PDA

View Full Version : what to do??? Boat modifications?

FisHard
11-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Sorry, this is a long thread with a short question...
Ok, this is my dilema:
I love fishing and own a 6.2m Seafarer Venom Centre Console. I've put a new 200 Suzi on it last year and love the motor! My issue with the boat relates to the layout, specifically how the console takes up so much of the deck space, but provides so little storage or shelter. I look at how much room the Vagabond (same hull) has, and am green with envy. The Seafarer console sure looks sexy, but its a real space gobbler.
Most of my trips are overnighters either at 1770 or off the Whitsundays and the boat is set up with an infill in front of the console (to form a full bunk) and clears around the bimini. This makes it fairly comfortable to stay the night onboard, but creates storage issues and negates the centre console advantages. Because the console is located aft, there's not a lot of deck room behind it. Its all about compromise I guess, but in overnighting mode, its not great.
So I can hear you saying: "Just sell it and get a half cab or walkaround!" Well, its not that simple! When it bought this boat, I did a deal with the missus, something along the lines of this being my dream boat, and I'd never need to buy another one :D I've invested a fair bit into it with electrics, the new motor, tabs etc and just selling it and moving on, doesn't seem like an option (yes, I've broached the topic). So I am considering removing the console and having a centre CABIN built for the boat. Something that can offer sleeping capacity as well as much needed storage (for clothes, food and tackle etc). I reckon this would transform the usability of the boat and elimanate the compromise that currently exists on overnight trips.
The question I pose to all you learned folk is this: I'm guessing this will cost me somewhere approaching $10k, is that a good idea? My other 2 options are just to put up with it as is, or sell the boat and do charters. The problem with the last option, is my work schedule makes it hard to stick to dates set in advance. Sometimes, the best trips are planned 2 or 3 days before you go.
Regarding the centre cab, I have thought to get a quote from Moda Marine, they seem to have some style in their boats, and I don't want my Seafarer to look like a home made jobbie.
Any thoughts or suggestions you guys have would be warmly received!

Chimo
11-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi F H

Just thinking aloud here but as a Vag owner and given that you like / appreciate the hull what about investigating a new forward section top as per the actual Vag mould?

It couldnt / may not hurt very much to give Haines a call and see if they would lay up the forward half of the Vag top that could then be dropped onto your hull that you have removed the like section from. Mind you the Vag bunk length is too short to be a really good sleep spot so you would need to add another foot to the rear of the cab to make it work. NB. The Victory has a better length bunk!.

Will be interested to see what you come up with but we use the standard Vag cab for storage and the loo and Lindsay added two drop down rear side seats forward of the rear seats and like the rear seats and built a table with cushion that fits in the rear that also drops down to make a double bed so with the clears with insect mesh, the rear is a comfortable more or less insect proof sleeper cab.

At least if you price this, if its a do-able option, you will have a idea of one more possible way to go.

Cheers
Chimo

ozynorts
11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Tell the missus that you had a dream and you need a new boat to make it real. :)

Boat Hog
11-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Don't do it. If you spend $10 K on the boat and it doesn't work out how you hoped, how much longer will you have to keep it before you can get a new boat? Make the most of what you have for now and sew the seeds of how much better for the family a bigger or different boat will be/could be.

FisHard
11-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Tell the missus that you had a dream and you need a new boat to make it real. :)
Unfortunately Ozy, she's not that easily convinced! Lol.
Chimo, I'd considered putting on (or trying to) the Vagabond shed, but a walkaround would be much more suitable to my fishing activities (mostly lure casting around the reef). The idea of custom building something to exactly how I want it really appeals. I thought the bunks could extend into the floorspace of the driving position with removable cushions. I'm 6'3 so I need decent length bunks. The other feature of my boat that doesn't work for my is the bimin which runs off the side of the boat. It gives great shade, and combined with the front clears, excellent protection from wind and spray, but makes fishing and access to the bow, very difficult. I would incorporate a targa ruuning off the new cabin to allow360 deg access around the boat.
Am I talking myself into this??? ;)

tenzing
11-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Fishard, I can understand the pressure to keep the home a happy place, but what you are suggesting makes no financial sense. ( sorry to be blunt)
From a PURELY monetary viewpoint, there is a value to your boat now. There is a value to a vagabond or victory too. Most of them have had shitloads spent on them getting them dolled up with new motors , electronics , roofs , clears etc.
Those two values will be ALMOST identical.
There will be almost no changeover, surely, and you get something built for its intended purpose, not a cut and fill that may not improve your boats resale.
There a truckloads of boats for sale at a good price, and yes yours will be sold in this market too, but so what.
I have repowered recently and looked at the new value at insurance renewal and decided that with the 20 grand spent on the new donk its now probably worth what I paid for it 5 or 6 years ago , give or take.
Save the money and the grief.

Tell your wife you can take her out on mine for a compare if you want.
Good luck with the campaign!

Cheers
Brendan

Jarrah Jack
11-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Go for it I reckon. Once you brought that new zuk that was it. No point selling the boat. Make it how you want.

Chimo
11-11-2012, 06:05 PM
It sounds like you need the centre part of the Vag top and then drop a walkway on either side up to the bow with a narrow hardtop. By the time you do this you would probably be better off finding an alternative boat. Logic says you need to cost the changes you want to your boat and then recogize that as an orphan its lost value and then price another second hand unit IMHO? Your wife needs to be involved in this costing exercise and so help to make the decision.

After nearly 40 yrs of marriage, happy wife happy life!

C
C

tenzing
11-11-2012, 06:14 PM
BTW fishard,
The bunks in the vic are definitely useable.
I am 6'2" and have slept there , but more often just chucked a swag on the deck.
I leave all the fold down seats and tables off my boat all the time. The extra room is more valuable.
You can sit and lie on a big esky after all!
Brendan

FisHard
11-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.
I guess the first step is to get an estimate for what it would really cost. One of my fears would be resale of a "Frankenboat", but if I (have to) keep it for ever and a day (that's the deal) that wouldn't be a problem.
Keep the ideas coming- no offence taken to any opinions :)

rodneyk
11-11-2012, 07:18 PM
This is a difficult decision i would contact haines signature they may well do the job for you with genuine centre cab maybe ??????? i have currently got a boat being built with Shane at Moda Marine he would do a great job mine also needs a centre or shelter cab . The worst Haines Sig can say is no so that cant hurt too much because your boat is under there banner now and you also have bought a new suzi they may help just my thoughts cheers Rod

Chang Jiang
11-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Mate, it would be advisable to do up some basic drawings, on large graph paper and a list of everything you wish to achieve, if it is to be a full custom job you may be quite suprised at the total cost, the labour content will be quite high

Tangles
11-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Life is too short, people get older and want more comforts, so what was an imperative a few years ago is not suited today

i personally wouldnt contemplate hacking the boat as its out of your control apart from resale? who would look at a boat so modified unless it was a bargain IMO.

must be some good second hand cuddies around so if you sell what you have and get into something better suited for what you do now for not much changeover, maybe get your wife what she also wants as well would be appropriate...

NEXT BOAT.. i think its what i want till the next boat.