing his best to get on the water in tough times?

ozynorts
14-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Hey aus, here are a couple I found on gumtree. Good luck with the search.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/urangan/tinnies-dinghies/fiberglass-dingy/1009370443
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bungadoo/tinnies-dinghies/9-ft-fibreglass-dinghy-tender/1009260354
Cheers
Ozy

aus2045
14-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Hey thanks ozynorts, that last one looks perfect. Just sadly a little far away.

finga
14-11-2012, 07:45 AM
How do you intend to move it?
Anything with a half decent trailer will get more then $300 for the trailer.

Have a look around the slipways and dry docks in your area. Someone might have upgraded their tender and left the old one lying about.

ozynorts
14-11-2012, 07:48 AM
No probs mate. With the money you have you don't have too many options by the look of things. There was nothing on Tradingpost. You said that your budget was $300 and that boat is $250 so you have some fuel money to pick it up. You could call the guy and see if he will negotiate more on the price. Would he be able to deliver it for $300? Give him a call and see what you come up with. You never know, he might be a truckie or a DIDO worker who makes regular trips to Rocky.
Cheers
Ozy

marto78
14-11-2012, 08:09 AM
What about looking at a kayak or canoe, they are a lot more manouvarable on and off the water and you dont need to worry about a trailer.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tiaro/other-furniture/household-items/1008928981

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bestway-Ventura-Inflatable-Sea-Ocean-Kayak-Canoe-for-Kayaking-Fishing-Double-/230879992796?pt=AU_Sport_Boating_Water_Sports_Wate rcraft&hash=item35c1851bdc

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canadian-Style-Canoe-/321019631617?pt=AU_Sport_Boating_Water_Sports_Wate rcraft&hash=item4abe42d801

aus2045
14-11-2012, 08:50 AM
I need a boat because my daughters mother wont let me take her out on a kayak etc.

For me it would be great, but I really want to be able to take her out once or twice too and not have her mother report me to child safety (again).

As for no tralier, I have a box trailer that I am fixing up, and once registered, I hope to use it as a makeshift trialer for a little boat.

Glenndarryl
14-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Hey mate,

Came across this, http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-south-east/boat-accessories-parts/12-ft-dinghy/1009448362

Cheers,

Glenndarryl
14-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Hey mate,

Came across this, http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-south-east/boat-accessories-parts/12-ft-dinghy/1009448362

Cheers,

timddo
14-11-2012, 02:15 PM
all is possible mate,

I brought a $400 boat which includes the following
1. 4.3 meter boat
2. Good Trailer
3. 2 fuel tanks
4. 2 full oil bottles
5. 55 hp outboard
6. sounder
7. safety gear with 4 life jackets
8. rego

so all is possible,

aus2045
14-11-2012, 03:49 PM
all is possible mate,

I brought a $400 boat which includes the following
1. 4.3 meter boat
2. Good Trailer
3. 2 fuel tanks
4. 2 full oil bottles
5. 55 hp outboard
6. sounder
7. safety gear with 4 life jackets
8. rego

so all is possible,

Thats an awesome pick up, good job.
If I could be so lucky.

tunaticer
14-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Keep your eye open on the side of the road......people are not going to advertise a boat that is basically a giveaway.
Have you thought about getting a set of plans for a timber boat and building it yourself?? Very rewarding and not overly expensive.

Si
14-11-2012, 07:08 PM
hey mate, i have a homemade 2.6m timber/ply punt that i have used about a dozen times fishing. it's a great little boat, very stable and safe. I use to stand up in it and cast lures around. It has a proper transom for bolting a small outboard or electric on it. I use to have my minn kota on the back. I'm looking to sell it soon for real cheap t you if you are interested but i think it may be too far away for you. shame. i dont have any full photo's of it unfortunetly but one partial one to give you an idea.

aus2045
14-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Keep your eye open on the side of the road......people are not going to advertise a boat that is basically a giveaway.
Have you thought about getting a set of plans for a timber boat and building it yourself?? Very rewarding and not overly expensive.

Yeah thought about that, but I thought if I was clever enough to build a boat I should be clever enough to get a better paying job so I could buy a decent boat. Lol.
So I kinda lost sight of that. I might have to revisit that thought perhaps.

Chamelion
15-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Does no one else remember this bloke? Debates on whether or not he was merely taking the p1$$ occurred back in the day.

Shouldn't you have saved $5000 by now? - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?109930-Started-saving-for-a-boat

ShaneC
15-11-2012, 05:53 AM
Yeah I just wasted a few minutes of my life reading his old posts. Doesn't matter how much he saves he won't catch anything except moray eels and catfish anyway. Better off spending your 300 at the pub mate, put some on keno and you might have a win......

finga
15-11-2012, 06:26 AM
hey mate, i have a homemade 2.6m timber/ply punt that i have used about a dozen times fishing. it's a great little boat, very stable and safe. I use to stand up in it and cast lures around. It has a proper transom for bolting a small outboard or electric on it. I use to have my minn kota on the back. I'm looking to sell it soon for real cheap t you if you are interested but i think it may be too far away for you. shame. i dont have any full photo's of it unfortunetly but one partial one to give you an idea.
I'd really like to see some full centre-spread shots of your boat if you ever get a chance.

aus2045
15-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Found a 3.7 tinny at Roslyn Bay, going down Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Please post some more pics of the 2.6 punt Si. Looks like a little ripper.

Zippidy
15-11-2012, 08:02 AM
This might be a bit rude, but what do you do for a living?

I just can't understand why it's taken 2 years to save up $300..

aus2045
15-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Up until recently customer service roles. I have a new more technical role for an electrical engineering firm which I hope will pull me out of this hole.

But for the last 6 years been in a rotten place financially, hecs debt, a mortgage I can't afford, child support and big medical bills.

But I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Si
15-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Does no one else remember this bloke? Debates on whether or not he was merely taking the p1$$ occurred back in the day.

Shouldn't you have saved $5000 by now? - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?109930-Started-saving-for-a-boat

thanks chamelion. I dont know what to believe now. What a waste of time. Are you for real Aus? Whats going on?

aus2045
15-11-2012, 08:51 AM
It's never a waste of time when someone asks for advice. I got some, and looks like it may pay off, here's hoping. Thankyou to those who assisted me.

I conducted myself poorly many years back when I first joined. I'm a different person now, not physically, but mentally and emotionally. Please dont crucify me for being a knobb then. That was a bad bad time for me. I've left it all behind, I hope others can too.

WalrusLike
15-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Goodo Aus. The past is the past. You're asking for info and getting it here so all is good I reckon.

I know there are situations where disposable income is next to nothing and there are few options for change. You might be there now but as you said you may soon see an improvement.

I like the way you've owned up to being a knob earlier. Shows maturity and gumption. Good luck to you.

I hope your daughter and you have many happy hours together on the water.

finga
15-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Hands up all those who have never acted like a knob-head....ever.
No hands up??

Mate...If I was you I'd wait a little while longer and see how things pan out.
You never know. You might be able to buy a real decent boat in the near future.

Si
15-11-2012, 09:29 AM
It's never a waste of time when someone asks for advice. I got some, and looks like it may pay off, here's hoping. Thankyou to those who assisted me.

I conducted myself poorly many years back when I first joined. I'm a different person now, not physically, but mentally and emotionally. Please dont crucify me for being a knobb then. That was a bad bad time for me. I've left it all behind, I hope others can too.

ok, fair enough mate. Will take some photos of the beast soon and i will post up.

Zippidy
15-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the response.

I guess I should never take my luck and good fortunes for granted.

Keep your head up, it'll all come to fruition in the end.

ShaneC
15-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Fair enough from me too. Good luck with your search, I'd hold off til I had a gorilla in my hand and keep an eye out on boats that don't move out of driveways. I picked up my little boat by knocking on door and putting a grand under the nose of a bloke with an old 14 ft pongrass with an old evi and a near new trailer, and a carton sealed the deal. 20 pineapples in the hand is hard to refuse for something you don't use or need..... Now its my boat that I never use, but I will one day

Matthew Thompson
15-11-2012, 03:36 PM
A couple of years ago I was in Cairns working for a recruitment agency getting bugger all work at minimun wage battling along with just enough money to get me pissed on the weekend, I now have a 5m plate boat paid off and a decent job.

Chin up mate if I can do it you can to. Work really hard you will get there if you really want to.

Chamelion
15-11-2012, 04:03 PM
aus2045 sent me a PM.. I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt and conclude that he's legitimately seeking guidance. :)

tunaticer
15-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Plenty of us are no more than two months from bankruptcy in reality, all it takes is bad luck or bad health.
Good luck with your search and good luck with your future.