PDA

View Full Version : Help at the ramp

ozynorts
13-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I remember on one of the many threads here someone saying if some body offers to help at the ramp you say yes and be grateful. The first time we launched a guy offered to help push the boat off. We said yes and were grateful for the help.
I was in the rigging bay the other day and I noticed a guy trying to retrieve his boat. I immediately was interested as the boat was a Yalta 535, the little sister to my boat, and I also noticed that it had one of those infamous Brooker trailers. He was onto his third attempt to retrieve and he was starting to steam as it was dropping off the keel rollers every time and making a mess of his gelcoat. I just had to run down and help out. He was very grateful and his girlfriend was glad as she was standing back waiting for the explosion.
I felt good personally as I knew what he was going through and would hope that if I was in a situation like that a fellow boaty would jump in and help out.
Ozy

tunaticer
13-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Onya Ozy thats the spirit that should be expected.

OODIES
13-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Nice work mate.

BINGO

wayno60
13-10-2012, 08:25 PM
well done mate, thats karma.

stevej
13-10-2012, 09:34 PM
good stuff

had a fella trying to reverse his f250 and massive trailer at my local and was in all sorts of trouble
i dont know why as it was as long as a semi

after the 10th go i went over and offered and backed it down first go as he loaded up this huge sailfish
benefit was his missus in a bikini sitting in the passenger seat :)

Donkeyzmilk
13-10-2012, 09:51 PM
i had some trouble on my first launch only a few weeks back with my yalta odessa , high wind and the boat was drifting , the missus couldn't hold it , a kind boaty came to help me, i was so glad for the help and we got it on the trailer , the poor bloke took one step off the ramp and went straight under water , he had his phone on him , "top pocket" not sure if it died , i offered him some coin , he wanted no part of it ..

he said " looked like you needed some help , il get another phone "

he then got in his car with his pregnant wife and drove off " i think he should have been wearing a cape"

barra71
13-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Good on ya OZ. good to people still like to help other people, just a shame there isnt more of it in the world...

Back In Black
14-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Surprising how many people decline the offer of assistance.
Stevej- did you hang around the ramp waiting for his return. Missus in the bikini could have made it worth the wait!!
Tony

LittleSkipper
14-10-2012, 08:52 AM
If only peoples attitude was the same on our roads when it comes to a fellow boatie in need of assistance?

johncar
14-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Yes it seems a lot better to help out at the ramp while waiting your turn then to sit there and getting impatient. The boat ramp can be a pleasant experience or the opposite just depending on ones attitude.

Mrs Ronnie H
14-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Hi
We have helped out a few times at our local ramp and seen some funny things at times. The funniest was a bloke and his yaght-- trying to motor it on to the trailer. Windy, tide going out and this fella had no idea. We went down to help out but it was almost impossible as he just didn't have a clue. After about half an hour we just gave up and left him and his mate to it.. Just happened to be out in the yard and saw them going down the road about 2 hours later so they must of eventually got it.

Costs nothing to help and would like to think that if we needed it someone would offer.

Mrs H

moater
14-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Too many mongrels like to sit back and make mirth over someone having troubles.Good to see that not everyone is a slack-jawed onlooker.

FordGT
15-10-2012, 10:43 AM
On saying that though you get the odd guy who doesn't want a bar of it.

Guy bringing aluminium boat in at Victoria point North Ramp on a windy day and I was going to try and help stop it before he dinged it on the post. Didn't want a bar of it and took a chunk out of the front on the metal pontoon bracket...