PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Smoke Baitcaster

Big_Bass_Fisherman
31-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

Anyone used this reel, thinking of grabbing one to throw on a 30lb Livefibre impoundment barra. The model im looking at is the 150spt 135m/12lb 6.6-1 17lb drag. I havent been able to hold one as i live in the middle of nowhere but the reviews are good. It has more drag and holds more line than the shimano and diawa equivlents. I currently use a curado but want to put some lighter line on it and leave it as a bass/sooty/yella reel. The quantum looks a good choice on the heavier rod.

Cheers

Ryan

warti
31-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I was in the same boat a little while ago. I bought a chronarch instead though. There is a good review on the tackle tour site. I would be interested to see how it goes if you buy one though.

Big_Bass_Fisherman
02-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Bump, is there no one out there that has tried one of these. If not i might have to be the bunny.

davo
02-11-2012, 09:50 AM
I think they may have alloy gears??? Check that out as that might be the weakness.

diabolical
02-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Have you seen this. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantumsmoke.html

Theses guys do the best unbiased comprehensive reviews out there.

Big_Bass_Fisherman
02-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeh ive read that, its for the 100 and apparently the 150 is better. A better review than the current curado, i use the japanese made E series havent tried the G. There is an american bass forum thread comparing the curado and smoke and everyone says that they are both great reels and have chosen one or the other due to there preference of Shimano or Quantum not because of pros and cons.
I have bought one from mtckle anyway, they are cheaper than anywhere in the world which is a first. I probably could have got a curado for cheaper from the states or even a chronarch for around the same price. But why not try something else if it gets such good reviews.

Ill let everyone know how it goes in a few weeks, time to start chasing some dam barra.

Big_Bass_Fisherman
08-11-2012, 07:05 PM
The reel turned up today and im pretty happy with it, early days i know. It looks awesome though. As for feel, the drag feels nice and smooth all the way through. The cast control cap has a click which is a great addition. The cast control knob is on the outside which makes casting setup up quicker and easier than the shimano's, the early additions apparently moved when palming the reel but this is meant to have been fixed (will wait and see). Finally it casts brilliantly, on a 30lb rod with 50lb fins it was casting an 80mm stumpjumper body (no bib or hooks) a long way and very smooth. I didnt have enough back yard to see how far it really casts.

A comparison with the curado. It has a narrower spool, however it is deeper and holds a lot more line.
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/4395/img7323d.jpg

NAGG
08-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Good luck with the smoke ...... known of a couple that have been burnt out by barra :( - Sorry .... they are a US bass reel

Chris

Daintreeboy
08-11-2012, 07:52 PM
It's worth mentioning that 30lb Fins has an actual breaking strength of over 50 lbs so you could easily downgrade your line for more capacity and better castability without too much fear of a bust off by the main line. I sent two samples in to Paulus to test my Bimini Twist on 30lb Fins and both broke around 40lbs. Had I have known at the time I would have went 20lb for my Curado.
You can check the Paulus website for more details.

Big_Bass_Fisherman
08-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks for that daintreeboy, I have a 1200yd spool of the 50lb, so may as well use it. I have seen that the breaking strain of fins is well above the rated so i will go lighter next time. Has anyone compared how much extra capacity you get with going down weights in braid. I cant imagine there would be much difference between 50lb and 20lb fins.

NAGG, in what way did they burn out?

NAGG
08-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks for that daintreeboy, I have a 1200yd spool of the 50lb, so may as well use it. I have seen that the breaking strain of fins is well above the rated so i will go lighter next time. Has anyone compared how much extra capacity you get with going down weights in braid. I cant imagine there would be much difference between 50lb and 20lb fins.

NAGG, in what way did they burn out?

1 was the drag & one was the main gear ...... & not after a lot of use
A mate who frequents this site may put his two cents in ....... he was also given one to evaluate and killed it

Chris

Daintreeboy
08-11-2012, 08:53 PM
The specs for the smoke on the net only say 165 yards of 12 lb line which does not really help.
Fins PRT 20, 30 and 50lb line is 0.254, 0.279 and 0.330 mm respectively.
Going backwards that's a decrease of around 15% from 50 to 30 and 23% from 50 to 20lb. So you should see around those increases in line capacity.
Can you remember how much you put on?
Either way like you say since you have the bulk spool may as well use it.

Big_Bass_Fisherman
08-11-2012, 09:22 PM
I found one site with three 12lb mono lines which ranged from 0.280 to 0.360mm. How do you work out how much you put on?

We will see how it goes with the drag and gears. Ill be doing a fair bit of dam fishing over summer, hopefully i can get a few to test it.