PDA

View Full Version : Spam, scam or A Reel Affair?

Muddy Toes
30-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Just had a look through my emails and noticed an email supposedly from a friend/fellow Ausfish member/fishing and boating identity that went along the lines of a bit of a mishap he had overseas and the need for my help to straighten things out.
Problem is I don't have phone reception where I am to have a yak to him and warn him because just by reading the way it was written and the less than impeccable spelling and grammar that is always used by him I'm 99.99% sure it's a scam that's utilising his email address.
Has anyone got the same email.....I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here that would be in his address book.
Very suss to say the least........

Eug
30-10-2012, 07:41 PM
scam...
saw a similar post on a different forum.

Moonlighter
30-10-2012, 07:43 PM
I got the same email, and called our friend and left a message on his mobile phone telling him about it. I think his computer email account might have been hacked. Have a close look at the email address that the message came from and it is close, but not quite right.

Just for the fun of it I sent a reply back to the dodgy email saying if he really is who he claims to be, then asked what brand of boat he has, what brand and hp motor is on it. And guess what, no reply!

I am also sure that if it was genuine, the gentleman concerned would certainly have travel insurance etc that would cover these kinds of events.

Cheers

ML

Matty76
30-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Yah mate I got it too and knowing Bill it certainly wouldn't be his style of email I wouldn't think??

cobiaman
30-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Just had a look through my emails and noticed an email supposedly from a friend/fellow Ausfish member/fishing and boating identity that went along the lines of a bit of a mishap he had overseas and the need for my help to straighten things out.
Problem is I don't have phone reception where I am to have a yak to him and warn him because just by reading the way it was written and the less than impeccable spelling and grammar that is always used by him I'm 99.99% sure it's a scam that's utilising his email address.
Has anyone got the same email.....I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here that would be in his address book.
Very suss to say the least........

So you got my email?

Captain Seaweed
30-10-2012, 07:46 PM
I got the same one Ant and gave him a bell. If you closely look at the reply email embedded it it says reej affair at blah blah blah. I have replied and will play a few games of cat and mouse for my own humour!

Muddy Toes
30-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys.
The bit that got me was that in the 'From' line it has his name and email address in there.
Not like something that's close but it's the dead set same.All 100% correct.

Apollo
30-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah, same. Spoke to Bill and he ain't happy, but is onto fixing it up. His biggest problem is that they have stolen all his address book/outgoing addresses, so he couldn't warn/apologise.

He doesn't deserve this.

dayoo
30-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Got the same email his computer was hacked and is disabled. He is not a happy chappie.

Cheers
Barry

Captain Seaweed
30-10-2012, 08:10 PM
your right Steve he doesnt deserve it, no one does. I have moved all my personal accounts to gmail and find it better as far as spam goes. I have a mate that is a computer nerd and recommended it FYI.

Mrs Ronnie H
30-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Hi
Just checked our email and found an email as you have mentioned supposedly from you know who.

Low lifes , scum and dirtbags rolled into one.

Mrs H

Luc
30-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Same here but in my junk mail folder so there was something about it my anti-virus didn't like!!

banksmister
31-10-2012, 05:07 AM
Posted on Nuggets forum
Have a read

http://www.nuggetoutdoors.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=15385.0;topicseen

Jakers 69
31-10-2012, 05:51 AM
Got the same mail, spoke to Bill, he is not too happy .
Replied to mail and told them where to get off, only to get a thank you and a western union account details.

Noelm
31-10-2012, 07:30 AM
It is not really a matter of being "hacked" all sorts of "trolls" can send emails to everyone in your personal address book, and from that, some will reply and that gives the scammers a 'lead" it seems very hard to believe how many people fall for the scams about a long lost uncle dieing and leaving you a trillion dollars, just send me your details and (some cash) and I will transfer the money to you!! happens all the time, in this day and age of simple communication, internet, emails, skype, mobile phone, text, ipads, ipods. . . . . it stands to reason that every now and then, out of the millions of people involved, someone will fall for a scam. We have all seen the online advertising scam, you list something, and 5 seconds later someone from upper Lithuania wants it, but needs you to pay for freight or something, there must be heaps that pay, because they keep running the scam.

Noelm
31-10-2012, 07:57 AM
I guess I should explain how this happens and this is only a quick rundown, not a technical full on lecture!! If you have an email "client" that being things ike Microsoft Outlook and stuff like that (not a web based thing like (say) gmail) we all like things to be nice and easy, so Microsoft has made these clients (commonaly called apps in todays language) very smart, back in the "old days" you needed to open an attachment to inflict some sort of "virus" on your computer, but these days, because we are so lazy, the client only needs an email to be opened, and to delete it, you need to open it!!! and from that simple task, all your contacts have just been gathered and sent to the scammer, via an embedded "app" from within the email. Now how did they get your email address in the first place? probably from some other person's address book, or if like me, you work for a Government department, they have simple public "staff directory" that will yield a thousand valid email addresses and names, see how easy it is? and how it can sprerad to millions of people in no time flat, and all for free.

MangroveZac
31-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Got the same mail, spoke to Bill, he is not too happy .
Replied to mail and told them where to get off, only to get a thank you and a western union account details.

Scum bags!, hey Jakers 69 if you were to report this to the authorities and show them the account details that they sent you do you think they could trace the perpetrators?

Noelm
31-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Chances are they could trace them, but it would be a long and arduous task, and hardly worth the effort, especially when they find out it leads back to some dodgey Nigerian internet domain that those authorities don't give a fairies fart if such things are going on or not! remember we are not talking about terrorist threats or anything here

WalrusLike
31-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Thousands of these scams going on every moment. Occasionally authorities temporarily shut down some operators who have been doing bulk scams but they are soon replaced.

The real damage is done to elderly folk or other vulnerable groups. Tell your loved ones not to ever send personal info or money unless you assist.

One day a real mate will be in trouble and will be ignored because of these aholes. It's the price we pay for modern communications.

finga
31-10-2012, 08:52 AM
I have no friends. I didn't get the email :(

:D

One day a real mate will be in trouble and will be ignored because of these aholes. It's the price we pay for modern communications.
All my mates would call me on the telephone if they were in real trouble and needed a hand.

cajunnsw
31-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I guess I should explain how this happens and this is only a quick rundown, not a technical full on lecture!! If you have an email "client" that being things ike Microsoft Outlook and stuff like that (not a web based thing like (say) gmail) we all like things to be nice and easy, so Microsoft has made these clients (commonaly called apps in todays language) very smart, back in the "old days" you needed to open an attachment to inflict some sort of "virus" on your computer, but these days, because we are so lazy, the client only needs an email to be opened, and to delete it, you need to open it!!! and from that simple task, all your contacts have just been gathered and sent to the scammer, via an embedded "app" from within the email. Now how did they get your email address in the first place? probably from some other person's address book, or if like me, you work for a Government department, they have simple public "staff directory" that will yield a thousand valid email addresses and names, see how easy it is? and how it can sprerad to millions of people in no time flat, and all for free.

What Noel said is absolutely correct. However, the easiest way these scumbags get to accounts / list is by guessing passwords. It is always a good idea to have a mix of letters and numbers in your password.

Gon Fishun
31-10-2012, 01:24 PM

Hey Noelm, I have a Outlook Express, Gmail and Hotmail accounts. I use the Outlook for 99.9% of emailing , use the Gmail once in a blue moon, and the hotmail only use it for sites I am not sure about, and it attracts 100's of garbage emails. In your opinion which email program would be a safe one to use.
Cheers.
Bob.
Sorry guys, open to anybody to comment.

Noelm
31-10-2012, 02:07 PM
I guess the real answer is none of them, email is pretty much open to all sorts of scams and abuse, just keep any anti virus stuff up to date, if something looks sus, dump it, there was a fairly recent scam from the ATO, the Aus tax Office, there was a link to the tax office website, that looked perfectly legitimate, but in reality, it was christ knows where, but certainly not in the Tax Office, there must have been thousands fell for that, filled out all their details nice and neat for the scammers, almost NO government agency, bank or building society, or interent service provider will ever send you an email asking to update your details, just be aware of that, makes no different how innocent it might seem.

MudRiverDan
31-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Posted on Nuggets forum
Have a read

http://www.nuggetoutdoors.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=15385.0;topicseen

Pfft straight up scam, no one makes an unannounced trip to London, theres no fish there...

Dan

finga
31-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Pfft straight up scam, no one makes an unannounced trip to London, theres no fish there...

Dan
And heaps of Pommies too.

2DKnBJ
31-10-2012, 06:45 PM
I have no friends. I didn't get the email :(

:D

All my mates would call me on the telephone if they were in real trouble and needed a hand.

Hey Finga

Your like me.Don't have enough money to have friends like that.
And as you have said a real mate would call.

Cheers Dazza

Bill_Corten
31-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Hi everyone and thanks for your calls yesterday, your support and comments. It was very much appreciated, but I was unable to respond to everyone at the time as the phones were going nuts, the texts never stopped coming and we were trying to sort it. Couldn't even do a broadcast to everyone in my computer as they deleted all the contact details. What was interesting is that some of you blokes have a wicked sense of humour. The foreign scammers got a bit more back than they bargained for I suspect from what some of you have told me and of course they got no money that I am aware of. Got an IT expert onto it and has all been sorted now. We all become a little wiser after such an experience and at least it is a good outcome. The tricky thing was it wasn't until the end of the day that we got on top of sorting fact from fiction and stopped jumping at shadows.
Bloody good to get offshore today and escape all the computer stuff. Some nice pearlies down the bottom end of the 33 fathom reef.
Interesting that they did the same thing to a mates wife yesterday morning too and had a good go at their bank account without success.

Regards
Bill