PDA

View Full Version : Are Slingshot’s allowed

spears
01-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Are Slingshot's allowed in this country,never seen anyone selling them here so was thinking buying one in.

I want to use it as a bait thrower.

NAGG
02-10-2012, 01:50 AM
You can buy them in Qld - I've seen them in camping stores for about $30-40.
I 've seen them in Foxies Barra Havoc (Gin Gin) .

Chris

finga
02-10-2012, 06:10 AM
You'll find they can only be sold in parts.
They're a restricted item if I recall rightly and using them in a public place would not be acceptable.

It looks like they're allowed but you can't use them except for in your own living room if you own that living room.

On possessing slingshots, this is governed by state law. The Queensland Weapons Categories Regulation 1997 makes no mention of slingshots or similar devices falling under any category. The Queensland Weapons Act 1990 does make several mentions of slingshots, mainly to do with lawful possession and use. A summary:

* Must not discharge a slingshot on private land without the owner’s permission
* Must not possess/carry a slingshot on private land without the owner’s permission, unless it has been disassembled and cannot be readily discharged
* Must not carry a slingshot in exposed view in a public place
* Must not carry a slingshot capable of being discharged in a public place
* Must not discharge a slingshot in, into, over, towards or through a public place
* Must not engage in conduct that will cause injury/death, damage to property or alarm to another person.
* Must not possess or use a weapon if under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
* Self defence is not a valid reason/excuse to carry a slingshot
What really stands out for me (besides common sense) is that if I am carrying a slingshot, it is best to have it disassembled (band removed), and not to have one at all if I have had even just one drink. Other than that, provided I don’t use it in public or on someone else’s land, and don’t act in a way which could be viewed as threatening, I should be fine.

http://urbanoia.net/?p=716

sharkymark2
02-10-2012, 07:49 AM
I saw one the other day at a cheapy shop either in Sunnybank Hills shopping Town or at Sunnybank. It was only around $10. I can see that I was wrong about slingshots. It appears that you can carry them with restrictions. Might be able to fire a few half pillies at those annoying seabirds ;D. Might give my bait a chance to sink. My wife is always busy unhooking squire while I spend my time unhooking the bloody birds.:P

Muddy Toes
02-10-2012, 08:00 AM
They are fully legal in Queensland to buy over the counter, same as a compound bow, they both require no licence.

Triple
02-10-2012, 08:17 AM
This point says it all -
* Must not discharge a slingshot in, into, over, towards or through a public place.

So unless you own your own private bay, ocean or river then using if for bait slinging is illegal for qlders :-X

thelump
02-10-2012, 11:33 AM
My old man has one similar to that he sourced from the UK. He uses it for shooting burley out and it works quite well!

shauno555
02-10-2012, 11:54 AM
You can buy them but you can't get the ones with the arm brace attached. As far as I know they are illegal.
But in saying what illegal and what's not its a matter of who sees you using it. As far as I'm concerned it would be illegal to use it in the bay or any waters for that fact but if I saw you or anyone else using one in a harmless way such as to get rid of pesky birds and distract them by throwing half a pillie into the water. There is no way I would say anything and most fishos wouldnt either. Just don't expect the actual law enforcers to take it the same way.

You can buy sling shots in camping stores and even some sports stores.

Lucky Loz
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Dont know how big your boat is?/ But in the good old days they used to use Trebuchets to hurl things at other ships and castles etc... No laws about having one of them now is there boys!!!! Directions on Google how to make one .You can then throw a lot of burly... and the missus or the sea sick neighbour or whinging kids or......

Bros
02-10-2012, 01:24 PM
If used with a bag of cheap marbles it is great for moving cats along.

castlemaine
02-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I saw a stall that sold a heap of them at the Eumundi Markets.
Geeezz, I heard of a Charter boat where the deckies threw sinkers at a boat that was tailing and then drifting with them. Imagine if they had a slingshot. I'm getting old ... what did we call them when we were kids? 8-)

wayno60
02-10-2012, 02:40 PM
what did we call them when we were kids? 8-)..............ummmm slingshots

cdcfish
02-10-2012, 03:15 PM
what did we call them when we were kids?

shang eye

Oh Gee
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM

A Ghing

Dignity
02-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Sam as cdcfish - shangeyes is what we used to call them when I was a kid, they are sold at a few markets (Eumundi, Eudlo Creek etc) usaually around the $15 mark and like a number of things you can buy them but you can't use them, although not quite as you can still use them on your own property. And I can't even use it on the big black panther cat that soils my yard because it is likely to cause injury/death (the cat), damage to property (the cat) or alarm to another person (the cat's owner).

Dicko
02-10-2012, 06:06 PM
What's all this fancy talk of buying one ? What happened to just cutting down a nice forked stick & tying on some strips of old push bike tube ? worked fine when we were kids. :)

Dignity
02-10-2012, 06:18 PM
What's all this fancy talk of buying one ? What happened to just cutting down a nice forked stick & tying on some strips of old push bike tube ? worked fine when we were kids. :)

That was the only way to get one unless you had lots of $$$$$'s and even then you weren't allowed in to the gun shops to buy one.

You could still buy one and label it Mullet Tosser or someting inane so that when you get pulled up by the cops you look totally blank and surprised that it could be used for anything else.

murf
02-10-2012, 06:31 PM
what did we call them when we were kids? 8-)

Gonk and still do but I am from NSW

cheers Murf

Mike Delisser
02-10-2012, 06:33 PM
You can buy them but you can't get the ones with the arm brace attached. As far as I know they are illegal.

That is the view of Australian Customs.

thelump
02-10-2012, 07:46 PM

.....Gonks. Ooops just read your reply Murph. Yep it may be a NSW term.

thelump
02-10-2012, 07:48 PM

Same except we used to but honeycomb rubbers from the local newsagent.

banshee
02-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Prohibited weapon in NSW,authorities will tear you a new Ar$hole if your caught with one down here....can bring the same penalties as a sawn off shotgun.

Scalem
02-10-2012, 08:44 PM
I wish I had known i could have bought one..... went for a drive on Monday because the girls wanted to visit the Carrara markets down the goldy. The basic (still with speargun rubbers) were $10.00. The guy on the stall had another one or two models and he was serving a couple of blokes, I looked up and the women had disappeared into the crowd. Typical! Don't hang around and wait for me when I want to look at something!!Saw lots of shoes, jewelry, even a guy who will custom airbrush a cap to whatever name you want in graffiti style :-X So we came home with 2 girly hats (daughters) and two pieces of fudge, rum &raisen and caramel, but no slingshot:'(;D;D

Scalem

castlemaine
02-10-2012, 08:58 PM

shang eye

That's it! Thanks!

castlemaine
02-10-2012, 08:59 PM
..............ummmm slingshots

Not quite!, young fellow!

finga
03-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Bugger the shangeyes. Build a spud gun so you can shove a whole mullet in it :D

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/sniperpunkvasili7769/potato_gun_plans.jpg

Chaz
03-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Plenty of instructions on the net. I use Theraband strips for the rubbers and make the frame out of ply. An old fashioned sling would also work well for throwing bait or burley. Can make a sling in about 5 minutes with a bit of fabric and a couple of bits of string.

Chaz

Muddy Toes
03-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Bugger the shangeyes. Build a spud gun so you can shove a whole mullet in it :D

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/sniperpunkvasili7769/potato_gun_plans.jpg

There was a time many a year ago Scott when not a BBQ in the street had one of those igniters left on them.......

GES
03-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Not long ago, I saw a couple of blokes in the Magistrates Court at Beaudesert being convicted and fined for being in possession of and using a potato gun.

GES

finga
04-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Not long ago, I saw a couple of blokes in the Magistrates Court at Beaudesert being convicted and fined for being in possession of and using a potato gun.

GES
Why?? Are they illegal or something??

finga
04-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Why?? Are they illegal or something??
Apparently not
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/faq/generalQuestions.htm

Bloody fun busters got to us again :(

NAGG
04-10-2012, 10:11 AM
But in saying what illegal and what's not its a matter of who sees you using it. As far as I'm concerned it would be illegal to use it in the bay or any waters for that fact but if I saw you or anyone else using one in a harmless way such as to get rid of pesky birds and distract them by throwing half a pillie into the water. There is no way I would say anything and most fishos wouldnt either. Just don't expect the actual law enforcers to take it the same way.

You can buy sling shots in camping stores and even some sports stores.

I had a braced one when I was a kid (Falcon ??) - It was lethal when firing ball bearings being able tow go through a 20lt kero tin & dent the other side. The local rabbits copped a flogging - They were the days

Chris

GAFYM
07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Dignity...That cat makes great crab bait
What happened to thr forked stick and bit of car tyre. Costs nothing.
Got 2 for the damn parrots playing havoc with my vegie patch

FishHunter
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Slingshot= Kattie. Normally made from a forked branch and Haasrek and bicycle tube

Dignity
08-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Dignity...That cat makes great crab bait
What happened to thr forked stick and bit of car tyre. Costs nothing.
Got 2 for the damn parrots playing havoc with my vegie patch

Catching the beggar is the hard part and I know that crabs like them, it's not that I don't like cats, it their owners don't want to train them because they believe in that great urban myth that cats can not be trained. I have owned cats and they can be trained, mine would not even leave the yard and came when called, look at the number of people who own cats who never leave the house, if they weren't trained the house would be a mess.

Don't mind the parrots, so long as they dont crapp on the clothes line.

74fpv01
08-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Get this guy to build you one.....

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/10/this-nsfw-slingshot-cannon-shoots-vibrators-like-the-little-golden-bullets-they-are/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just_chips
09-10-2012, 12:10 PM
I had a braced one when I was a kid (Falcon ??) - It was lethal when firing ball bearings being able tow go through a 20lt kero tin & dent the other side. The local rabbits copped a flogging - They were the days

Chris

Yeh Derryn Hinch ruined it for everyone when he got on his show and shot a 1/4 inch ball bearing half way through the Sydney yellow pages. Shame, shame, shame Derryn......

Lucky Loz
17-11-2012, 02:13 PM
finga What Toothpaste does your smiley use. Very Hollywood. lol.

Lucky Loz
17-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Build it ..... and THEY will come.........and Make it ILLEGAL. The fun police ! Say no more!... Unless you want to of course ?

ubar
17-11-2012, 06:07 PM
The day Australia bans slingshots is the day i dont follow there crap rules no more lol....well actually i dont follow them anyway.....the spud gun was a good way to get the surf sinker and bait out to the salmon surf fishing absolutely awesome :)

finga
17-11-2012, 06:25 PM
finga What Toothpaste does your smiley use. Very Hollywood. lol.
Bloody Colgate. The only fang paste to use.....what else gets in eh Mrs Marsh?

wayno60
17-11-2012, 08:10 PM
they wont know who mrs marsh is!!!