PDA

View Full Version : New boat project

bay cruiser
08-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Anyone ever seen or heard of a "Neptune" built by Ocean Cylinder? I picked this little gem up as a project to repower. Interesting 4mm plate alloy hull, 21 deg. deadrise with flooding keel and reverse chines with buoyancy chambers, and a fiberglass top with walk-through windscreen. Designed by Scott Robson from New Zealand. The fun begins.... Hopefully the photos will upload.

Schulzy
08-10-2012, 06:53 PM
looks alright mate what are your plans

shy guys
08-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Mate I used to own a oc befor it was written off on the highway never seen one like the one you have acquired but they are the goods mate you will be more than happy with it awesome ride

Squidlet
08-10-2012, 09:17 PM
If they ride like an Ocean Marster,wich is another cylinder style boat,then you will be more than happy with your purchase.I reckn it will be a great bloody boat.
Cheers Chris.

Smithy
09-10-2012, 05:22 AM
The Kiwis sure can build a good boat as you already know with your Mclay. Looks good if that is the style of boat you were after.

bay cruiser
09-10-2012, 06:27 AM
After selling my Mclay (partly to fund a camper trailer) I had a budget of $15k for a new boat. I will meet the budget if I can find a four stroke or fuel injected 2 stroke for under $6500. However, I don't mind if I pay a bit more for a good motor. Looking for 115 hp. A Suzuki 140 would be nice if I can find one. I may even get something for the '94 90hp evinrude that's on it - it seems to run really well and pumps plenty of water but has a constant warning horn when you turn the ignition on.

Yes, I do like the NZ style boats. I emailed Scott Robson who designed it. He said it was a good off-shore boat, soft riding and stable. Quirky looking thing! A real gentleman's boat. I'll need to wear a captain's cap and cravat when I use it.

bay cruiser
02-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Repowered with DF140! A few minor issues with the scuppers which I have sealed up (not sure if this is the right thing to do?)

Maiden voyage statistics follow:

Full tank of fuel – 90 litres
Total distance travelled – 36.0 nm /66.7 klm
Total fuel used – 25.8 litres
Fuel economy – 1.4 nm/lt or 2.6 klm/lt ….unbelievable! J
Max speed 38 kn @ 6200 RPM – could probably go to a 23” prop but I’m happy with the 21” it has on it. It starts to chine walk over 33+ knots which feels great if not a bit scary J.
Cruise 28 kn @ 4600 RPM – motor sounds great.
Speed and distance figures from a Lowrance HDS-5 combo

SunnyCoastMark
02-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Love the fold up bait board.......

Chimo
02-11-2012, 06:29 PM
The OMC 90HP is a great motor, nice v4 in the same mold as the 115 HP V4. Loved my 90 and still more than happy with my 115 HPs. They might use a little more fuel but they laugh at the crap fuel we are fed these days. How does the weight of the 140 compare with the 160 ish of the OMC?

Boat looks great by the way!

Cheers
Chimo

PS Whats the boat HP rating? (

Edit Read the plate )150HP Optimum! Why didn't you go a 175?:P

uripper
02-11-2012, 09:09 PM
where did you find the DF140 ? age /condition ? and for how much?
those maiden voyage stats are awesome - its a rocket that runs on vapor !!
great effort - enjoy
MalM

bay cruiser
03-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Keith Falkenhagen from Jeffers MotorSport Marine at Burpengary is a Suzuki dealer and originally sold this motor to one of his clients who wanted to upgrade to the new DF140a with lean burn. I paid $8500 fitted and serviced. It's an '07 model with 560 hrs in very good nick and had been regularly serviced by Keith since new. I was very impressed with Keith and his team. I suspect there will be more on the market soon as others will no doubt want to upgrade also.

Regarding the fuel economy, it just goes to show that having more horse power does not necessarily mean less fuel economy.

Chimo, the old motor was about 136 kg and the DF140 about 192 kg. I never had the old motor in the water so cannot give any comparisons. All I can say is that it goes like a rocket!

Chamelion
03-11-2012, 11:50 AM
I know nothing of the boat, but I really really like it.

Shark Poker
11-11-2012, 08:09 AM
I remember that boat being built.
It was made for an associate of the owner of OC, and
their idea was to produce a really high quality product.
But OC/Deep Vee closed down/went broke only about a year later.

bay cruiser
11-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks for that FatBuoy. I guessed it was a "one off". You get the idea of the market they were aiming for when its all fitted out with a "café Latte" colour scheme. I've since stripped it free of all the lining as it was decomposing. Horrible job as I had to use petrol to dissolve all the contact adhesive.

In terms of its performance compared with previous boats I've owned, it's about the same ride as my Mclay 586. However, my 530 HH Breeze would still be considered the best riding boat I've been in. The Neptune takes the prize for stability, walk to the side of the boat and it stays flat.

Smithy
11-11-2012, 12:07 PM
For scuppers you can always put bungs from the inside out. When you know you are going through a bar or something or on the trailer when cleaning it out you undo them and if you are sea you screw them back in. Bit like Yamaha UBs but they were on the sides on them.