PDA

View Full Version : Brand New bluefin Wildcat - Timber Floor Swelling when Wet

Monkey
08-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi,
I just brought a brand new Bluefin Wildcat and the first trip away it rained and the timber floor got wet. The next day the hatches were almost impossible to open and I had to stand on the ends of the rod locker lid to squeeze it shut. When it dried out the timber fitted once again. I can't see this floor lasting very long on a boat that's going to spend three months a year on the impoundments.

I'm starting to doubt that the floor is made of marine grade ply.
I'm looking for an expert in the Brisbane area I can take the boat to, who can examine the floor to verify the type of timber used.

If you know anyone please let me know.

Regards, Monkey

Noelm
08-10-2012, 01:05 PM
it will be construction ply, unlikely to be marine ply, which is sort of the same as construction ply, but has a nice veneer on it to look pretty, any timber will swell when it gets wet, even marine ply, if you are really concerned, call the dealer and see how they will handle your worry.

SunnyCoastMark
08-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Hey Monkey,
As Noel said - all timber will swell when wet or subjected to high humidity to varying degrees - regardless of what it is or how it has been treated.. Problem arises when it hasn't been sealed properly and/or it is cheap ply and the ply laminates start to seperate or it warps/bows. You could have the manufacturer plane a little off the hatches - as long as they re seal the edges.

I did my floor in my centre console 6 years ago with just exterior ply - However, I painted it all in 2 pack - making sure all the edges in particular were well sealed. It is still like new today.

Mark

Jarrah Jack
08-10-2012, 01:57 PM
The ply should be sealed all round for some endurance, it obviously isn't. I would take the boat back to the dealer and tell them you want it totally sealed or its not fit for purpose. Worth a try to see how you go.

Noelm
08-10-2012, 02:07 PM
yep, go down the right path first, do not get all shitty with them, just express your concern and see how it goes.

troy
08-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Bluefin for some reason are well known for this to happen.
Do a search and you will find this out but what i cannot figure is why it is only Bluefin and not others .
Troy

bf90
08-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Bluefin for some reason are well known for this to happen.
Do a search and you will find this out but what i cannot figure is why it is only Bluefin and not others .
Troy

I have owned 2 blue fin boats and both were nothing but a pile of:-X They are made to a price imo. They look the goods but they just dont last the test of time, well mine certainly didnt any way.

Monkey
09-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi Folks,

Still hoping for a contact who can give an expert opinion about whether the floor is suitable for it intended use or not.

I've had boats for 30 years and this is not just a little swelling.
I don't intend to be replacing the floor of a brand new boat in 12 months with out one hell of a fight.
Having had several bad experiences in getting fobbed off by the dealer in relation to other problems with the boat I need to have all the facts at my disposal before I tackle them.

bluefin59
09-10-2012, 09:43 AM
I have had my bluefin for 8 yrs and had to replace the floor a couple of years ago and I was surprised at how crappy the ply was in it😖, it looked like packing crate ply. Who was the dealer , if your not getting any joy from them I would call bluefin direct as they should help you I would think but having said that they do have a disclaimer relating to the floors on their web site. They are built to a price I guess but the floor is the only problem I have had in the time I have had it ...Matt

Noelm
09-10-2012, 10:12 AM
I guess to be fair, the floor would be "suitable for intended use" they could argue that all timber will swell when wet (it does) but how you approach this will reflect how you are treated, no one is saying you don't have a legitimate argument, or your boat is OK, but you need to be reasonable when you want help, if after what you consider to be more than a reasonable request you are still being shoved aside, then it is time to be "firm" but still not yet shitty! get the picture, I kind of doubt you will get anyone to say 100% for sure that the floor is not fit for use (in my opinion)

SunnyCoastMark
09-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Do Bluefin state anywhere that they only use marine ply in their floors? - If they don't - then you may not have a case. In which case it doesn't matter if an "expert" examines the floor or not.

Granted - the floor should be sealed, so that it has a reasonable lifespan - but therein lies the question? What is a reasonable lifespan? Should certainly at least be the warranty period of the boat.

Can you see if the edges around the hatches have been sealed or treated?

Mark

Monkey
09-10-2012, 02:05 PM
No I can't see the timber, its covered by the carpet and at this stage I don't want to tamper with it myself. But it can't be much of a seal as it sucks water like a sponge.
I have two trips away with the boat and I can see even now that I will eventually rip the rod locker hinges off trying to open and close it when its damp.

AnthonyL
09-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi,
I just brought a brand new Bluefin Wildcat and the first trip away it rained and the timber floor got wet. The next day the hatches were almost impossible to open and I had to stand on the ends of the rod locker lid to squeeze it shut. When it dried out the timber fitted once again. I can't see this floor lasting very long on a boat that's going to spend three months a year on the impoundments.

I'm starting to doubt that the floor is made of marine grade ply.
I'm looking for an expert in the Brisbane area I can take the boat to, who can examine the floor to verify the type of timber used.

If you know anyone please let me know.

Regards, Monkey

I have a bluefin bowrider and had to replace the floor a couple of years in and it was NOT marine ply.

wayno60
09-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Ok, when i was redoing the floor in my bluefin i went to the factory and spent about an hour there picking their brains on everything boating.

So to the floor, the timber is a hardwood ply, and not sealed, top or bottom. seem the manufactures recomend that it doesnt get sealed so it will let the moisture dry out. if it was sealed top and bottom and water worked its way in via the screw holes it would have no way of ever drying out..also important to leave any of the floor flaps open to help with the evaporation.

cheers

cgibbo308
09-10-2012, 07:03 PM
from what i have been told and read. Any screw holes should be filled and treated then the screws re inserted.

Schulzy
09-10-2012, 07:30 PM
i would say it is un sealed and not marine ply talk to the dealer first and see what they say if they dont say much or say too bad swallow it and rip it all out and remake it. or if its not too baddly damaged dry it right out and paint out in the sun let it dry between coats you will probably need three good thick coats. ps i have heard stories of the timber rubbing on the hull it will wear a hole in your boat so you might want to plane the edges if it hits anywhere

bigjimg
09-10-2012, 09:45 PM
So much reliance on the term Marine Ply.Marine Ply has veneers that have a known and consistant stress grade.Australian marine plywood has a stress grade given of F14 and a Type A bond glue.It is no different in terms of moisture absorbing qualities than structural ply,which has the exact same type glue bond.Most structural plywoods are F11,F14,F17 and carry CD veneers on the face and back respectfully.Whether or not Structural Ply or Marine Grade Ply, either in hardwood or softwood species was used,it won't matter,both will swell if not sealed.And both will rot,one no faster than the other.
The only way to do it properly is to give 3-4 flood coats of epoxy preservative over the entire surface and edges,including screw holes.Then coat in 2pac polyurathane and apply spray contact to floor and carpet and fit.
It will only be as good as the person doing the job and dollars spent.
I did the floor in my Bluefin and it was good as new the day I sold it 4yrs later. I never let it sit out in the rain as fresh will kill any floor if given the chance.
Hope you get your problems addressed.Jim.

Monkey
10-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks, everyone for your input.
I've learnt a fair bit about boat floors just from reading your replies.
The ball is in the dealers court.
They have the boat and the problem is well documented.
As are several other problems/faults that have plagued my new boat since purchasing it three months ago.
I'll pick my boat up on Friday and if every thing is not fixed I will take the necessary steps to ensure I get what I paid for.

Cheers, Monkey

Salad Fingers
10-10-2012, 07:18 AM
just as an interesting point of comparison my 7 year old sea jay which has spent the last 3 years living completly in the weather with no cover still has the original floor and there is not a single bit of rot..
the ply doesn't look sealed underneath.

perhaps im just lucky.
my previous boat, a stacer nomad, i didnt treat any differently at all and the floor was rotten within 12months of owning it from brand new... so i'd love to know what the difference was with the ply or how it was installed..