PDA

View Full Version : Not Firing!!!

dadstinny
06-10-2012, 05:03 PM
I must be cursed by the suzuki gods for riding them off last year ;D

Got my DT 60 84 / 85 model out of winter mode and went to start her up.

I first put a brand new battery and battery leads in it as these where cactus litterally.

Got her turning over like a champ but she does not fire at all.

I have checked -

1) Spark have plenty but changed plugs anyhow
2) Fuel have plenty
3) Compression good
4) She turns over constantly but just does not fire

I don't have a lanyard on it either that cuts out power it has never had one.

What did I miss maybe the timing is out?

Would the timing being out cause it not to fire at all?

Any ideas?

Also to the suzuki gods I am sorry I bagged you out last year I promise never to do it again just let my motor start so I can go fishing please!

finga
06-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Check all the wiring for crook connections.
Start with the grey wire

Are you sure there is no deadman switch somewhere?

murf
06-10-2012, 06:20 PM
mud wasp nests in the exhaust? just thought I would say :) bloody wasps stop everything around here

cheers Murf

ericcs
06-10-2012, 06:23 PM
if you have spark, that cancels out a deadman switch, so must be a fuel issue. if you can, try and squirt some fuel into each carbie with the butterflies open, then give it a hit. if it fires, check if the the fuel is pumping up from the tank. if you haven't touched the timing, it should be ok.

Owen
06-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Did you replace the fuel?
If its been sitting a while it could be off.

dadstinny
06-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Check all the wiring for crook connections.
Start with the grey wire

Are you sure there is no deadman switch somewhere?

Deja vu finga?

Grey wire?

Nope no dead mans switch never had one...

Could be a stupid question but if you have spark wouldn't this indicate everything electrical is working i.e all circuits are allowing and providing the spark plugs to fire?

Could have it wrong obviously.

mud wasp nests in the exhaust? just thought I would say :) bloody wasps stop everything around here

cheers Murf

Funny you shouldmention wasps there was a nest in the cabin that I had to mortein when I got in the boat today ;D

It stopped from SWMBO from agreeing to turn the key whilst I tinker!! ;)

dadstinny
06-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Did you replace the fuel?
If its been sitting a while it could be off.

Yep just filled the tank up fresh :)!!!

Its the suzuki gods I tell you. ;D

if you have spark, that cancels out a deadman switch, so must be a fuel issue. if you can, try and squirt some fuel into each carbie with the butterflies open, then give it a hit. if it fires, check if the the fuel is pumping up from the tank. if you haven't touched the timing, it should be ok.

Cheers, Ill rig something up with a bit of tube tonight with a bottle to get some fuel in there as its protected with a cover.

finga
06-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Could be a stupid question but if you have spark wouldn't this indicate everything electrical is working i.e all circuits are allowing and providing the spark plugs to fire?
Oops. Didn't read the I've have spark bit.
Sorry.

Ah, it's buggered. Get a new one.
Have you tried a bit of "start ya bastard"?? That'll see if it's fuel related or not.

dadstinny
06-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Sorry.

Have you tried a bit of "start ya bastard"?? That'll see if it's fuel related or not.

Yer i might get a can of that instead or rigging up a fuel bottle and line might save me some time.

Hopefully the cans have a stick on them like WD40 so I can bend it around into the carby without having to take the front cover of the carby.

New one? Can't afford one :(......

And like last time once I get it going she is usuallly good :) (Note suzuki gods I am paying homage to the suzuki and not bagging it out)

murf
06-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Sorry.

ahh the old start ya bastard, works a rattly treat on a cold tractor running on Biodiesel in winter ;)

so if it has spark and it has fuel (after the start ya bastard test) then mud wasps in exhaust comes to mind again :)

yep yep funny how SWMBO has no adventure

cheers Murf

lucee81
06-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Really simple thought but I had this problem with my yammie last time I took it out all I did was push the key and it fires straight up.
Also with a merc a mate has.

dadstinny
06-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Really simple thought but I had this problem with my yammie last time I took it out all I did was push the key and it fires straight up.
Also with a merc a mate has.

Yep tried that one to :)

Push in the key gives me choke!

Tried with and without for an excessive amount of time.....

tunaticer
06-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Dunno if i'm being cheeky or not but do your plugs get oiled up or wet with fuel quickly?
Having fresh fuel in the tank and carbies does not mean the reeds are not gummed shut and not letting the fuel through.

dadstinny
06-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Yep the fresh plugs where wet...

I pulled them out and checked for spark and they where definitely wet when I pulled them out.

They where dry as a whistlye when I put them in as they where new.

Spaniard_King
06-10-2012, 08:10 PM
If ya got spark and wet plugs you gotta be lacking compression, simple formula for combustion you seem to have most of it

dadstinny
06-10-2012, 08:17 PM
If ya got spark and wet plugs you gotta be lacking compression, simple formula for combustion you seem to have most of it

Thanks Spaniard, that was my thoughts to but I did a compression test and unless my gauge is busted it read about 112 on the top cylinder and 120 on the bottom cylinder.

Its got plenty of cranking power just no bang :'(

Spaniard_King
06-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Thgat only leaves spark timing unless you have missed an important part:)

WalrusLike
06-10-2012, 10:48 PM
I am unlikely to be correct.... But have you got enough grunt in your battery?

My Yammie wouldn't start when I first got it.... It kicked over repeatedly, and for ages, so i thought it was ok but when I jumped her the thing fired immediately. There was enough to kick over and sound like it was ok, but not enough to actually start.

Try a jump start?

SunnyCoastMark
06-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Blocked Fuel filter? - pull the hose off the outward side and pump the primer bulb - see what happens.......

SunnyCoastMark
06-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Although.....re reading your posts - if your plugs are wet - there must be fuel getting through.

Not making sense here - If you have spark and you have fuel - it has to go.....

Try cranking her dry for a few busrts of 10 - 15 secs(no choke, no throttle) then push the key in and try again.

Are you sure there is no kill switch that you just haven't noticed before?

Mark

dadstinny
07-10-2012, 06:32 AM
Hmmmm

Plugs are wet but I am suspecting fuel....

I am going to check over the fuel system and report back :)....

finga
07-10-2012, 07:30 AM
I know what the missing bit is. The Honda badge.

dadstinny
07-10-2012, 08:52 AM
I know what the missing bit is. The Honda badge.

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So this is what I did -

1) Removed the wasps nest so SWMBO could turn the key

2) Put a honda badge on

3) Prayed to the suzuki and honda gods last night before bed time

4) Blew the fuel lines out and emptied the fuel filter bowl thingy and tried a different tank

5) Got SWMBO to turn the key

6) Wammo ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think there was anything in the fuel lines but it might have had some bad fuel from the servo as the second tank was a different servo.

Or it could have been that the boat likes SWMBO better than I which would not be surprising. :P

Cheers everyone for the help!!!

Spaniard_King
07-10-2012, 09:16 AM
So the Honda bage did the trick :)

dadstinny
07-10-2012, 04:23 PM
So the Honda bage did the trick :)

Yep I carry three now in the tool box :)!

If only I new the secret before hand it would have saved me alot of pain / grief...