PDA

View Full Version : A question on bilge pumps

thylacene
07-11-2012, 08:38 PM
After each trip I slip the bung back in as I wash the inside of the boat to check that the bilge pump is working. This weekend just gone, plenty water no pump. The pump is a 1250gph Johnson fitted 21 months ago. It is wired to the house battery for the auto switch and separate manual switch on dash, and as the bait pump failed the weekend before I am assuming it is dead. 300 engine hours, and minimal work for the bilge pump.

A quick google suggests that the Johnson pumps are the budget alternative, I am seeking views on which brands offer better quality. The only potential alternative I have come across seems to be the Rule Gold range. Any other suggestions?

I am happy to pay for quality, I would prefer something with a 1 1/8" outlet to allow swap out, also seeking views on manual with external float switch vs automatic? A few extra dollars and confidence in a 3 - 5 life span seems a better approach to safety gear.

Thanks

Thy

Chang Jiang
07-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Mate what is the type of use of the boat, are you doing over nighters, are you leaving boat in water unatended? these all help to give a better solution

cheers Terry

thylacene
07-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Thank you, it's too easy to leave out the relevant detail.

Boat is a Caribbean Reef Runner, trailered not moored, offshore fishing no overnight, not left unattended.

Haven't copped water over the back to date, but primarily my concern is getting rid of it if it happens in a timely manner. Has not happened yet and apart from one trip where the bung wasn't tight enough it usually kicks in after extensive use of the deck wash. Doesn't have self draining decks, so wash runs into bilge.

Thy

Out-Station
07-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Be it bilge or bait tanks pumps ive had my share of bothe Rule and Johno over 2 offshore boats, all my problems have been with Johno's, never a problem with Rule. Rule all the way for me, imo johno's are shit.

Scott

captain rednut
07-11-2012, 09:33 PM
I personally don't use bilge pumps anymore but the alternative for me is a gulper style pump as i don't know of any bilge pumps that are reliable as the gulper, available in many brands and dont have a impeller of shaft that fail. they are a diaphragm style pump.
cheers cr

juggernaut
07-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Having clients with commercial fishing boats they report the smaller rule pumps are still problematic I.e. 500gph. Get into the bigger rule pumps and they seem more reliable I.e 1500 gph. However, the bigger pumps need to be supported by appropriate gauge wiring to support the amp draw.

thylacene
07-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Considering fitting the 2000 rule gold, happy enough to pipe sufficient amps to it, prefer to over engineer the solution. If the seas are that bad that I need a bilge pump the I probably need two. Cap'n Rednut can you point me at some info on the Gulper pumps?

Thanks

Thy

deckie
07-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Sounds like you take pretty good care of them with a f/w flush but before chucking the old one see if you can get a better idea what has caused the failure in it. Is the impeller worn ? Is the shaft rusty ? Is the float switch working properly ? Wiring corroded ? etc. Float switches are notorious for being the weak link in the safety chain...great in theory but also need to be taken care of. If holed/cracked and taking water, a usually dryish area subfloor now gets water flushing every ounce of grit and crap straight down back to where the pumps and switches are. Relying on a float switch as early indication of a problem is one issue, but then relying on it to perform when needed is another. Also the wiring must be overkill for me, because any motor trying to not just pump water but cut thru grit/leaves/glass fibres etc is going to struggle.
A single 1250 pump wont keep up with most emergencies i reckon, would be thinking 2000++ for a reefrunner if it were me....1250 is still a small bilge pump. Will help buy time tho which is the important thing in any unexpected situation. Lots have a double setup, one small for normal deckwash/rain and a larger one with a raised up float switch where its only triggered by significant water where it shouldnt be.
In terms of brands i've never had much issue with rule pumps as long as they're f/w flushed and regularly cleaned/checked which u do....any issues usually rusty shaft or grit grinding the plastic impellers on the small ones. They dont last forever tho..s/w exposure is a killer of everything even when not used much. To me, if you have good access to clean and flush it, then the risk is just as much switch/wiring failures Never had a Johnson pump so cant comment on them. I think rules are still 1 1/8 outlet up to only about 1500gph, not sure tho.

thylacene
07-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Learning all the time, from my research to date 2000 is the minimum I need to keep up if I left the 3/4" bung out (who does that?) with .6m lift to the outlet. Enlarging the outlet is not a big deal, just takes time and I would prefer to swap out this time due to time constraints.

The bait pump was due to shaft corrosion and three months no use, exacerbated by thru hull fitting. Have a thr hull scoop for that one to fit when I do the bilge. Can't go much bigger than the 2000 due to size of bilge. Limited space available.

Thinking I will mount another at deck level or one of the Gulper style remote pumps as a backup. Rather be paranoid and have dry feet ;)

MTAQ/BTAQ
08-11-2012, 06:10 AM
I have a Johnson on my commercial vessel and it failed recently after 7 years reliable service, but it is used 3 days a week - a question - do these need fresh water flushing as I noted a previous post mentioned the Rule needed f/w flushing.

By the way mine was very easy to instal.