PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Prawns

castlemaine
18-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Going interstate to the brother-in-laws for Christmas.

I was hoping to take some cooked prawns down to him. Any ideas of best way to freeze them.

I'll like to freeze them first then take them in an esky of dry ice.

Cheers8-)

tropicrows
18-10-2012, 02:04 PM
How are you getting there, car plane train ???
I just took some frozen fish to Vic, all wrapped up in lots of news paper, by plane and it was still rock solid on arrival.

castlemaine
18-10-2012, 08:19 PM
How are you getting there, car plane train ???
I just took some frozen fish to Vic, all wrapped up in lots of news paper, by plane and it was still rock solid on arrival.

Re-thinking ... Plane, to Tassie. Probably hand luggage as you said lots of newspaper. But do I freeze the prawns in a brine or as is?

ifishcq1
18-10-2012, 09:23 PM
you better check the requirements of the airline and also keep an eye on your weight because excess baggage can cost more than they would pay for prawns down there

Shelby35
18-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Just buy cooked frozen one that had been cook and snap frozen at sea and then defrost in brine.
Byron

Mr__Bean
19-10-2012, 01:17 AM
No dry ice to be taken on board, it won't get past security.

Darren

tropicrows
19-10-2012, 08:16 AM
I put one of those esky freezer blocks in with the frozen fish, then lots of news paper and then in a sealed plastic bag in the middle of my suit case. Ends up being very well insulated.

cormorant
19-10-2012, 11:13 AM
The foam boxes and little eskies are great cheap and lightweight and so is tin foil. Years ago we used to use a courier and they actually had cold store a both Syd , Melb and bris airport for sending fresh chilled food samples and they had those gel sheets of reuseable ice so no chance of leakage. It all went Qantas freight but we couldn't afford them direct. The boxes had temp tags in them so we could tell if the max temp inside the box to ensure no spoilage Your local fish co-op will know who they use locally and may even provide the service. Drop at the airport courier depot and collect at the airport cold store the other end or have them do it door to door. As it is all cold chain logistics delays etc don't mean off fish.

As someone above said depending on what prawns you want or are avaliable you may be better with a commercial snap frozen 10kg box straight from the co-op.

Another point is that a tassie co-op fishmonger can and does order QLD prawns so you might be trying to ship what is already avaliable there. I know coffs stuff goes there.

Noelm
19-10-2012, 11:32 AM
fish and stuff in a plane can be a mixed bag (trust me I know) before you get off at Sydney (don't know about tassie) they say over the aircraft PA that NO FISH, FRESH OR FROZEN can be taken into the airport (but I have on many occasions) so if you want to do it all nice and above board, I would ring the airline first as see what their stand is on it. back to feezing Prawns, I guess you are catching your own then?? if so, cook them as per usual, freeze them straight away in sealed small "packages" , dont worry about brines and so on, and pack them in lots of newspaper for the trip, no ice will be allowed.