PDA

View Full Version : been there done that >>Charon Point

benji64
18-10-2012, 06:55 AM
two and a half hours of dirt north east of malbaro, the last 12 ks took AND HOUR and ten minutes we finally reached camp site . launched tinneys as tide was in and set pots then back to camp to set up . lovely place but tides were against us with a midday high tide and ramp only accessable half tide in to half tide out.huge tides and unfamiler territory had fishing limited but managed a couple of threadies and 2 small barra .but the crab we caught were by far the best quality as in size and fulness i have seen in years .we brought home 20(between 4 of us )after 2 days and cooked the in a combi oven on steam at work and they came up a treat.

manta man
18-10-2012, 08:03 AM
I bet ya, they taste as good as they look. Nice Catch Buddy

spelchek
18-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Hi Benji - interested in your 'combi-steam' reference. We've just reno'd our lounge/dingin/kitchen and have included a combi-steam oven (AEG). Sounds like you work with food (reference to oven at work) and know your steam ovens. There seems to be precious little of substance on the interweb about using these ovens - can you pint me to any good sources of info? (Book or web).

We've had great success with fish and also ribs (and how good do they come out!!!) but want to get a bit more 'adventurous' with it.

Looking forward to getting a few muddies myself to have a crack at them in the steam oven. What was your technique? - whole or in pieces, how long in the oven , etc??

Cheers!

benji64
18-10-2012, 03:02 PM
gday spelhek,
yea chef by trade but manage a club now ,we have a couple of hobart combi ovens there, as it states combi meaning both steam cooking or convection(dry) cooking or a comination of both.i dont know if a domestic combi oven are capable of cooking with a 100%steamat 100degrees celius. if they are great. we usually clean and crack first and steam for 6minutes ,but these ones we kept whole and steamed for 20mins(20 crabs in one go)they come out great as they dont full up with waterand boil the sh#$# through the body caviety,also have done bugs and prawns and crays in them as well,and there is little or no loss of flavour as they cook within themselves and no added salt which must be good for us, the flesh is always firm . will go through some of manuals at work for reference for you ,cheers

spelchek
18-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Steam + Convection on our model as well. Our oven can manage 96 degrees for the 100% steam cycle.

When you say 'cracked' them - do you mean just crack the shell - or crack and pull apart?

Thanks for taking the time to check manuals etc. really appreciate it. BTW - have you tried spare-ribs cooked in steam+convection cycle? Absolutely out of this world.

Oh - out of interest, what club do you manage now?

ubar
18-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Thats awesome mate well done , wish the muddies where like that around noosa at the moment lol

benji64
19-10-2012, 07:01 AM
crack them as open and clean the body and break in quarters crack the nippers and place the cleaned lid back on top them for 8 minutes on a tay.i am operations manager at keppel bay sailing club in yeppoon ,we have 3 clubs including a bowls club. the american ribs steamed first then basted in a smokey bbq sauce these grilled on the barbie come up a treat.i spoke to a mate who works and sells combi ovens and he said domestic ovens would do the job maybe about 18 minutes if not loading up with 20 crabs ,good luck with them .still chasing info for youo

sharkymark2
19-10-2012, 07:41 AM
I Just did the training on Aeg ovens down at Electrolux at Hemmant and fell in lust with the oven with steam function. 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% steam function same time as cooking with convection. Makes a big difference in moistness. I have been trying to convince the missus to upgrade so will show her all these reports. Thanks for ann interesting story guys.