PDA

View Full Version : Just a warning if you come to Sth Oz for fishing

pescados
07-11-2012, 02:30 PM
May be expensive if caught:'(

tropicrows
07-11-2012, 04:01 PM
I assume they imposed the ban due to the number of people swimming along the for shore in close proximity to jetties etc. I can remember back to the eighties people would be shark fishing and chucking in heaps of burley to attract the sharks, while people are swimming less than 50 meters away.

Boat Hog
07-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah it's a big deal down there. They even banned the use of meat and meat by products for use as burley - you can only use fish related products.

Feral
07-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I wonder how many fines Tony Abbott gets there in a day? (Like you would give them your real name and address)

GABBA110360
08-11-2012, 05:50 PM
May be expensive if caught:'(
so where are we heading in this country?
bloody unbelievable.
who gave these dickheads the powers to issue these fines
we need some not so common sense in this land

tropicrows
09-11-2012, 08:48 AM
so where are we heading in this country?
bloody unbelievable.
who gave these dickheads the powers to issue these fines
we need some not so common sense in this land

The fines are their as some people don't read the signs or have any common sense, why would you be chumming up sharks with people swimming less than 50 meters away. You can still fish for sharks just not during the day when the beaches are full of swimmers.

Owen
12-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Huh?
It says no fishing for sharks in daylight hours and he caught it at 8pm?
Sunset in Adelaide that day was 7:46 pm.
Unless they could prove he was fishing prior to that he hasn't broken the law.

aussie_stu
12-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Huh?
It says no fishing for sharks in daylight hours and he caught it at 8pm?
Sunset in Adelaide that day was 7:46 pm.
Unless they could prove he was fishing prior to that he hasn't broken the law.

It states no wire trace or large hooks between 5am and 9pm, so if he was fishing for shark and using wire then there's grounds for the fine

SunnyCoastMark
12-11-2012, 07:53 PM
The article also said there were people swimming nearby?

At 8;00pm? - in October? in Adelaide?........ NO WAY! What a load of rubbish!

I grew up in Adelaide - fished there' surfed there (mid coast), swam there. There is no way anyone would be in the water that long after dark in October.

Water temp wouldn't have been more than 16-17 deg. We would still be wearing full length 3mm Steamers (wetsuits) in the surf.

AS for fining people watching - are you kidding me? - I would be thinking that is unconstitutional..............ridiculous in the extreme......

How long has it been since anyone was taken by a shark on an Adelaide metrpolitan beach? 30 years? - more?

Sounds like some moron has been watching too many re runs of Jaws

Blythy
12-11-2012, 10:29 PM
They are kidding right? A 50mm hook, my flathead jig heads are longer then 50mm, I can understand chumming near swimmers, so why not just ban chumming? And as SCMARK says they have to be F'n kidding if they are even going to talk to the people who were watching, this sort of waste of public resorces sh!ts me to tears.