PDA

View Full Version : Goldstar boats (Opinions?)

Jack1991
04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
hi all,

Just wondering a bit about the Goldstar boats (made over in W.A. I think)... My dad has one and they seem to be a bit on the expensive side for their size. Dads is a 5.5 Custom, shaped very similar to the Adventurer series.. He bought it brand new a couple years ago (2010 I think) and is now looking to move on to something bigger that he can sleep in... Any opinions on value? I'll attach a photo or two!

Edit: It's a WHITELINE 5.5M

TREVELLY
04-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Jack,

I have to admit - it's a bit odd asking for an opinion about a boat brand you already have!?

If you are wondering about good local boat guys recommend read the threads about guys saying getting a new boat which one then you will see the builders recommended - then go and see them and get a price on what they can offer that suits your (dad's) needs.

These threads offer some names of local builders recommended:-

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?187981-I-Need-a-New-Boat

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?185493-Time-for-a-new-boat-...but-which-one

You will get the same advice over again if you are looking for a local builder - yes you are after a boat not as big as these guys got but that doesn't matter the same builders apply just smaller boats.

If you are questioning value for money then white line is the cheaper Gold Star and if you want bells and whistles in either Gold Star or local made boats you (your dad) will pay for it.

There is plenty to read in the two threads I have given you.

Good luck to your dad and to you with you new fishing beast.

hakuna
04-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Jack,
Bigger is not always better, you will have to look at what you can tow with your tug. I run a 6.8m Excalibur , with 400 lt fuel, 120 lt water I am running at 3.2 tonne towing range, cruiser territory .
But yes , they are built for the Perth Fremantle doctor wind conditions and are an extremely good sea boat

Cheers

Jack1991
05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I do not own the boat... My dad does, and I don't go out in it very much as he is a very precise and podantic sort of fisherman. Frustrating at the best of times... He is always saying how he doesn't like it because blah blah blah but I think its an awesome boat and would love to own anything even close to it!! Also, as he bought it brand new and we can't seem to find any Whiteline Goldstar's online it's hard to put a 2nd hand price on it. I would say the boat is in VGC (basically still looks like it just came out the factory, except a few add-ons). Motor has less then 300 hours on it. . Any idea on value? He paid around 50k for it.

Camhawk88
05-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Id say around low to mid 30s.

troy
05-11-2012, 07:16 PM
What was the price he purchased from new as anyone who thinks they can buy a true plate boat in prices mentioned above even being two years old are dreaming.
Troy

Dantren
05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Id say around low to mid 30s.
This is probably what a dealer would give you. My rule of thumb is burn 10K in the first two years, but there is no rule book in this market.

Camhawk88
06-11-2012, 02:37 PM
You can pay what you like for it fellas but a 2-3 year old boat that was 50k new now with 300hours on the engine in the current market probably wont do much better than mid 30s I reckon. In good times- 40k but have a look at how difficult it is to sell boats in this range now. Put 40k on it if you like and you might get lucky but chances are it will sit there and run out of rego and drop further in value.

The bloke asked an opinion on price- I gave one. Feel free to throw in your 2 bob- just don't forget to read the details he has given you such as the new price- it makes for a handy guide.

ozynorts
06-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Ok unless I am mistaken the Whiteline looks a lot like the 2012 Adventurer that is selling for $55k. They are sold by Coastal Powerboats in Burleigh. Why don't you send Darren, boatboy50, on here a PM and see if he can give you a price guide.

PinHead
06-11-2012, 06:01 PM
IN all honesty I know nothing about these boats but the brand name alone would turn me off even looking. Funny thing how a name can make one like that. Many years back there was an appliance company named Goldstar..from Korea..made the biggest pieces of crap going..then they called themselves Lucky Goldstar..still made pieces of crap..you don't have ot be Einstein to work out who they are now. Based on that I am afraid the name Goldstar still tells me to stay clear. The boat may be great but it has that horrible brand name.

Chamelion
06-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Wait, please tell me Goldstar is now LG? lol

nigelr
07-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Great boat, 35-40G my call. Jackman design I think, love the shearline. I imagine it would love the 140 on it too. Agree with camhawk, tough market atm to sell if your keen to move it.
Hull reminds me of a beautiful little Black Pearl someone was selling a while back. Good luck with it.

Jack1991
08-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Ok unless I am mistaken the Whiteline looks a lot like the 2012 Adventurer that is selling for $55k. They are sold by Coastal Powerboats in Burleigh. Why don't you send Darren, boatboy50, on here a PM and see if he can give you a price guide.

Thanks bud, i'll get straight onto it!

Jack1991
08-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Great boat, 35-40G my call. Jackman design I think, love the shearline. I imagine it would love the 140 on it too. Agree with camhawk, tough market atm to sell if your keen to move it.
Hull reminds me of a beautiful little Black Pearl someone was selling a while back. Good luck with it.

Thx for the input mate, general concencus is around mid 30's to 40k.. What do you mean by Jackman design??? The 140 sure does wind up, but we both think that it's still maybe not at its peak potential in speed.. I know it just does 60/kmh on a flat day (maybe 65z with 1-2 in the boat, sorry I'm not sure how to convert that to knots! Cruising speed I think in between 30-40/kmh, punches through most swell, But dad still thinks it should go better.. he's added some pretty neat trim-tabs to it, but trimming the nose doesn't seem to change the speed very much, just the comfort of the ride!! :P

nigelr
08-11-2012, 03:56 PM
The high shearline reminds me of similar WA plateys designed apparently by Dave Jackman Naval Architect.
http://www.goldstarboats.com.au/