PDA

View Full Version : crab pot thieves caught red handed

netmaker
14-10-2012, 07:40 PM
hi all. a feel good story for the week. i heard of a story at wello pt ramp this week. old mate goes down the ramp to collect his pots and boat coming in with 2 on board had a collection of familiar looking pots. so old mate asks: "is your name dave?". bloke answers yes. then: "and you live at this address?". uh yeah. "well thats f*&^%n strange cause my name's dave and i live at that address and i've never seen ya."
old mate then parks in front of blokes car blocking him from getting his boat out and calls the cops. $2000 fine each for the thieves!
picked up my day, hope it does the same for you;D

Feral
14-10-2012, 07:47 PM
unreal.
Lucky they didn't go the biff to move him.

kingcray
14-10-2012, 07:49 PM
yeah thats awesome. Good on him
Similar thing happened at Scarborough yesterday i heard, but i think it got a little more violent

PADDLES
14-10-2012, 07:51 PM
i'm sure if there are plenty of witnesses they'd be pretty silly to want to add assault charges to their theft charges.

TREVELLY
14-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Good to read some are getting caught - no respect for the thieving mongrels

NAGG
14-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Awesome ...... love to hear more of it

Chris

SWANO1
15-10-2012, 07:30 AM
yeah thats awesome. Good on him
Similar thing happened at Scarborough yesterday i heard, but i think it got a little more violent
tell us more kingcray, any boat/car description of the scarby scumbags?

MEG-A-BITE
15-10-2012, 07:45 AM
good job,10/10 for getting them red handed.

Luc
15-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Great to see some of the mongrels get caught!!

Maybe we should tell Can-do of this method of raising revenue.

kingcray
15-10-2012, 08:09 AM
tell us more kingcray, any boat/car description of the scarby scumbags?

SWANO i may be wrong might not have been yesterday but it was recent. Some guys were talking about it at clontarf on saturday and somebody mentioned it on thread 'police at clontarf boat ramp'. The thieving doesnt seem to be too bad round reddy anymore, but still happens a lot in the pine. At least some of them are copping some payback

ShaneC
15-10-2012, 09:46 AM
I dont know that the local crabbers would agree with your statement mate. They are losing more gear then ever.

fat-buoy
15-10-2012, 09:49 AM
I remember when old Rex Hunt came to Hayes Inlet to go crabbing and set the pots only to have some lowlife knock them off.. He was less than complimentary of the locals on his show... I would be more than happy to show them some local hospitality for their efforts :)

cormorant
15-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Be nice to see the photos of the blokes faces and their boat, car as some never change and maybe a name and a face might be a bit more of a disincentive especially if they are locals. Big colour photos on a few poles at ramps and at teh local clubs will soon see who their mates are. After seeing some violence at ramps all I can say is before it gets serious get some video and photos on the camera and put it away safe. Witnessed disappear in seconds and your are left with the other guys lying to police if you can actually get them to turn up.

Why wasn't their boat confiscated?

Rrrrrr
16-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Good to hear that these scum were caught in the act and were dished out what they deserved (well almost all they deserved);)

kingcray
16-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I dont know that the local crabbers would agree with your statement mate. They are losing more gear then ever.

Shane i am a local crabber, i must just be one of the lucky ones. Ive lost a few in the past but couldve lost a lot more. You have to be pretty brave to pinch traps from the foreshores as it is so exposed and you never know who is watching. Ever since i started spraying my floats bright colours it seems to have turned the thieves away for some reason.

Axl
16-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Good to see they got caught, but it still amazes me that these people think that they can get away with it.

I beleive that I have been lucky in my 10 odd years of leaving pots out for a week at a time and checking/rebaiting each morning I have only lost 2 or 3, but in saying that I should not have lost any.

You never know who is watching.

Mossy247
16-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Good to see they got fined, lucky not to punch them there and then but that wouldn't solve anything he did the right thing.

I would be interested to know how many bloody dave's there are at wello point boat ramp at any given time. LoL

Linedropper
16-10-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm redoing my crab pot labels before the weekend as a couple fell off lately.

The new ones will display my details as required by the law along with a nice message saying I'm not far away and prepared to ram them. It wont be worded as nicely like that though.

MudRiverDan
16-10-2012, 08:31 PM
I remember when old Rex Hunt came to Hayes Inlet to go crabbing and set the pots only to have some lowlife knock them off.. He was less than complimentary of the locals on his show... I would be more than happy to show them some local hospitality for their efforts :)

LOL! ol Rexy getting his pots cleaned up by some local yokels.

that's very funny.

Dan

ashh
16-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Was he only fined for what was in his possession at the ramp?
Do they have the right to inspect his yard? I bet he would have had an even bigger stash of em at home...
Good to see the lowlife was caught none the less.

ubar
19-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Hope they get named and shamed , i think idiots dont relise the money and time that goes into crabbing Pro and Amatuer , its funny as these low lifes wouldnt mugg you for a $100 but will knock off 4 mudcrab pots. Im thinking of setting up a game camera so can get boat regoes , Thing that makes me shake my head is ITS UN AUSTRALIAN , I no a bloke up here who they robbed his pots and then slashed them up!!! i mean WTF.

castlemaine
19-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I was talking to a local pro-crabber at a BBQ and asked him about pot theft. He told me he had rammed boats, jumped on the other boat and punched the thieves but still it happens.
At night he's no sooner dropped pots off and he can see the lights of boats checking his pots.
But what surprised me was that he said sometimes the thieves were pros too.
He tends to do the southern bay and Logan River.
I too was in a situation where we chased a thief in the Pumicestone Passage. He was lucky my mates didn't get hold of him.
What amazes me is that it still happens.

ubar
19-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Need a tripwire with a underwater charge .....I just cant wrap my head around people sometimes....hes a Pro crabber and its his livelyhood and idiots do this.....

Mick77
20-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Name and shame the unts!

trueblue
20-10-2012, 07:45 PM
unfortunately the person who has consistently raided, cut, damaged my pots is a pro

ubar
20-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Trueblue....take him out

TheRealAndy
21-10-2012, 12:39 AM
hi all. a feel good story for the week. i heard of a story at wello pt ramp this week. old mate goes down the ramp to collect his pots and boat coming in with 2 on board had a collection of familiar looking pots. so old mate asks: "is your name dave?". bloke answers yes. then: "and you live at this address?". uh yeah. "well thats f*&^%n strange cause my name's dave and i live at that address and i've never seen ya."
old mate then parks in front of blokes car blocking him from getting his boat out and calls the cops. $2000 fine each for the thieves!
picked up my day, hope it does the same for you;D

I am calling bullshit. Theft is not an on the spot fine, the would have to report to a magistrate. Interfering with fishing apparatus is also a trip to court IIRC.

netmaker
21-10-2012, 04:36 AM
only what i was told by the "old boys" at the point - one i know quite well. my error in saying wello tho as apparently it was vicky pt. it may have already been to court before i was told. i cannot personally confirm but have no reason to doubt those who were talking about it.