PDA

View Full Version : Ordered new boat in jan still waiting but need help with trailer Boat catch?

Hatwell
21-10-2012, 04:36 PM
The boat is still coming finally it's on a ship but I need to start finalizing fittings and electronics. Has anyone got a Boatcatch the one from Victoria ? Or know any one with one as I'm after some feed back on what they are like and how easy to use. Thanks from andy ps I only joined today so I'm learning the roaps

TREVELLY
21-10-2012, 05:07 PM
See post 2

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?176813-Improving-a-Dunbier

Highly recommend post 1 as well

Prowl n Wolf
21-10-2012, 05:10 PM
hey mate, don't have the boatcatch but have the l&r boatlatch (google it) and love it. reckon its the best upgrade on the sig to date. regards.

Hatwell
21-10-2012, 10:07 PM
See post 2

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?176813-Improving-a-Dunbier

Highly recommend post 1 as well
Love your work just what I need secure my trailer to my car .where did you get the trailer hood lock?the trailer I have ordered is an aluminum float on trailer (skid) should I fit the boat latch first and try before I put on a v block? Thanks heaps great post from Andy

TREVELLY
22-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Hi Andy,

I got the hitch lock from Whitworths - you may have to phone them first to see if they have one - they take a couple of days to get from another store if not in stock - great device though and OZ made.

The boatcatch, another great OZ invention, does need the boat close to centred. It is easy in benign conditions but not easy when it is windy or strong current. The skids i added to centre the boat are not cheap but in my case make the whole thing work in any condiitons i have encountered and that includes pretty bad conditions.

The boat catch is very solid all S/S and does have a strong restraining pin - it's a great gadget and easily alows me solo launch and retrieve - only hassle is not having someone to park the car when launching but retrieves are a breeze. I do use a snap on catch in addition for retrieves when driving up the ramp just secondary insurance until all other fixings are added when up on the flat.

The "V" block near the winch really does little - just holds the boat where I want it in final resting place - nothing really added to locating the boat as a guide but yes good as final security and position - just stops it rattling about. I have seen on the boat catch videos how they use the "V" guides near the front to centre the boat near the catch but with my trailer fully rollered I needed more than that to centre the boat. Your trailer being a skid one may be better at centring the boat. I did fit the latch first then I cut in the small "V" block to suit.

Good luck with it - if you get it right you will be very impressed with how well it works.

Hatwell
22-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Trev you have helped me big time .ill try whitworths thanks . Ps do you know much about transducers .?
Do you have a drumb winch?

Hatwell
23-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Trevelly I went to whitworths and brought the yellow trailer hood lock today ready for when my boat arrives so thank you very much from Andy

TREVELLY
23-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Trevelly I went to whitworths and brought the yellow trailer hood lock today ready for when my boat arrives so thank you very much from Andy

You are welcome Andy - don't over look the advice I gave with it though that the padlock is not so great so recommend you go to Bunnings and get a Bessa Abloy Stainless model - $60 and well worth it ;)

rexaway123
23-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Hey mate I have the large size Boat catch setup on my trailer for drive-on by myself solo all time with a 7m noosacat...works a treat... to be honest I am not quite sure how I would manage without it with my boat the size and weight that it is.

Despite they say you can pull up ramp with only it hooked up... I always snap on safety chain as well since I have to climb down ladder on front of boat trailer anyways... I dont want to be that one guy that it fails on and my boat ends up on concrete

i just ordered it online and it came in 2-3 days

Hatwell
23-10-2012, 11:31 PM
No not the concrete ,! My previouse boat a 625 cruise craft I drove on and off but had to leave motor going and in gear to hold boat in place for me to jump over the front and attach boat then jump back up and turn motor off . If a boat is behind I nearly wash them away thanks from andy

Hatwell
24-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Trevelly I took your advice and went to buntings and there was only one of those abloy stainless steel marine padlocks left so I got it thanks from andy