PDA

View Full Version : Mondy Setup? Advice thanks?

Gigantor
27-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Will be heading to Monduran in a month or so maybe and wonder what the lightest rod/reel/line combination I could use there?

I've seen suggestions of 8 to 10kg rod, 4000+ series reel and 50lb braid to a 80lb leader - mainly because of the timber.

But wondering if going slightly lighter will offer more fish & fun?

Cheers,

Pete

Feral
27-09-2012, 10:23 AM
You could probably get away with a 4 to 6 or 7kg rod and 20lb braid, since the floods most of the fish being caught are in the 60 to 70cm mark. Still good enough (if your good enough!) to land a pond donkey if you happen to find one.

MEG-A-BITE
27-09-2012, 10:39 AM
The lighter you fish the better.May lose some fish, but will have a better strike rate.

NAGG
27-09-2012, 12:20 PM
A 6-8kg spinstick ..... 20lb braid & 60lb leader will suit you fine & allow for some fun ( a typical 7ft snapper soft plastics outfit)
A 8kg baitcaster & 16-20lb braid - if you prefer overheads.
If you do hook a better class of fish - just remember the harder you go the harder it will go .

Chris

Gigantor
27-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks, Chaps. Was in the area I was thinking. Much appreciated.

Cheers, Pete

Gigantor
26-10-2012, 08:27 AM
A quick report from last weeks trip to Mondy.

Fished Thursday & Friday with Rod Wood on his Skeeter and got 9 barra on Thurs and 6 on Friday and nothing on Sat from the kayak. Fish were all on the small side - range was 30cm to 70cm. Most were in the 40cm area. Got most from the backs of small bays and inlets. Fish didn't seem to be on the bite - fish hit the lures after multiple casts to the same spots, which was more the fact that we were pissing them off. The 2 main areas we got fish were rainforest bay and cow bay. We would go back to these 2 spots at different times each day and get a couple of fish. Saw heaps of bigger fish on the side scan sounder but never hooked any of them - the bigger fish appeared to be moving out into the deeper sections chasing bait.

But good fun for our first trip to Mondy.

Cheers,

Pete

THIS WAS THE TYPICAL SIZE OF THE FISH WE CAUGHT.

crab man
26-10-2012, 12:44 PM
nice ork mate ! people ould kill for a first trip like that

Craig