PDA

View Full Version : Tilt problem - hydraulic or electrical?

jigsnreels
29-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Hi guys,

Boat had been sitting for a few weeks (yep, there's problem already::)) Went out to trim engine up - trim motor sounds normal but engine won't move up or down. I can move it by hand about 10 or 15cm, but no amount of up or down wards pressure gets it to budge.

The cylinder seems to be full of fluid and there are no apparent leaks. It worked perfectly a few wweeks back.

Engine is a '98 Johnson 175 - any ideas?

Spaniard_King
29-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Hi guys,

Boat had been sitting for a few weeks (yep, there's problem already::)) Went out to trim engine up - trim motor sounds normal but engine won't move up or down. I can move it by hand about 10 or 15cm, but no amount of up or down wards pressure gets it to budge.

The cylinder seems to be full of fluid and there are no apparent leaks. It worked perfectly a few wweeks back.

Engine is a '98 Johnson 175 - any ideas?

This is some what confusing. From what I can gather you are low on trim fluid. You must therefore have a leak.

jigsnreels
29-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Yeh, true. When I say 10-15cm, that's at the prop - the tilt ram will move about 3cm up out of the cylinder. Have just been out and put in fluid, while running the motor, till it's running back out. Apart from the bit I can move it by hand, it doesn't budge one bit on the hydraulics even with my strapping 17yo sitting on it!

gruntahunta
29-09-2012, 09:35 AM
You havent got the clip/transport bracket engaged...or it sounds like something is blocking it... Oh you cant get it to go either way?...Is the motor down or Up currently?
There could be air in the hydralic system or a blockage...Does not sound like it is electrical as you can hear the pump/motor going!...

Take the lid off the resoirvoir and, have some cloths ready, trim motoer down or up & see if the fluid is aerating..... not sure if it will be under loads of pressure here so be careful....other than that I think blockage in fluid pipes.

jigsnreels
29-09-2012, 10:25 AM
No, transport bracket's not engaged. It wont go up or down, apart from the small amount i can lift it up. It's stuck at about half tilt.

I've checked the fluid whilst trimming it - no aeration in the fluid. Could be a blockage in the pipes, but if so, it's a total blockage, not a restriction. Seems odd for that to have happened since it was working well a few weeks back, but anythings possible.

Fed
29-09-2012, 02:14 PM
The first thing I'd do is go & buy a genuine manual.

Then loosen the release valve and lift it up onto the tilt locks.
Top up the oil.
Close the release valve.
Lower it back down & try to cycle it again.

Look in your new manual for pressure relief valve and pump coupling.
I thought they cured the pressure relief valve problem but maybe not because my 1988 manual still mentions it as a possible cause along with the pump coupling which you also have.

jigsnreels
29-09-2012, 06:55 PM
All good again here.

Loosened the relief valve, moved the motor and from that point everything worked again. It needed a bit of a topup but not much. Just some kind of lock-up, I guess.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Spaniard_King
30-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Low fluid level will give you lock ups at the top of the stroke

boney-leg
18-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Low fluid level will give you lock ups at the top of the stroke

Gary - Does the trim tilt lose fluid over time or does low fluid mean a leak in the seals?

Spaniard_King
18-11-2012, 02:14 PM
All Trim and tilt units are a sealed unit therefore should not lose fluid but for a leak