PDA

View Full Version : Redclaw & Barra from the bank

aus2045
13-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I dont have a boat and it's unlikely i'll ever own one now at my age. So i'm just wondering if it's possible to get redclaw and Barra from the bank in dams like Callide, Awoonga, Prossy, etc, etc.

I've tried many times for Barra at Awoonga and Peter Faust off the shore but never a hit. Should I keep trying, or am I fooling myself off the bank?

Oh and also can you catch redclaw off the bank, I have tried at Emerald, Somerset, but have not seen any of these either.

Thanks.

mines bigger
13-11-2012, 05:17 PM
fish below the awoonga wall in the boyne river, heaps of barra around (its closed season though), very rarely heard of barra landbased in the dam

Todddo
13-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Saw 2 nice size (70cm orso) barra around near the boat ramp heading into Monduran camp site. Fished there a bit but never hooked one but seeing 2 is always a good sign.

wags on the water
13-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Redclaw from the bank at Theresa Creek dam and Fairburn Dam. Barra (when in season) landbased in the Boyne and Calliope rivers too. Just need to work out where the buggers like to hide.

aus2045
13-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks, sounds good. Theresa Creek Dam is a long way out, but worth a shot.
As for calliope and boyne, I've fished that place to death and only ever saw a mullet jump.
Are you sure?

wags on the water
13-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks, sounds good. Theresa Creek Dam is a long way out, but worth a shot.
As for calliope and boyne, I've fished that place to death and only ever saw a mullet jump.
Are you sure?

I don't mind answering questions to help other fishos catch the elusive fish. What does piss me off, though, is people questioning responses. "Are you sure????" FFS. Biggest barra 122cm LANDBASED. 4 barra inside 1 hour between 85 and 96 LANDBASED. Mangrove Jack LANDBASED. and redclaw by the 20L bucketload. Do the research and study the areas and you WILL find the fish. I've been working away from home since 2005 and always have rods in the car, therefore the only option is LANDBASED.

aus2045
13-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Just sounded like you we're talking about a totally different place, I've seen nothing even close to that, sorry to pee you off.

perko
13-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Have you thought of getting a Kayak. Opens up alot of country. My brother has been getting some lovely fish out of his kayak in the Boyne, upstream from the bridge at Benaraby. And don't worry about precious Wags, doesn't take much to upset him.

childers
13-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Biggest barra 122cm LANDBASED. 4 barra inside

"Are you really sure about that "

aus2045
13-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Yeah, was thinking of a kayak but still a bit outside my budget. And a little scared of Crocs.

MangroveZac
14-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Barra and redclaw from the bank is quite possible. I fish callide, i have a boat but have never landed a barra from on the water. I have however caught hoards of the bastards off the bank with plenty being over the meter mark. As far as the redclaw go - if you throw a couple pots in off the bank then fish for an hour or so around sunset you can usually pick a few up before heading off. ;)

NAGG
14-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Given the right conditions - the bank can at times be the best place to fish from to catch a impoundment barra . If you know your locations & the wind has been / is pumping into there ..... you'll have a good place to start . (If you have waves crashing & discoloured water...... even better as it will create a feeding zone often concentrating fish)
I've personally seen several good barra landed this way.....
chris

mines bigger
15-11-2012, 09:25 AM
i can post pics of barra caught in the boyne landbased if you like, every second cast we were getting hit and so was everyone else all night (about 15 people fishing off a crossing) most were 80-90cm but we did get a monster at nearly 130cm

NAGG
15-11-2012, 10:20 AM
i can post pics of barra caught in the boyne landbased if you like, every second cast we were getting hit and so was everyone else all night (about 15 people fishing off a crossing) most were 80-90cm but we did get a monster at nearly 130cm

Just remember the closed season ......

Blindfreddy
15-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Just remember the closed season ......
He said he would post pictures....the closed season has nothing to do fish pictures.

NAGG
15-11-2012, 12:48 PM
He said he would post pictures....the closed season has nothing to do fish pictures.

No ..... but the location indicated does !!!

Chris

childers
15-11-2012, 01:39 PM
nagg what are you on about mate

c'mon buddy he said he could put up some pic's . prob old one's not too long after she spilt over

NAGG
15-11-2012, 02:49 PM
nagg what are you on about mate

c'mon buddy he said he could put up some pic's . prob old one's not too long after she spilt over

You are both missing the point ........

The guy wants to know where he can catch redclaw & barra off the shore - So naturally we talk about impoundments ........... then someone mentions the Boyne River
That's fine :)..... but I'm just pointing out that the Boyne River is subject to the closed season Just in case Aus2045 see's the photos .. gets all excited -and rushes down to Pikes or where ever on the Boyne to fish for them . ..... He cannot fish for barra there till Feb.

My response has nothing to do with the Photos mentioned ::) just the location

Chris

mines bigger
15-11-2012, 09:46 PM
havnt wet a line in gladstone since a week before the closure, i know its closed season, thats why i mentioned it in my first post, the biggest barra was caught about 8 months ago!

waggy
16-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Used to use the boat in Awoonga to get to a spot & then I would get out & walk. Caught plenty of Barra that way but the big issue would be the weed. After a rise in water level the bank is certainly a very good option, but on a falling level, weed might be a problem.

Jack1991
18-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Hey mate,

I can help you out a little with Lake Callide as I live in Biloela and have fished many thousands of redclaw ONLY from the bank... very rarely used a boat. The more pots the better... bring a friend to allow for more pots (as you can only have 4 per person I think) legally.

Night time is generally better then day time, but the BIG males seem to wander more during the day.. I always use fruit baits as meat/flesh seems to attract turtles and fish. I use a combination of rockmelon and half-boiled spuds in a kids sock (buy heaps from vinnies etc) and just cable-tie them into the pots..

For best results, space pots at least 10-15m apart (unless you find a mass concentration obviously) just before dusk, and check every hour or so after the sun goes down.If you leave them to long most of the redclaw WILL escape from opera house pots.

I have found that redclaw will cruise anywhere and everywhere.. from sheer man-made dam walls of rock, to slow-sloping shallow sandy banks.... Just experiment by spacing pots further apart and finding out which spots work better at that particular time of year.

If you don't get 20+ redclaw in 4 or 5 pots over a few hours, you're doing something wrong. Apart from turtles, Redclaw are the most abundant creature in Callide in my opinion, they are litterally EVERYWHERE, especially since the dam has gone from >10% capacity to <90% capacity.

I guess most other stocked impounds and freshwater dams/creeks will fish very similar for redclaw, it's just finding where they like to forage for food thats the hard part... Can't give you any advice on fishing barra in Callide as I'm a newbie myself but they are definetly out there...

Let us know how you go on your next trip and I hope my input has helped :)

Cheers