PDA

View Full Version : Importing Yet Again! :)

mustang5
04-10-2012, 09:28 AM
::)

Gday,

So the Proline sold a few weeks ago which was a sad day, and i bet the new owners are loving the good weather over the last few weeks.

Anyways, I have been saving quite a bit of money and thankfully had a bit left over after house deposit and in the savings, so I decided to go at the importing again given the good Aus $, and also the fact I will never buy an Australian boat again..

So, this time I am going for a VERY clean 2601 seaswirl Striper, with yammy 4 stroke 225.

Plan is to kit it with a brand spanking new Suzuki 300HP as the 225 I believe is too under powered for this boat.

The reason I chose this specific boat, even though it does not have the ideal power I was after, was merely because of the way the hull has been looked after being under full covers between trips, and also the added goodies that come with, including but not limited to : Twin E80 Raymarine GPS/Sounder, 4G Radar, Autopilot, Added Rod Holders, 2 sets of full clears/Canvas, Inverter, Solar Panels, custom 4 battery setup.... The list goes on.

So I have engaged Portsea Marine working with Carol who is very helpful, and it just seems far too easy this time.

Boats paid for and hopefully should be sitting on deck within a week to arrive within 30 days sailing time :o:o:o;D;D;D;D;D

Any Striper owners here?

myusernam
04-10-2012, 09:34 AM
can I ask how much? MIght look into something like that myself

mustang5
04-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Depends on what you are after mate. There are i/o models for the 2601 stripers for $25k US, then there are twin outboard setups for 50-60k US. then add 15k shipping, then GST on top of the lot.

yachtworld.com or boattrader.com is the place to go mate.

fisho8
04-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Good to see Mustang the stripers are one nice rig. I will have to look into this I think in the future me thinks. Well done mate.:)

Noelm
04-10-2012, 11:02 AM
wonder how many you can do before they class you as a dealer or need to declare some sort of income?

mustang5
04-10-2012, 11:12 AM
wonder how many you can do before they class you as a dealer or need to declare some sort of income?

It is a good question.. And I have thought about it. But couldnt the same be asked if I was to buy a number of different local boats at a steal in a short period of time, and sell them with a bit of profit?? I will have to look into it for sure.

I plan on keeping this one. I only sold the proline as I desperately needed funds for a house deposit to satisfy contract requirements.

Smithy
04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
My experience with a brand new 2012 model 2301 Alaska Pack is they are a very deep Ved hull like old school HHs etc. so therefore needs heaps of power and fall off the plane easy at like 4,000rpm. The one I went on had a new 4.2l 250 Yammie. That is just enough. You will love a 300 on it. I reckon my mate needs to play with a foil first and maybe engine wedges to let it plane down to say 3,500/3,600 sort of thing and a bit slower, that is with the trim tabs. Maybe bigger tabs would be better too. At 4,000 it is up and racing at about 20knots and just too fast for some conditions then go slower and it bogs in. To look at it the transom angle doesn't seem to have enough angle on it to let it tuck in. It is very good at rest for how deep Ved it is but the extra beam must help. Well built and setup boats. He has the windscreen demister, wipers, etc. He has since gone to town with a Stree Free winch, TV/DVD inside for the kids, Engel fridge, microwave to come, etc. He went this way as it cheaper than a 685CC etc. and he has an alloy trailer and through the NSW Striper dealer he has full Aus warranty on the hull and motor. He was still in front of an Aus boat so lashed out on cork cockpit, outriggers, bait station, cutting board etc. all through Captain Rednut on here.

mustang5
04-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah in reading all the reviews on powering a 2601, a Yam 225 (Which has about an output HP of 208.) is never going to be enough, but will get me by whilst waiting for the 300. I think the performance figures are 33knts WOT & cruise at 22knts using 7gph. Those are figures in milk pond conditions though..

I was looking for a twin setup with twin 150hp Yamaha or the twin 140 johnson/suzuki for that extra stern lift and extra HP but I couldnt wait any longer and got this for a steal.

Is your mate glad he went the striper over the CC?

upstart
04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey Mustang, is there a reason why you couldn't have the 300 fitted over there and then have the 225 shipped with the boat to sell here to recoup some of the costs?

mustang5
04-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Hey Mustang, is there a reason why you couldn't have the 300 fitted over there and then have the 225 shipped with the boat to sell here to recoup some of the costs?

Yep I have three reasons:

1. Although I can have a 300hp Suzuki fitted over there for $19k, I wont have warranty (Unless something has drastically changed in the recent past that I dont know of??).
2. I dont have the money as of yet as I am a little shy after the costs associated with house purchase and importing this boat.
3. I have a 6.5m CC project boat which I plan to fit the 225 Yam on to and then sell to cover full cost of outboard purchase.

Thats the plan for now anyways lol.

Smithy
04-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Yep Mustang 5. For the bang for your buck, the size of the built in eskies, he wanted an Alaska Pack after being sick of getting wet with clears and coming out in my Stabi and falling in love with hard top, etc. I don't think he can crack 40knots but it is certainly high 30s and cruises well at 26-27knots if conditions allow it.

Muddy Toes
04-10-2012, 02:29 PM

One a year I believe.

mustang5
04-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Yep Mustang 5. For the bang for your buck, the size of the built in eskies, he wanted an Alaska Pack after being sick of getting wet with clears and coming out in my Stabi and falling in love with hard top, etc. I don't think he can crack 40knots but it is certainly high 30s and cruises well at 26-27knots if conditions allow it.

I contemplated the Alaska setup, and if this same boat had the Alaska setup I would have been all over it. I suppose I have never owned a boat with Clears so lets just take it 1 step at a time haha.

Thats some great figures for that setup. The proline I had just cracked 41knts Top... But it took twin 200hp Opti's to do that.. And in my experience, a 200 opti outshines a 225 Yammy 4 stroke any day.

Triple
04-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Nice rig :thumbup:
When you want to sell it, I got first dibs ;)

Boat Hog
04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Like Smithy said, they like the power. Need to be propped right or they will fall off the plane at much lower RPM and speeds than other boats, especially if you're trying to go slow through choppy slop/confused seas. I've got the 2101 with a 225 Verado - love it! The more weight (full tank, ice etc) the better the ride too. ;D

Enjoy.

Cheers,

PROS
04-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Great looking boat, I love Stripers.
In the process of importing 2301 myself.

Whats the situation with the trailer?

mustang5
05-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Trailer is 2.48m wide, and has brakes on all axles with breakaway. It has the 2 5/16" coupling, which I actually like. So it depends if I get that past RW I will keep it, otherwise its to a 70mm or equiv coupling which is no biggy. Until the lights are changed I will just use my extended light board.

Cheers

davecc
05-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Very nice looking boat, I have been looking at the 2301 and the polar 2300 aswell, I was hoping that there were a few people on here that have a striper or polar that could give me some feed back as to the ride and quality of the boat, Bang for buck you cant go past an inport boat
Cheer Dave

scrotty
05-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Hey all, I have a 2301 WA Alaskan and i love it. It has a Yamaha 225 which is fine. I purchased it in Australia from the guy that bought it new from the Aussie dealer. I purchased a new alloy trailer from Peterson trailers who were great to deal with and it is an awsome trailer. I could not get a hardtop Aussie boat anywhere near the value of the Striper. If you want to know anything about Stripers check out the Striper Owners Club Forum. Cheers

TroyVIS
05-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Geez that is a seriously nice boat! Very impressed. Congrats.

Smithy
05-10-2012, 09:47 PM
The one I have been on is exactly the same as Scrottys. Black hull Alaska Pack.

LittleSkipper
06-10-2012, 10:50 AM
You guys have way too much money to spend? ;D

Captain Seaweed
06-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Looks great, I am in the midst of looking for a boat and have been looking at the Glacier Bays. what are you planning to towing with?

Cheers
Marty

mustang5
06-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Looks great, I am in the midst of looking for a boat and have been looking at the Glacier Bays. what are you planning to towing with?

Cheers
Marty

Im planning on towing it with a land cruiser Turbo V8. Weight is just under 3.45t loaded.

Shawn 66
06-10-2012, 03:38 PM
You guys have way too much money to spend? ;D
They say that "jealousy is a curse ".
Shawn

Muddy Toes
06-10-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm cursed.

Spiderpig
07-10-2012, 11:53 AM
What year is it Mustang?

Does anyone know if they have timber in them? or what year they stopped using timber if they did?

Boat Hog
09-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Mustang, when you do the repower check the transom area for lead weights. Was talking to Steve from Solas props yesterday and he's had a few clients discover the addition of weight to the transom of imported Stripers etc. You won't need any extra weight with the 300! ;D

mustang5
09-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks mate :)

And Choc, its a 2004 model :)

Cheers

boatboy50
09-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Mustang, when you do the repower check the transom area for lead weights. Was talking to Steve from Solas props yesterday and he's had a few clients discover the addition of weight to the transom of imported Stripers etc. You won't need any extra weight with the 300! ;D

Before you go removing that weight, think about why it's there.

The Stripers are designed to accomodate twin outboards as well as singles. When they are made to suit a single, weight is added in the keel to allow the boat to float on it's marks. Without this, it will wollow around a lot more and generally not drift or handle as well at rest.

I saw Mustang rabbiting on about how good the build quality of USA boats are compared to Oz boats. Are you aware of all the rot issues surrounding the composites used in the deck of Seaswirl boats? I've seen it on numerous boats which have landed here in Australia. I have also seen a rotten transom in a boat which landed here in oz. All of this is on post 2000 model boats.

I'm not against USA Boats, but just thought a balanced argument should be sought. I've owned a couple of Seaswirl boats (luckily with no issues), so I certainly know what i'm talking about.

I'm also in the industry here and have been for some time, and when I think back of boats i've seen with issues over the past ten years (boats built after 2000), USA boats clearly top the list of issues, even though it's probably only 25% of the boats I deal with.

I've never seen a 2006 or newer built Oz boat with a rotten floor (I saw a USA one just last week with this issue), rotten transom, rotten deck, failed stringers causing cracked hull, ruptured fuel tank or similar. I have seen numerous USA boats with these issues though.

The USA boats can provide good bang for buck, but remember they are a very high production boat, which generally means a lack of quality.

To say they are better designed or built than Oz boats is simply a blanket statement which wouldn't hold up in court when using evidence. Mustang, have you boated in America before to understand their more "treacherous conditions" as you put it? I've spent a bit of time in the states and ogle each time of how lucky they are with the glassy, non swell conditions they deal with. Everywhere i've been over there, the conditions are nothing compared to ours.

Regards

Darren

mustang5
10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Before you go removing that weight, think about why it's there.

The Stripers are designed to accomodate twin outboards as well as singles. When they are made to suit a single, weight is added in the keel to allow the boat to float on it's marks. Without this, it will wollow around a lot more and generally not drift or handle as well at rest.

I saw Mustang rabbiting on about how good the build quality of USA boats are compared to Oz boats. Are you aware of all the rot issues surrounding the composites used in the deck of Seaswirl boats? I've seen it on numerous boats which have landed here in Australia. I have also seen a rotten transom in a boat which landed here in oz. All of this is on post 2000 model boats.

I'm not against USA Boats, but just thought a balanced argument should be sought. I've owned a couple of Seaswirl boats (luckily with no issues), so I certainly know what i'm talking about.

I'm also in the industry here and have been for some time, and when I think back of boats i've seen with issues over the past ten years (boats built after 2000), USA boats clearly top the list of issues, even though it's probably only 25% of the boats I deal with.

I've never seen a 2006 or newer built Oz boat with a rotten floor (I saw a USA one just last week with this issue), rotten transom, rotten deck, failed stringers causing cracked hull, ruptured fuel tank or similar. I have seen numerous USA boats with these issues though.

The USA boats can provide good bang for buck, but remember they are a very high production boat, which generally means a lack of quality.

To say they are better designed or built than Oz boats is simply a blanket statement which wouldn't hold up in court when using evidence. Mustang, have you boated in America before to understand their more "treacherous conditions" as you put it? I've spent a bit of time in the states and ogle each time of how lucky they are with the glassy, non swell conditions they deal with. Everywhere i've been over there, the conditions are nothing compared to ours.

Regards

Darren

Ive done plenty of boating in Florida, and down the GoM. In the days I was treated to the water there, it was not pleasant. Fun in an open console boat in the middle of summer, but not pleasant. Im not sure its safe to say their conditions are more pleasant given we live in a part of the world where Moreton Bay chop is considered Dangerous.... Let alone returning home in 10-12ft seas from fishing an oil Rig 60miles out in an open Contender or Cape Horn...

Now Im not gonna get into the whole I know more than you argument, because I most probably dont. So all I am going to say is I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable 110kms out in an American Built boat with Thicker Glass, better floatation & Freeboard and better size & layout for the $, than the previous Australian Made boats I was privy to, of equal value (Albeit 2m shorter, 1.5t lighter, and with less than 10% of the options on it).

I am not aware of the Rot issues with regards to Seaswirls, and quite frankly am not bothered given the in depth survey report I have acquired for both US boats purchased has shown nothing but build quality and solidarity. And YES, I am talking about 2 mid-class mass production boats in Proline & Seaswirl.. Not even comparing to the upper class boats of Contender, Grady White etc...

I know there are going to be boats of all makes, and all countries of origin which will have construction issues... Thats a given. Mass production or not, Im happy with my choice and I will not buy an Aussie boat again, as basically I COULD NOT AFFORD ONE that gets me out to my fishing marks safely.

wrxhoon
10-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I have owned four USA built boats in the last few years, all well built , never any problems with any of them, much much much better built than any of the Aussie built boats I ever owned with heaps more standard fittings that Aussie makers call options.
All of them have self drained decks, even when the boat is stationary, all of them are fitted with at least 2 auto bilge pumps, all of them have plumbed live tanks , all of them have built in insulated kill tanks that either drain over or have built in pumps, all of them have raw water pick ups with brass valves , all of them have deck washes , none slip f/g decks ( who wants a carpet in a fishing boat? ) and all of them have huge fuel tanks . Most USA built boats have trim tabs as well.
The last boat was a Trophy 2002 WA , a cheap mass produced boat with all the above and 326 lt tank.
Current boat a Grady White seafarer 228G (22.5') with all the above plus freshwater tank and a massive 472 lt tank.

I can afford a boat built in AU but I can't find one that compares with USA boats regardless of cost. G/W and B/W are not cheap in USA , they are more than double the price of Trophies, Prolines and seaswirls.