PDA

View Full Version : Change from tiller to side console

Seahorse
16-10-2012, 05:40 AM
Just got a quote from stones corn mar to change boat from tiller to side console. Going with a seajay console and upgrading to 60 hp yammy 4 st high thrust motor.
I know prob over capitalizing boat but really over the tiller.

Anyone else done this excercise before?

I currently got a 50 hp yammy 4 st tiller, only done about 50 hrs. Anyone interested rather than trading?

Cheers
Greg

astro66
16-10-2012, 06:06 AM
mate im looking at putting a 50hp 4st onto mine...got some info on the motor...
Work is slowing down out here mr BMA is cutting back like ive never seen...working on daunia mine which will be finished soon and cavill ridge is under way and finishing early next year...
so hopefully i can get home more than the 3 or 4 days a month im home at the moment ...more time to fish :P

Seahorse
16-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Astro
I bought boat and motor new in july 2010.
I mainly only fish around woody point , redcliffe area so doesnt do much running.

I would say it would be around 50 hrs.

Got trim& tilt on arm, troll speed controll. Like new

kizza1
16-10-2012, 02:31 PM
i would go a standard 60 not a high thrust. high thrust engines/bigfoot are just designed for houseboats. there made with bigger gearboxes to be able to spin props with larger surface area.

Seahorse
16-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Kizza, why wouldnt that be a good thing? Would that get u out quicker and give bit more top speed

Cheers

oldie
16-10-2012, 08:01 PM
hi thrust will give better hole shot, the small foots/non high thrusts spin little probs and may have more top end but much less out of the hull, the myth about only being good for house boats is 'busted'

Giffo65
18-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Seahorse

I have a Yammy 60 4 banger in the high thrust version on a 4.5m Polycraft.I changed my boat from tiller to Centre console years ago and it is a much better boat,especially for bar crossings.I have a mate who had a 4.5 m tinnie CC with a standard 60 hp 4 stroke Yammy, and he would only just pull away at WOT in flat water,remembering that the tinnie is lighter than my plastic tub.How often can you go at WOT anyway,If you want to go for a spin in the boat one day, and a fish ,shoot me a PM.

Seahorse
18-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks giffo.
I was speaking to bloke at stones corner marine today and he felt not worth it. He said same motor other than bigger gear box.

I think i would put on a permatrim which does same thing as i will need to keep nose down at lower peed and permatrim is only way to do it.

Cheers