PDA

View Full Version : Caloundra Bar

Zippidy
27-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Hi Team,

I'm heading up the coast with the in-laws for the weekend and was going to drag the Rogue up there.

Can anyone here give any hints on crossing Caloundra bar?

I should get there on Saturday afternoon(ish) and will go for a walk to see what others are doing and to look at the general condition, but any further information would be greatly appreciated.

I won't be crossing it unless the weather gets a bit better but will judge it closer to the time.

I'm not very experienced in bar crossings but have done SPB about 5 times myself and never had any issues.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

2IC
27-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Chris call into VMR Caloundra & have a chat to the guys there,, they will give you all the advice you need,,looking at the wind & tides I would do a early run out sunday morning then be back in mid morning before tide got to low
cheers Bill

Zippidy
27-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Chris call into VMR Caloundra & have a chat to the guys there,, they will give you all the advice you need,,looking at the wind & tides I would do a early run out sunday morning then be back in mid morning before tide got to low
cheers Bill

I didn't think of that, thanks. Is the VMR from Bribie? I looked on the website and it said they do 2nm North of Caloundra bar. There's also a Caloundra Coast Guard. I'll go in and see the Coast Guard either way.

Early run out on Sunday sounds good.

Again, thanks for the help.

Gon Fishun
27-09-2012, 02:25 PM
The wife and I spent a few days in a unit at Bulcock Beach near Deepwater Point 2 weeks ago which is right opposite the bar and we had a good view of it.
My suggestion would be ( as well as talking to VMR and CG) have a look at it from the board walk at low tide ( 1.30 pm ish Sat 29th). I had never seen it at low tide before and it opened my eyes. ( never crossed it either.)
Cheers.

Zippidy
27-09-2012, 04:50 PM
The wife and I spent a few days in a unit at Bulcock Beach near Deepwater Point 2 weeks ago which is right opposite the bar and we had a good view of it.
My suggestion would be ( as well as talking to VMR and CG) have a look at it from the board walk at low tide ( 1.30 pm ish Sat 29th). I had never seen it at low tide before and it opened my eyes. ( never crossed it either.)
Cheers.

Is there anything in particular that caught your attention?

Gon Fishun
27-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Is there anything in particular that caught your attention?

There was a strong south westerly, 20 knots, and probably 2-300 metres of up to 1200mm of breaking waves that were heading straight up the channel. I have no idea how deep the channel is.
There was quite a few wind surfers buzzing around but not a long way out in the channel. You might have to dodge a couple of em.

Lucky_Phill
28-09-2012, 05:40 AM
I didn't think of that, thanks. Is the VMR from Bribie? I looked on the website and it said they do 2nm North of Caloundra bar. There's also a Caloundra Coast Guard. I'll go in and see the Coast Guard either way.

Again, thanks for the help.

The Caloundra Coast Guard are the ones to chat to.,

I can pm you a phone number of a member / staffer there if you like ?

LP

randell
28-09-2012, 08:02 AM
The Moollolah Rv bar is much safer, only 10 km north ,, there have been a few roll overs on the Caloundra bar recently, in the last couple of years.
If you have experience , its probably OK..
randell