PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofoil issues - smart tabs?

Chamelion
24-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Hi there,

My boat came fitted with a hydrofoil. It looks like an SE Sport 300, but I'm not 100% certain. The main issue I have is that under cruising speed to WOT it makes the tiller VERY hard to use. It's very hard to turn left or right if you have it held in the centre. If you are just off centre it'll either push or pull.. It's very disconcerting and makes for a very tired arm. My top speed is also hurt by having it on. I lose anywhere from 5-10km/h depending on weight in the boat, compared to no foil.

I've tried taking the foil off.. It does correct the problem, however I did like the advantage of the lower planing speed and less nose up on take off (something that does 'freak' my wife out a bit :P).

I was wondering if anyone had tried smart tabs - https://whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=135&item=36560&intAbsolutePage=1

They seem like a promising option for a reasonable price.. My other option would be to try a permatrim, I think.

All of that said.. At planing speed the anti ventilation plate and the foil, when fitted, are just UNDER the waterline, not running on top. Is it fair to believe that the foil may do what I want without the negative issues if I were to raise the motor by one hole, thus bringing the ventilation plate/foil presumably onto the surface of the water, partially if not wholly.

Cheers :)

Matt.

Chamelion
24-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Please do excuse the newbie questions I pop out with from time to time.. As much as this is my third boat and as much time I put in reading, it's often far better to gain answers related directly to ones queries or concerns as opposed to reading enough of others to piece together a likely answer. :)

Moonlighter
24-10-2012, 10:25 PM
I think your motor is too low. The foil and anti- vent plate should not be under water at good cruise speed. Get the motor height right, then see what might be next step. I'd be lifting it one hole and test again. Might change your thinking altogether.

Cheers

Ml

bf90
25-10-2012, 06:09 AM
Raise the motor mate, ya will have a new beast then.

Chimo
25-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Hi C

Agree, sounds like your motor is too low, as per the other comments.

Also to test that the motor is up to the correct height consider this test. Imagine you have very long arms and unbreakable fingers. Now when you are up at medium to fast cruising speed with your boat planing and your motor trimmed out you should be able to slide a flat hand between the water surface and the bottom of your foil. See why you want a long arm and unbreakable fingers?

If your not into skiing you can lift the motor higher than would be possible otherwise. If your motor hangs on in straight running but looses grip on sharp turns for a non skiing use that may suit you or you can go down one hole and the set up would probably be as good as you could get it.

Fresh water and sea setups will also be different commonly from my experience the motor needs to go a hole lower in the sea due to boat bouyancy.

Have fun!

Cheers
Chimo

Horse
26-10-2012, 06:30 AM
As the others have said it sounds like the motor is far too low. Different foils suit different boats. My boat works great with a SE 300 but got little out of a Lazizas