PDA

View Full Version : Targa Stainless work

MEG-A-BITE
12-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Can anyone recommend or knows someone that could weld up a SS targa.I have called a number of places and they very expensive.I don't want anything fancy just a basic frame.
Something like the attached picture.
Cheers,

johncar
12-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah they are expensive, there is a lot of work in them plus material, welding and finishing consumables and it all costs an arm and a leg.
I built one a few years back for a Cruise Craft Outsider I had, a basic design just like your picture. I totally did all the prep work, bought material, design, cutting, bending, shaping, flaring, bird mouthing all the ends to be welded, plus made a jig to hold it all in place.
So when I had it all prepped I took it to a Master of SS TIG welding who did a beautiful job of welding it all up as I assisted. He didn't mind at all because he loved welding SS but hated prep work. He said I did great prep work, no gaps anywhere so it made the job nice and easy for him.
After it was all welded up I pickled and cleaned all the welds then started the polishing job, again a lot of work.
After doing one myself like that and knowing what goes into it the price for one is not surprising at all.
I have since taught myself to TIG SS and did a job for VMR a while back modifying the Bow Rails on one of their vessels, did the labour for free but just charged for material and consumables. The Argon shielding gas alone cost $150 for that job and it wasn't a huge amount of welding.

Getting a little Centre Console built ATM at Origin so I might tackle a Tee Top in Ally for it down the track when I can save up for it. I don't think it will be as difficult as the SS and have you considered Ally for your project? I had one built for my last Glass boat and it was fabulous. Lightweight, rigid and looked great.
Pretty sure I would go Ally again if I was to do another one.

wags on the water
12-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Contact Dave at Greens Marine Stainless at Yatala.

tenzing
12-11-2012, 06:50 PM
That Photo looks like Dave Green's handiwork.
He did mine and it is worth the money.
Cheers
Brendan

sharkcat one
12-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Hi Mate,

Got this one made on the Gold Coast and it cost me around $3,500

Cheers
Scott

Bill_Corten
12-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Go and have a chat to David Green at Greens Marine Stainless at Yatala. 3807 9972. Very high standard of workmanship and surprisingly cost effective for what you get. Have clocked up around 2500 engine hours with my current set up. All done by David and just the best work by people who really know what they are doing.

Cheers
Bill

MEG-A-BITE
13-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Thanks,will go and see what David can do for me.
cheers