PDA

View Full Version : new motor options for 7.5 metre fiberglass boat

justlovefishing
10-10-2012, 06:04 PM
At the risk of getting bagged I want to ask for real experiences from people who actually own a new etec, optimax or yammi 2 stroke engine. I have got my boat being completly restored. Hopefully the fiberglasser will get started in the next few weeks. As soon as he is done the boat he is working on mine is next. We are putting on a full width planing pod which will take the boat from 6.5 to a 7.5 mt boat . It will be getting new stringers a hard top , built in live bait tank and other little goodies as we go along. At present the power plant is a 150hp black max. This motor has never let me down . I was not going to put a new motor on but the wife has told me I must put a new motor on if I am spending all that money on the rest of the boat.( go figure I am still in shock but I will obey her before she changes her mind). I am sticking with a 2 stroke and will be fitting a 200 hp. What I want to hear is real stories about these motors from people who own them. Hopefully I will be able to get the right motor and enjoy many hours of trouble free boating.

rocklobster
10-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Any reason for the two stroke ? Not that i dont think it may be a good idea as the two stroke has been around for ever and are probably cheaper to maintain and service . Fuel burn may be the only concern .

wrxhoon
10-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I have a 200 opti on my Trophy, she is over 4 years old , never let me down , as good on fuel as any 4 banger, the only down is more noise than 4 bangers at low rpm.
I got a new 250 opti on my Grady white as well.

Do some research on the net in USA and you will find plenty about all engines.

justlovefishing
10-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Any reason for the two stroke ? Not that i dont think it may be a good idea as the two stroke has been around for ever and are probably cheaper to maintain and service . Fuel burn may be the only concern .

2 stroke engines generally have better performance than a 4 stroke and are also lighter. The fuel burn on new modern 2 strokes is almost as good as a four stroke

eugah
11-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Had a 90 Opti on my last boat with 540 hrs on it when I sold it, Great motor never really had any issues with it. Now have a 250 Opti on my current boat with only 80hrs so far. Not sure what boat you are putting it on but I have a XXL shaft which allows the motro to sit up higher & out of the water when going slow. This may be something you want to consider. I will buy another Opti any day

wags on the water
12-10-2012, 01:17 AM
2006 model 200 Opti on a 625 Cruisecraft done a little over 400hrs - about 1.3km/l at about 3/4 throttle over 4 days fishing close to 500kms on water.

justlovefishing
12-10-2012, 05:14 AM
It is going onto a savage marlin. The xxl leg is that a 30 inch was looking at a 25inch at the moment

Vitamin Sea
12-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Had a 200 Opti on a Haines 19C, did 360 hours in 4 years. Consistently achieved 1.5 km/l running at 3800-4400 rpm's. Went like a cut snake but it was noisy, no question.

Oil usage was around 40-50/1 @ $12.00/L a year or so ago, not sure of how much it is now.

Never let me down, as any new motor should'nt.

I would go a 225-250hp on that hull.

Great motors.

Cheers

VS

juggernaut
12-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Not sure if you have seen this thread from 2010...but anyway

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?160238-Optimax-amp-E-Tec-Outboards

fin101
12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I have had a 75 and a 90 opti and they were just great, but in saying that if I was powering a glass boat of that size I would be looking at a yammy 250 4.2ltr 4 stroke, beast of a motor, heaps lighter than it's predecessor and good on fuel. I have the 225 and could not be happier, a mate has a 300 0n his boat and it goes like stink with a ton of grunt, nice and quite they are too, when you get them up and boogie they have an awesome growl to them. Good torque all through the rev range. If a 2stroke was the only option the opti would get my vote hands down, they are a great and proven motor.

justlovefishing
13-10-2012, 06:16 AM
looks like the opti is out in front. The local dealer here is offering a fair price but the local etec dealer got back to me yesterday with a price fitted that is a few thousand cheaper than the yammie and the opti. It is hard to find many good reports on the etec though. Will keep on to the others and see how much they will move. Does any one know how much the old mercury black max weighed as I am worried about weight but like the idea of a 225 or 250hp as sugested above. Just not sure how the hull would handle this. Time for more research.

Camhawk88
13-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Mate if you have a 1mlong, full width pod and assuming it is full depth (ie in line with the bottom of the hull) Then you have a heap more floatation and I cant see any reason you would have weight issues with a 200 or bigger motor.

Yammies are great motors but I dont think they offer anything to rival the fuel consumption of Optis and Etecs in a 2 stroke. Given a choice between those 2 motors I agree with the rest- Opti for reliability.

justlovefishing
13-10-2012, 07:52 AM
That is the plan. the pod will be a 1 metre full width in line with the hull. Just looking at the weights of the larger motors on line and there is only 4 kilos difference between the 200 and 250 opti. The four stroke verado is a fair bit heaver at 288kg compaired to 225 for the opti. I am going back to the boat builder for advice on the larger engine and also going to get prices on the bigger motor. Need to have the motor choice nailed down before we start the upgrades to the hull in the next few weeks( also before the wife changes her mind.)

justlovefishing
13-10-2012, 03:15 PM
spent the morning talking to the dealers about engines. Both merc and envirude said the 225 is a perfect size for the boat. However if I was to pick a motor based on how I feel about the dealership and the support after the sale then the etec wins hands down. Also has offered a much better deal fitted to the boat quite a bit cheaper with a few extras thrown in. Now I am torn as I have always liked mercury outboards. If anyone has the 225 etec could you please tell me what problems you have had if any and your thoughts on the etec.

ovakil
13-10-2012, 05:16 PM
One thing I would look at what is max current h/p for your boat.As you may have to get it checked by insurance company if you go bigger h/p.
I know you can get it certified to take larger motor,just can't remember procedure.
Cheers Steve.

rocklobster
13-10-2012, 09:43 PM
I have a friend with twin 225 etecs and he says the oil consumption is expensive . I have a 4.2 liter F250 and am impressed like any new owner . It is on a 6.5 meter vessel and i find it hard to believe you are told that a 225 will be adequate on a boat of 7.5 meters . Might be good with no passengers and half a load of fuel ice or fish in a flat sea but if i were you i would be looking at either a new 300 zuk or f 300 at a minimum. With an F250 you will use around 40 liters an hour at 25knots as a rough guideline speaking from experience . Nothing against the optis however the oil consumption will be an issue with any two stroke . Resale with a two stroke will be poor no matter what the salesmen tell you . Take some time out and think about this purchase before you race in . Two stoke salesmen will tell you that fourstrokes are dearer to service . Do it yourself . Will cost at an oil change with filter around $100 on a 250 and are simple to do .

Darren Mc
13-10-2012, 10:45 PM
G'day,
After being let down once with an open circuit on a fuel injector and a second time with a buggered EMM which resulted in me having to get towed home by coast guard, i will never have anything to do with an Etec again. My motor which was an '08 150 etec had 115 hrs on it when the EMM failed and only about 80 hrs when the injector went. Do yourself a favour and go on to the etec owner's website and have a read of all the problems that people all over the world are having with them and then decide if you want to go there.

Cheers and best of luck with what ever you decide.

Darren Mc
13-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Oh yeah and i would recommend the new big block v6 225 or 250 as they are lighter than the old 4 stroke yammies and i have only heard positive reports about them. Excellent motors apparently.

Cheers

Spiderpig
14-10-2012, 06:21 PM
If you are looking at an etec from the dealer in Yeppoon, I would be careful. Do your research and make sure that he is telling you the whole truth, he wasn't completely honest with me a couple of years ago; nor was he cheap when compared to other dealers.

eugah
15-10-2012, 01:58 AM
It is going onto a savage marlin. The xxl leg is that a 30 inch was looking at a 25inch at the moment

Yes my 250 is the 30inch leg on a Haines formula 233 which also has a pod the same as you are getting. If you decide to go the Opti make sure you get smart craft gauges

buck66
15-10-2012, 12:19 PM
I have a 200 opti with 199hrs on a 5.5m boat and love it. Yes it is a bit louder than your average fourstroke, I happen to like the sound, but the fuel economy is pretty good and at around 225kg is not that heavy. I believe mercury has some deals going at the moment and the 225 and 250 are 3 star emissions rated, the 200 is 2 star.

Cheers Buck