PDA

View Full Version : Using a Mobile Phone while Boating

Mr Squiggles
01-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm assuming it would be illegal to use a phone while under way...True or False? Also, I'm assuming if your not under way i.e. drifting, that it is legal to use. Surely you wouldn't have to anchor, would you? Ooops, giving the bureaucracy ideas:-X

tropicrows
01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
I'd like to see them try to enforce that one. I'm guessing its false.

grinner2
01-11-2012, 12:37 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhh what would we do with out our phones , I dont know how we ever managed .
Suggest keeping it turned off whilst out in boat & using it for emergency only .

finga
01-11-2012, 01:05 PM
I was wondering who could hear someone on a phone whilst underway (full noise)?
I was wondering who would want to use a mobile phone at all whilst underway?
I was wondering who the magician is who can use a phone whilst underway? I can't use one whilst sitting in the lounge room with the Hubble telescope strapped to my noggin. Even when I can see the keys my fat fingers don't make life any easier.

I can see why someone would take a picture and send it on whilst fishing (especially during the week when everyone's at work and you've just caught a corker) but other then that????

Greg P
01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
New laws in NSW from today for vehicles

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/new-mobile-phone-laws-come-into-force-today/story-fndo317g-1226508352686

jtpython
01-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Don't think they can police that one .................. me being worse offender

honda900
01-11-2012, 02:43 PM
And the difference between using a mobile phone and a VHF / 27 Meg radio is????

Sometimes even worse when the radio is mounted inside the cabin..

Regards
Honda

Mr Squiggles
01-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Yea Honda I agree but you can also legally use a UHF in a vehicle whilst moving. Also, my brother & I often phone each other when one or other of us is out hunting. The sound of an screaming ratchet over the phone is very depressing & what's worse is that he makes lots more calls than I, the lucky b*#@*$d>:(;D;D

Fishbait
01-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Section 43 of the relevant marine legislation could cover this aspect?
Same as all things, duty of care.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TranstOpMSA94.pdf#page35

Feral
01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Section 43 of the relevant marine legislation could cover this aspect?
Same as all things, duty of care.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TranstOpMSA94.pdf#page35

Another big gray area! That is of course only good for inshore waters, not commonwealth waters. I suppose its academic in commonwealth waters, they dont have anyone patroling them anyway! ;)

GABBA110360
01-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm assuming it would be illegal to use a phone while under way...True or False? Also, I'm assuming if your not under way i.e. drifting, that it is legal to use. Surely you wouldn't have to anchor, would you? Ooops, giving the bureaucracy ideas:-X
drifting
i'm fairly certain if you are drifting you are deemed to be underway according to the USL CODE
you are moving and in suppossed control of your direction and speed

i'm not having a go at you just stating the laws as i believe them to be
cheers

astro66
01-11-2012, 06:08 PM
thats redonkulous ...id have to put my beer down to do that...

honda900
01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
mmm,

I see where your going with reg 43..

"a provision of a regulation that is declared by a regulation to be a provision to which this section applies."

Regards
Honda.

netmaker
01-11-2012, 08:08 PM
mmm,

I see where your going with reg 43..

[FONT=Times-Roman]"a provision of a regulation that is declared by a regulation to be a provision to which this section applies."

imagine how much some intellectual idiot got paid to write that...

honda900
02-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Far, Far too much.. i think Redonkulous.. sums it up perfectly..

Regards
HOnda.

WalrusLike
02-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Grumpy old man whinge:

I was coming in to Manly heading to the ramp one arvo after a relaxing day. There was another boat up my coight in the single file way of heading to the far end. No wind.

This bloke is loudly gasbagging to his mate about his day and I am thinking 'for ffffffs sake shut up and stop destroying the beauty of the moment... oh, and climb out of my ars....'

The point is with canoes and rowboats and other stuff around if I had to suddenly slow down then his running lights would become my new stern light. And his mind was not on the job at hand.

Are people so unaware of the world around them that they can't see they are a bubble of noise in an otherwise peaceful scene?

Old man rant over.... thank you for your time. :)

no chicken tonight
02-11-2012, 10:59 AM
There are no laws specific to he use of mobile phones while operating a vessel.

Fed
02-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Give 'em time nct, I heard recently you can't drink & drive in a boat now.