PDA

View Full Version : Bimini tops

Owen
30-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Well the frames on the canopy of my 4.55 Quintrex escape broke and it's getting too hot to do without any shade.

I always found that the original was a pain in the arse because I had to unclip it from the windscreen and roll the front section back when travelling (my back won't allow travelling and sitting at the same time).
Also it wasn't high enough to stand under comfortably.

So this time I thinking of a standard type folding bimini (no clears).

Has anyone used the units at Bias or BCF?
Do you know what size/thickness the bows are?
How have they faired durability/quality wise?

I'm leaning towards getting one from Rowland Street trimmers for known quality, but the price is a fair bit higher.

Seahorse
30-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I had a 6 ft bimini made for my stacer. The top of the bimini was about 900 higher than the windscreen. I then had a set of clears made for front that zipped onto top of bimini and clipped onto widscreen. Then had a window put in clear for driver.
Mate i have my stacer for sale on boat sales. Look under bay master, $18250 and look at the pics.
It was brilliant

Seahorse
30-09-2012, 03:57 PM
I have a free standing bimini on my seajay 455 that i may be selling. I had it made by a trimmer.

barra71
30-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Look at the end of the day, Bias or BCF are made to a small buget so if you want it to last spend the $$ and a good one made for what you want it to do..

if you buy cheap that is what it is half the life half of what you want..
I would rather spend $600 to get one made to what i want and to do what i want it to do and last 5 yrs than pay $ 200- $300 for something that will last 2yrs and not do the job that you are looking for

LittleSkipper
01-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Well the frames on the canopy of my 4.55 Quintrex escape broke and it's getting too hot to do without any shade.

I always found that the original was a pain in the arse because I had to unclip it from the windscreen and roll the front section back when travelling (my back won't allow travelling and sitting at the same time).
Also it wasn't high enough to stand under comfortably.

So this time I thinking of a standard type folding bimini (no clears).

Has anyone used the units at Bias or BCF?
Do you know what size/thickness the bows are?
How have they faired durability/quality wise?

I'm leaning towards getting one from Rowland Street trimmers for known quality, but the price is a fair bit higher.

Does something like this interest you?

Owen
01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
LittleSkipper,
That's something like what I'm thinking of.

Dignity
01-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Owen, Roland Street do a good job although it has been a while since I have used them. The last time was for a new set of clears and side curtains, the front clears had semicircular zips put into them (flat part was on the windscreen part) just zip and roll down, they also built in a strap to secure it.

davo189
16-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I want to ge a Bimini made for my Haines centre console - can anyone recommend a trimmer on the northside of Brisbane who will make a custom bimini ???

The-easyrider
16-10-2012, 05:13 PM
I would go and see Ray at Rays marine and canvas really knows his craft and is great to deal with

LittleSkipper
16-10-2012, 08:59 PM
I want to ge a Bimini made for my Haines centre console - can anyone recommend a trimmer on the northside of Brisbane who will make a custom bimini ???

Mobile Boat Canopies in Narangba make custom bimini's to suit any boat.

davo189
18-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I would go and see Ray at Rays marine and canvas really knows his craft and is great to deal with

I did actually call Ray a couple of weeks ago; he does a "standard" 2m bimini but he didn't sound keen when i asked about making a custom one a bit smaller.