PDA

View Full Version : 115 bombardier johno prop?

Wayne_Red
01-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi Guys
A few months ago I bought a 17' seadevil (similar weight/shape to haines 17) with a 2002 115 bombardier johno on it. 25" shaft so it has the V6 leg I believe and from searching the net has 2.25:1 ratio, 15 tooth spline. WOT it hits 6200, which is too high (I don't run it there). So I have been thinking of reproping at some point.
Pulled mine off today and it is a 15 x 17 alloy 15 tooth spline.
Looking on the net last night I saw an evinrude bombardier SS prop not used 13 7/8 x 19 to suit a V6 for $350ono. Doesn't seem too bad to me, a drop in diameter and 2" on pitch would probably drop the revs and give better performance?
Being and evinrude bombardier, I assume it is off an etec? Would it still fit my motor?
Thoughts?
Regards Wayne

myusernam
01-11-2012, 09:22 PM
i have a used solas 17p 4 blade from a 115 with V6 leg if you are keen. it's a bit harder to swing than a normal 17 but gives you a higher cruise and more stern lift. bit too much for mine unless lightly loaded (when its awesome) (i run 15 * 16p or 15p 3 blade)
sounds like it would be ok with yrs

cormorant
01-11-2012, 10:46 PM
The prop you are looking at being a smaller diameter probably won't be the right one.

What is the part number on your existing prop ( possibly 391200?) so I have a idea of design ? What condition is it in - still got sharp edges ? Is the motor set at the correct height because
as much as I would love to tip a prop under you the important thing is that the motor is basically set up right to start with so you can get better prop first time. Do you load the boat up with heaps of gear and for your WOT run was those revs with it trimmed out but not airated? Last thing you want to do is overload a carby 2 stroke by overpropping it or overrevving it either.

I have a brand new ( has grease on spline but I can't remember using it - possibly as a test) alloy 14 1/2 by 19 3 blade alloy here for a v6 leg. Part number 391201. Original Johnson /brp prop for that motor. . . I'll have a look and see what stainess I have as there are a few in the shed.

Wayne_Red
02-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Your right Cormorant it is a 391200. The 6200 was lightly loaded with a good bit of trim out. Looking at the BRP prop site last night the 13 7/8 x 19 prop doesn't line up with the V6 but is listed for the V4, all 3 blade props listed for the V6 have bigger diameters so I think your right again. Top speed (65km @6200) is ok for me and it does have plenty down low which is more useful to me outside. Maybe a 19 for the V6 leg on a V4 is jus just too much prop.
Wayne

myusernam
02-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Your right Cormorant it is a 391200. The 6200 was lightly loaded with a good bit of trim out. Looking at the BRP prop site last night the 13 7/8 x 19 prop doesn't line up with the V6 but is listed for the V4, all 3 blade props listed for the V6 have bigger diameters so I think your right again. Top speed (65km @6200) is ok for me and it does have plenty down low which is more useful to me outside. Maybe a 19 for the V6 leg on a V4 is jus just too much prop.
Wayne

i would have thought so unless it is a very small boat. i think standard prop for normal install is 15x17. 15x15 for large boats. you can try it...most evinrude dealers will have one that you could try for free

cormorant
02-11-2012, 07:46 AM
The v4 ratio was 2.00 so that is why the other prop may work on it.

V6 ratio could be 1.87 or 2.25. but you're probably 100% right that it is the 2.25.

I'm always wary or tacho readings and was the speed reading from a gps?
Those numbers and 2.25 ratio line up on the prop slip calc at merc site about 9%

All that said the 391201 14.5 19 will bring the revs down probably 300-400 when loaded which is about right and will stop you throwing a rod out of teh block if you get air and aren't quick to ease the throttles.

Just double checking is yours a carby or injected motor?

You can have the prop fro $120 plus postage from 2000 if you are interested. Won't be in original box but in a box of a prop that replaced it.

Fed
02-11-2012, 08:29 AM
That's a gift cormorant and with all the bits of the puzzle in place it's probably the right size to boot.

cormorant
02-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Did I hear a bid from you Fed???? Cheaper postage for you . !!!!! It will be perfect for the pool room wall if you don't have a rude to put it on. Actually I think I have a few bent ones and then you can tell stories about how they happened to hang on the wall. That sand bank just lept out at me, the brick at the ramp, . That kayak just slipped under me etc etc. .
I think I have a stainless 14.5 * 19 as well in the shed. and some matched pairs for V6 boxes from the cats. Even have a barge pusher prop I kept all the props , spare lower units, tilt trims when the boats were sold. A couple of the lower units have a distinctive rattle and a cooling water hole in the side so they are guaranteed never to overheat . Might sell tham as cow bells or wait till the ally scrap price goes mad.;D

Fed
02-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Did I hear a bid from you Fed????
No mate I think I'm on the money with my stock prop.

Just as a comparison for Wayne.

17' Seafarer Viking which would be much like Wayne's boat maybe with a little less deadrise?

90HP V4 2:1 gearbox 17" SS Prop (389948) has seen 37Kn (68.5KPH) GPS.
Possible slight tide assist there but I'm pretty happy with it.

Based on that I think Wayne's boat is begging for a 19".