PDA

View Full Version : Depodding

Peter8862
26-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi all,
I have a allison vison with a pod, it seems to have to much weight hanging out th back for my liking, so i am thinking of removing it cutting the transom & building a well that will include live bait tanks, anyone see problems in my idea? also where can i get a engine mounting template for a 135 opti?
Pete

Smithy
27-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Why not ad buoyancy chambers each side of the pod and level with the bottom?

dnej
27-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Smithy.That was what I was going to say. This was in the early stsge of my reno. I removed the well,after the pic was taken.
David

Peter8862
28-10-2012, 05:21 AM
Thanks guys I had'nt looked at it that way.
Pete

dnej
28-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Pete, have a look at my avatar, that is how it ended up.

My understanding of the concept is , that the calculated litreage of the pod,equates to the amount of weight in kg, that it can hold support.

The pics show how it was put together, and how the well ended up, from the inside
David

firecat150hp
28-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Pete, have a look at my avatar, that is how it ended up.

My understanding of the concept is , that the calculated litreage of the pod,equates to the amount of weight in kg, that it can hold support.

The pics show how it was put together, and how the well ended up, from the inside
David

I think your pretty close with the explanation but when I had firecat stretched it was all about 'surface displacement'.
We added around 2.5 square meters of extra 'contact' which made the boat float higher and 'dead flat' along 'waterline length' even though when complete increased boat gross weight (fully fitted out) by around 250kg.
Mine with or without a guts full of water in both sponsons sagged in the rear to as it turned out a very dangerous angle.
Your way of construction "yes" puts the motor out beyond the transom 'but' you have increased 'displacement' area by continuing the 'pod' area full width giving extra 'surface displacement' and hence 'floatin yah boat' properly.

"I've seen and I'd be sure that others have notice 'rear heavy' pods about that can be 'cured' of this trait by adding as you have done that extra meter or so of 'surface displacement' by 'filling in the gap' between the pod and the 'hull plain'.

A lot of pod only boats go like the clappers at WOT but are as twitchy underway as a car with a crap front end.

"My view that there's probably an easier fix on Peter's Allison than screwing with a total re-work of the transom...huge job to add an engine well but".

"This is how it floats now........more water line contact"

(In original 4.9 form the boat sat with waterline middle of rear Whaler 5.9 letters through to lowest visual plank )

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x58/stevefisho/MY%20BOAT/allfinished025.jpg

Regards Steve.