PDA

View Full Version : How long can you keep fish?

Bundymatt
10-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi All

I am planning on going on a charter out of Tin Can Bay for 4 days.
The boat does not process the fish and all they do is put them whole in an ice slurry.
That means some of the fish will be 5 days old once i get home and clean then freeze.
Will this affect the quality of the fish?

Bundymatt

wayno60
10-11-2012, 05:06 PM
I might be inclined to get off my butt and clean them my self or would they be better off being kept whole ????

Bundymatt
10-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I might be inclined to get off my butt and clean them my self or would they be better off being kept whole ????

They dont have a licence to fillet onboard. So the only fillets that are over 40cm could be done. then they are still only going into an ice slurry not a freezer.

Lucky_Phill
10-11-2012, 07:29 PM
whole fish up to 7 days on ice.( ice slurry ). Do not gut and gill. Brain spike if you want.

No issues with 5 days.

Before you fillet them at home, check to see if the eyes are still " clear ".

cheers LP

lucee81
10-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Really don't gut them???
We normally bleed and gut the barra up here as soon as they hit the deck makes for a nicer tasting fish. Fillet at home we gut to keep them from getting bloody.

Lucky_Phill
10-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Personal choice.

gutting or cutting a fish open and then leaving it in a slurry or on ice with other species leaves it open to bacterial issues. Not that it is an issue. But, leaving a cut fish on ice or in slurry for a number of days, with different cut fish can have bacterial transfer from species to species. Bit like our blood has different groups / types, as does fish in the case of bacteria and slime ( external ).

Having cut ya fish and then filleting within 24 hrs is probably not an issue, but we are talking 5 days in this thread.

Plus, you give the ice slurry / water opportunity to get " into the flesh " of the cut fish.

For me........... whole uncut fish on ice for anytime over 12hrs ( maybe 24 ).

IMO

LP

No Tiller
10-11-2012, 08:33 PM
When we did charters off fraser the fish would go into an ice slurry for no longer than 2 days. Then they were gutted and stacked,packed with ice for the rest of the trip 6days. Also the eyes will be discoloured if ice slurried with chlorinated water in 24 hrs. At least that is what we put it down to anyone with any other ideas as this was a problem for us.
Boof

lucee81
10-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Personal choice.

gutting or cutting a fish open and then leaving it in a slurry or on ice with other species leaves it open to bacterial issues. Not that it is an issue. But, leaving a cut fish on ice or in slurry for a number of days, with different cut fish can have bacterial transfer from species to species. Bit like our blood has different groups / types, as does fish in the case of bacteria and slime ( external ).

Having cut ya fish and then filleting within 24 hrs is probably not an issue, but we are talking 5 days in this thread.

Plus, you give the ice slurry / water opportunity to get " into the flesh " of the cut fish.

IMO

LP
I was more surprised than anything with leaving them whole. But in my case i don't normally do 5 day trips.

marto78
10-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Personal choice.

IMO

LP

We quite often leave fish in a slurry for 4 days gilled (bled) with no problems.

JMO but a 4 day old bled fish tastes better than a 5 hr unbled fish to me.

manta man
11-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Hey bundymat which charter you using

dayoo
11-11-2012, 03:26 PM
For a four day charter it is best to leave the fish whole in an ice slurry as per comments by Lucky Phill. If possible lay them upright on their bellys and then pack ice around them for the trip home.

Cheers
Barry

Lucky_Phill
11-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Good point Barry, yes.... stack fish upright. ( forgot that bit , been too long between ...long trips )

LP

Bundymatt
11-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Hey bundymat which charter you using

Looking at going on http://www.fishncruisecharters.com.au/index.htm (http://www.fishncruisecharters.com.au/index.htm)

odes20
12-11-2012, 07:28 AM
I agree with Lucky Phil, Also, Ice slurry keeps a fish seriously cold!

Noelm
12-11-2012, 08:30 AM
lots of professional operators don't just toss the fish in the slurry,the fish are individually bagged and sealed to prevent the slurry actually touching the fish, this is particualry true with the export Tuna market, why is anyones guess, for me, I would leave them whole for maybe 2 days, then clean and stack, gut downwards, and cover with clean ice, sort of like happens at the fish markets, fish caught commercially maybe a week old before your local retailer buys them for resale, but they are still "fresh"

netmaker
12-11-2012, 09:05 AM
enough salt and ice in your slurry and your fish will freeze. i have done this before by accident and my fish were frozen solid when i got home. i also remember the same happening on a prawn trawler once. it's something i try to avoid when after fresh fish but probably ideal for your situation. i would suggest filleting those you can, bag separately and freeze in the slurry. clean the smaller fish and bag as well to avoid cross contamination. something you could try in a second esky maybe?

manta man
19-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Hey Bundyrat, He runs a good charter operation, about 2 years ago went for
an overnighter. Good Skipper and deckie, food is good we caught quite a few
Snapper (Biggest about 6 kilo, plenty of parrot and other species no reds though.
You can troll around as we keep moving. An all round good Charter .