PDA

View Full Version : Mooloolaba to Moreton Island?

scrotty
02-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Gday to All, can anybody tell me how long it takes and how far it is from Mooloolaba to the Wrecks at Moreton Island? I want to take the kids over for a bit of snorkeling and an overnighter but not sure how far it is? I would love sum gps marks for wrecks so i can get a distance on the gps if anybody has them? I don't want to fish there its just the sheltered anchorage i am after! Thanks for any help. Cheers

Bull
02-10-2012, 08:17 PM
As the crow flys its about 32 Nautical Mile or 59 kms

Cheers Brett

fisho8
02-10-2012, 09:02 PM
It a little bit of a way down but here are the marks. I take the family over there whenever I can great place to spend the night.:)

Tanga Wreks Waypoint S27°09.649' E153°22.037

Cheers Mick.

EdBerg
02-10-2012, 10:36 PM
If your boat is trailable I would tow it down to Bribie Island and launch from Spinniker Marina.

Cheers

Ed.

lethal098
03-10-2012, 08:42 AM
allowing for dodging the banks outside of bribie i get it at 34NM,

scrotty
03-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Cheers for the reply guys, thats just what i was after. Thanks

Dignity
03-10-2012, 08:09 PM
scotty, run from Bribie, closer and you wont have to bash against those horrible northerlies on the way back which will be inevitable, or so it seems when ever i tried.

mustang5
04-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Sums up Moreton Bay over summer :p

BlacknBlue
04-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Use google earth with the ruler selected in your desired units- great tool for planning any trip

stevemid
05-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Could I just ask, what is the anchorage protection like at the wrecks at Morton Island. I've never been over there. Do you anchor between the wrecks and the beach? What are the depths? Is there a swell in there or is it wind wave? What directions are you protected from other than east?

Thanks guys

Horse
05-10-2012, 06:06 PM
The Wrecks lie to the west of the anchorage but the area is often crowded and quite exposed in anything with much north in it. Great spot though and a dive around the wrecks at the top of the tide is a great experience

mustang5
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Could I just ask, what is the anchorage protection like at the wrecks at Morton Island. I've never been over there. Do you anchor between the wrecks and the beach? What are the depths? Is there a swell in there or is it wind wave? What directions are you protected from other than east?

Thanks guys

Im not sure what size boat you have, or your anchorage requirements, but anywhere south of Bulwer is safe anchorage.. I dont think you will ever get away from the small choppy breezy conditions though. (There is a point that offers a LITTLE bit of protection from Northerlies south of this point).

If you are after milkpond anchorage your best bet is between the wrecks and the beach there is about 40m distance to anchor in, but good luck finding a spot during the holidays.

PADDLES
06-10-2012, 05:53 AM
hey stevemid, avoid any wind with any west in it. it's usually best over there if you know it's going to blow 5-15kn SE for a few days. a little bit of northerly gets in there but it becomes real yukko in west and that includes a good thunderstorm from the SW. if you get caught out whilst staying over there (and many do), just make sure you motor out a little and swing off your front anchor and sit it out as if you're anywhere near the beach there'll be small surf.

stevemid
06-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks Paddles, Horse, Mustang5
I'm usually up in Morton Bay single handed in a 34' sailboat w/ 6' draft headed N or S NSW>Qld cruising. However, I usually anchor down near Peel and up around Scarborough. Trouble is the shallows off Scarborough. May give the wrecks a try but also, next time I may be trailering a motor cat

Steve