PDA

View Full Version : Victory Owners - Hatch Seal Leakage?

tenzing
09-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Can any of the victory owners out there give me the heads up on how to solve the ever present hatch seal leakage issue?
I was going to try to get some door seal type hollow rubber moulding from Clark Rubber
Hatch Seal tape doesnt do the job, and the way the hatch is se up the seal really needs to be thicker near the bow due to the wedging effect of the hatch closing.
Thinking that a hollow rubber seal might just compress more on the screen end and do the job
Any tips?
Cheers
Brendan

gofishin
10-11-2012, 07:28 AM
This is one of my bugbears too Brendan, as probably for many! If you find a solution let us know. :)

To help solve this issue some manufacturers are now using a proper hollow ‘D’ mould as part of the standard pinch-weld rubber extrusion ..about time! Trouble is for older models/style seals & hatchs, the hatch & cabin design (gap in between) needs to incorporate a greater ‘thickness’ of seal, hence you can’t physically fit a ‘fatter’ hollow seal in without putting a spacer under the hatch hinges – or I can’t anyway. Might still be an option if it doesn’t look too bad I guess, but haven’t tried it!

Fatter & softer foam tape (more than the original) has helped a bit for me, but still not a good seal. If I know the weather is sh!tty, or I am going to potentially be in a situation where I may ‘lip’ the odd wave, I use the old duct tape trick. Looks very unsightly, but does the trick.;D

Cheers
Brendon

tenzing
10-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Cheers Brendon
I see that this problem, and the other bugbear,the leaking windscreen panels, are fairly universal.
http://www.mrfisho.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14746&start=10
My clears are 2 years old and are brilliant and nearly waterproof, being sailtracked to the screen.
It is a shame that the original screen has always leaked and gives you the fair shites in poor weather as the water runs nicely around the glass and comes down right at the binnacle controls for the outboard.
When I had the Suzy put on recently I had Keith seal the backing for the mount on about the top 2/3 for this reason. it then drips away, but leave the bottom open so that when I spray up under the gunnel with fresh it can drain straight out.
I recently had the gps antennae signal fail and there was a solder and heat shrink joint back behind there and everything was getting salty. Little bits get down the access holes for the cabling to the roof mounted aerials, lights etc. Now it gets a bit of a wash after each trip.
I have spoken to Richard at Australian Marine Windows, and when I can get myself organized I will leave it with him to remove and reseal all the glass panels , and perhaps the frame itself. He said all the rubber seals around those screens are undersized
The Hatch must surely just be a case of finding an appropriate seal?
A proper cam lock type fastener would probably be a better idea then that shitty rubber thingy too.
I saw the new 6.2 seafarer at the show last week had something like that. ( but really is that boat a Seafarer??? a bit snobby of me I know, but it didnt look like a bigger version of mine , or like any vagabond I have seen)
Cheers
Brendan

Smithy
10-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Ultimately glass it up if it is annoying. I always anchor out of the cockpit on any boat I have had anyway.

tenzing
11-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Smithy, you must have seen my manual efforts Before!
Anyway , just in case it helps anyone:
Here is the underside of the hatch with rubber type latch:

I stripped the well stuck down hatch tape from the underside of the hatch - a messy , slow job. I am told that eucalyptus oil may well be the easiest way to remove the adhesive - Now I find out!

I got about 2.5 metres of door seal from Clark rubber for 25 bucks. Its about 22mm uncompressed and squeezes down to 8 or 9mm and is self adhesive.

Wrapped that around the hull side this time in one piece with the join at the hinge end, then filleted off the little rib on the half of the circumference closest the hinges.

The hatch still couldnt be pulled down tight enough to seal the forward side so I replaced the rubber latch with a stainless cam type ($19) and put it in place with one of my sons backside ( generous) holding the front of the hatch closed.
Screwed and bolted, and a solid R clip to keep closed.

I am sure its well water tight now though I may have to loosen it up as I worry I might be able to chip the gelcoat where the front lip of the hatch is closest the deck.
Anyway, theres one less place the seawater can get in to my gear now.
Cheers
Brendan

PS Thanks Tim for the tips.

gofishin
12-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Good job Brendan! That seal looks pretty good. Unfortunately still too high for me at 8 or 9mm, but will keep looking.

I like your thinking Smithy, but the boss might raise a protest :)

tenzing
12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Good job Brendan! That seal looks pretty good. Unfortunately still too high for me at 8 or 9mm, but will keep looking.

I like your thinking Smithy, but the boss might raise a protest :)
Mate they had a small version of the D shaped seal that would have been about 10mm max uncompressed.
Cheers
Brendan

gofishin
12-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Hmmmm, sounds good mate, will definitely check that out. Thanks for the heads-up!

WalrusLike
14-11-2012, 06:47 AM
I found that my hollow d shaped seal has a bit of bounce in it.... So paired with the dicky bungee strap loops that it has for a 'latch', the hatch can bounce open a tad in rougher conditions.

So I will be finally happy with it when I find a good ergonomic latch to fit to it.

'D' seals can't be beat I reckon.

Fed
14-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Tenzing I bet it's leaking between the seal & the deck rather than between the seal & the lid.

outta line
14-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Did the same a while back to my vic haven't had any water in cabin so far... summer time trolling will soon let me know.... Only I ran the d seal around the hatch lid as I didn't want the rubber to start to tear or tape start letting go when you get in and out of hatch .. You are rite it dose start to rub on your gel coat when pulled down to tight.. I Got some of the small white C Channel rubber and run it along the front edge of hatch opening doubles as an extra seal aswell .. I have ran a bead of sealer around my windscreen rubbers wich has halved the water getting in through there. But still leaks may look at getting it replaced aswell did you get a price for them to reseal wouldn't be cheep being a 5 peace screen ...Cheers mick

WalrusLike
14-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Yeah I saw the seal on the base rather than the hatch and thought it might be problematic but since it was already done I didn't say anything.

But really seal should be on hatch cover not the deck. I wouldn't change it now though unless you need to redo it all.

tenzing
14-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Would be a piece of cake to redo.
About 25 buck ansd 10 mins in time.
easy to clean up the polished surface with solvent whereas the hatch is rough as bags.
Got up there tuesday with 2 hoses and a esky full of water and didnt cop a drip inside.
Tried using the hose nozzles on hardest setting aiming up under the gap - nothing.
So I guess we will see in the rough. I do see the point of sticking it to the hatch but believe me its squished so tight now it doent really matter which is which.
I outlined the hatch before removing seal so I could redo if necessary.
It wont be
Cheers
Brendan

tenzing
14-11-2012, 07:47 PM
I found that my hollow d shaped seal has a bit of bounce in it.... So paired with the dicky bungee strap loops that it has for a 'latch', the hatch can bounce open a tad in rougher conditions.

So I will be finally happy with it when I find a good ergonomic latch to fit to it.

'D' seals can't be beat I reckon.
Get the stainless one at whitworths.
I would put in a tiny spacer under the lip before weighting it down to get the latch in the tightest position withhout rubbing
I might put a spacer under the attachment point to the hatch to lighten it a little, but dont want to screw/re screw too much into that block
Brendan.

WalrusLike
15-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Good advice Brendan, thanks.

Shark Poker
15-11-2012, 07:51 PM
When I was a kid I complained to my Dads' mate that his 'boat leaked' in the heavy rain and seas.
His reply was that it 'stops you from getting soft while at sea'
How do you guys feel about that?

WalrusLike
15-11-2012, 10:06 PM
I reckon he was 'soft' in the head. ;)

I can't see any benefit to getting my clothes and bedding wet. If we didn't want a dry place why do we have cabins? :)

It's like anything..... the hatch ought to do the job it's made for.

outta line
16-11-2012, 04:36 AM
When I was a kid I complained to my Dads' mate that his 'boat leaked' in the heavy rain and seas.
His reply was that it 'stops you from getting soft while at sea'
How do you guys feel about that?

iam always hard up when at sea.......:D:D:D::)::)

tenzing
16-11-2012, 05:53 AM
I reckon I am at an age where "soft" and dry beats tough and wet any day.
Cheers
Brendan