PDA

View Full Version : seeking advice on 1999 stessl 550 seahawk tri hull

rtansley
02-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi
i'm new to boating and in the market for a boat for the family. I am currently looking at a 1999 stessl seahawk it is classed as a tri hull but it is based on a single hull with chine mounted sponsons. it has a 90hp honda on it with 600hrs on it and he wants 18k for it.
does anyone know much about these hulls. how well do they ride ect. i have read a reveiw that they are quite good but I would like the opinion of anyone who has owned one or been in one see pics attached
thanks in advance8484884849

oldie
03-10-2012, 02:28 PM
hey mate i know they are stable and apparently ride well but the price is way to high especially with 600hrs on the motor

MyWay
03-10-2012, 02:48 PM
I think I saw that one on ebay before I could be wrong
I heard they ride OK and very stable and something about turning not sure what ....
but ones again I thought this is tri hull stessl

and not bad price for 5,5 and 600 hours not much at all for that Honda
I wish you good luck what ever u do

Smithy
03-10-2012, 03:07 PM
I think it is fair. Mate bought one about 18months ago for $19K second hand with a 90 Honda as well. Towed it to Gladstone where he is doing some work and got $27K for it from a cashed up miner then went an bought a US Trophy with a 150 Opti for $30K so he has made out a bandit the last few months. He rated it as far as a tinny goes and he has had a different boat about every 18months but he was itching to get back into a glass boat after owning a 575 or 625 Cruise Craft previous. I am personally not a fan of those era Hondas. They were the first batch of 4 strokes to hit the market. Interesting trailer. Open channel will be good for a good life if it is well built. Tough call. It is a buyers market at the moment.

Scott Ashe
03-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi mate,
I am sorry that I can't comment on that exact hull or price , however one of my best friends has a stessl '475' Centre console tri hull with 60 Johnno (2 banger) and it handles bay chop quite well.
From memory he paid $12000(private sale 2004). It is a 1997 outfit. He has not used it regularly since he has become a dad. When he has a chance to fish, he prefers to fish from my '425 Allycrafr Reelmate' which has done 80 hrs since june 2009 (4 stroke yammy)
Cheers

rtansley
03-10-2012, 07:54 PM
thanks guys
yeah Smitty the trailer is full allow mode in 07
the floor has been replaced and fully rewired by rifen boats in Rocky service history available
at first I was thinking a bit dear but when I looked a little further gladstone marine has a 98 side console 4.6m for $22500 and anothe side console 4.8 private slae for $27500 and a 5.2m stiker cuddy cab for $18000 with a late model yamaha on it but the rest of the boat looks shabby
they are a hard hull ti find much info on I can find lots on the full tri hulls but not these ones one a review from 1998 but who knows how much they got paid for their comments

rtansley
03-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi MyWay
yeah they have the two types of tri the one you have shown I have read post that they bang like nothing else and the early one's didn't turn so they flattend the back of the hull like the pic you have shown to help turning and then the had the othe type which is based on a single hull with the added sponsons at the back half of the hull only but stessl still seem to call it a tri hull as the stickers on the side of it indicate
cheers