PDA

View Full Version : Best way to wash your fiberglass Boat?.

ozskippy
25-09-2012, 04:44 PM
In preparation for the arrival of my new toy I was wondering how people clean their fiberglass boats and what products they have found work best

ovakil
25-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Get your wife to do it while you're having a beer.lol

ozskippy
25-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Shit why didn't I think of that!!! Do you think she would gut the fish too???

Scalem
25-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I put in a small water tank while we were in drought. Only 750 ltr tank at the front of the carport almost solely used for washing cars and the boat. Then I bought a Karcher which blasts the salt off (not too close or I would lose rego stickers ), using very little water in the process. Yalta come with perspex windscreens with very clear message do not use chemicals on windscreen. So I don't use chemicals PERIOD! Once in a while fish guts, blood and pelican poop needs a little carwash thrown in ( the bats from next doors palm trees use my boat as target practice too!), but 90% of the time I think natural rainwater does not leave water marks and does not have chlorine in it, and the duco is like new after 4 years. Got its 1st treat of cornubia wax on the weekend - the 1st time

Scalem

ozskippy
25-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Bet she is gleaming with the new wax!!!

Chimo
25-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Scalem is not just a pretty face, IMHO he is on the money with post 4. Would certainly stand a fair way back with the Karcher tho.

By the way what happened to Finga's Karcher trial? Still happening or no?::)

Cheers
Chimo

PS Check out the blue car covers from Repco too. Nice elastic at each end a good tie in the middle. I got a "Rolls Royce" sized one to cover from the screen to back over the motors and I may yet get a slightly smaller one to go from the rocket launcher to the bow. Inexpensive cover and they breath well too.

scuttlebutt
25-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I use truckwash in one of those Saltaway clip on hose sprayers. Easy and seems to work pretty well.

ozskippy
25-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Sweet I will check them out. I was just using an old tarp for the tinny that I just sold

Willow1
25-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I agree with scuttlebutt, Been using truckwash for years and it definately does a good job and leaves a nice finish

MikeyS
26-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Karcher for a pre and post rinse from rainwater tank , and hand wash using CT-18 truckwash in between. When I hand wash I tend to find any scratches or loose thinggies that i wouldn't otherwise notice, and some bits tend to need a bit of a scrub (roller scuffs, etc). All accompanied by a post trip coldie.

gofishin
26-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Truckwash is pretty strong, and quickly takes away polish or the natural repellent qualities of gelcoat (and is certainly not good for ally boats).

I’m with Scalem and Chimo, and only use soap as a last resort if I get a scum line at the transom/water line etc – and the Karcher won’t get it off! Occasionally I use a bit of the spray stuff around the cockpit for stubborn bait/fish grime. Use a neutral pH (gentle) soap, and the wash’n’wax type liquid soap products seem to work well – or have the least effect on the gelcoat/polish.

My glass boat is 4 yrs old in a week, I have only polished it once (1 yr ago – but never the s/s), and people always comment that it still looks like new (especially since it hasn’t been out much this year ). A $180 Karcher has served me well, and is all you’ll need, and I blast pretty close without any problems.

A good quality chamois is a must (large size), and always shammy down after a wash – even if your boat is stored outside. Pay particular attention to the s/steel. If you do it properly the chamois gets any salt water/crystals that you missed, and is especially good for the stainless.
Cheers
Brendon

fishfeeder
26-09-2012, 01:43 PM
I am no expert but be carefull with CT-18 truck wash... I am allmost sure it removed the polish I had on my boat..
I had to re polish the entire boat as it went dull after using CT-18 a few times.

I was told it has no wax in it and I should be using CT-20 (wash and Wax)

Cheers
Brett

Micadogs
26-09-2012, 04:13 PM
I use 3M boat wash. It will take away rust, degrease engines, remove water marks etc. It is brilliant at making your boat clean. As it is a degreaser, it will remove polish and wax etc.

As such, I only give it a wash with 3M boat wash once or twice a year. Then follow up with polish and wax. The boat comes up like new. This routine takes approx 3-4 hours though, hence why only once or twice a year.

For all other times that I wash the boat it is water only. Sometimes I use a high pressure cleaner and others just the hose depending upon time.

Cheers Adam

tricksgonefishing
26-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I agree with Micadogs. The 3M is a good way to take polish off your boat as is CT18. You should remove old polish before you repolish as some of the salt becomes imbeded in the wax and over several years becomes noticable. May not be an issue with white gelcoat but you will see it in dark coulors as water marks that dont seem to polish off. If you are not going to polish your boat just use rain water or softend water and a chamios or a microfiber cloth. If you have any teak on your boat stay away from it with the pressere cleaner or you will damage it.

Now all you have to do is teach all these good tips to the misses and hope for the best.

Cheers Trick

MikeyS
27-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I am no expert but be carefull with CT-18 truck wash... I am allmost sure it removed the polish I had on my boat..
I had to re polish the entire boat as it went dull after using CT-18 a few times.

I was told it has no wax in it and I should be using CT-20 (wash and Wax)

Cheers
Brett
Thanks for the tip. Might change to CT20 in future.

team_mongo
27-09-2012, 01:47 PM
I wash it down with the karcher first and then use CT20 wash and wax in spray on (like a weed and feed) container. Be careful using the marcher from tank water. I have a lot of dust around my place, and the sediment in the tank water killed off my karcher. My dealer recommended wash and wax between waxes as that is how he details his clients boats.

TM

Scalem
27-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Be careful using the marcher from tank water. I have a lot of dust around my place, and the sediment in the tank water killed off my karcher.
TM

Good advice, I will look into rigging up an in line filter of some sort as I get a bit of leaf material despite having a first flush setup.

Scalem

deckie
27-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Not a fan of truckwash type stuff coz i reckon it just strips off polish/wax. I try to use just water and a light detergent if needed but not go overboard cleaning. F/water to me is needed to dditch the salt but is the enemy of the boat, whilst s/water is the enemy of the trailer and needs more f/water attention. Probably sounds dumb. Rather do a proper clean then polish/wax couple times a season and just get the salt off with f/water and broom the deck. Rather get any bad guts and grime off with s/w deckwash on the way back in then light f/water hose to get salt off when on trailer.
Careful not to use anything strongish on your windscreens..most are acrylic/polycarbonate/lexan material which are UV tolerant but dont like any type of solvent/strong detergents etc. You can kill them with kindness and soon end up with that crazed/dull appearance u cant even see thru.

Chimo
28-09-2012, 06:30 AM
Karcher does sell an in-line filter that screws on at the unit inlet and contains a removable; for cleaning; fine screen. I was sold mine at the time I bought my karcher and at the same time I was instructed to zip tie the trigger on and use the power switch to operate the unit to ensure the long term survival of the pump motor. So far so good.

The gell coat and polish sheen on my 97 Seafarer Vagabond is still excellent considering the infrequent applications of polish it gets. Anything that removes / strips polish / wax is the enemy and IMHO is to be used sparingly. In the last dozen years the boat has had two sessions with a pro who has cleaned and then removed all press stud fittings from the boat as he power polishes.

Given FRP is rated as having a 50 year lifespan in the nuclear industry we should get a few more years given what we used them for.

Cheers
Chimo

stue2
28-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Well finga still has his karcher and I still have a sponge:-)
Apart from a bit of bird poop, the salty damp that stays up and under the transom and in the cabin is more of a worry to me. Slowly soaking into electronic components and terminals.
I do use a small amount of detergent to wash the glass but its difficult to get the carpets and side pockets right
Stu

Chimo
28-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Stu

Moisture in the spots you mention was also an issue for me with some mould present which was originally chased with a range of chemicals. Anyhoo being essentially a lazy GOM the solution has proven to be a couple of 240 volt computer fans that now run 24/7 when the boat is close to 240 volts. QED

No more mould and therefore much reduced damp. Re the salty aspect of the damp, there is no other option but to rinse with lots of fresh with a little dish soap or better still some odour killer ie gemricidal disinfectant that also removes it. Apply with a second hand "weed and feed" applicator. Try "Odour Kill" from Elite Chemicals as is used in commercial washrooms / loos and you too can have a lolly smelling boat (for a short while) till the air flowing thru removes it. You didn't smell it while here did you?

Cheers
Chimo

stue2
28-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Ta mate. Don't recall the lollies smell but remember something about fans. I give it a real good hose out with f/water. The secret seems to be being able to completely dry it out. That is a good hot day in the sun after a good fresh bath. If I cant get it dry enough then the salty damp arrives. Might try the fans for the winter months and a descent cover perhaps.

cheers
Stu

Chimo
28-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Stu

As I mentioned in another post if your going to stick a cover over the Vag check out the blue "GearUp" covers from Repco. Three layer water repellent, breathable Olefin fabric with elastic hems at front and rear with uv dust moisture and mildew protection. The co is in Mulgrave down your way.

I'm using them on the Vag which is out side at present and also on a 40 yr old car of mine thats also outside at the moment as I sort out the bugs. Damn hard to get parts for some of this old stuff now, oh well adds to the challenge, I have still got it roadworthy tho.)

Shame I don't get a cut on these covers but they are very well priced so there's probably not much in it anyway! I have an X large (Rolls Royce size) (5.8m) running from the front of the hardtop to the rear of the motors so it covers them too.. Thinking about another med (4.7m) or large (5.3) to go from the bow back, probably to the infill across the rocket launcher so it would sit nicely.

Cheers
Chimo

PS you might have to kick a few sheep out of the shearing shed / barn and pop it in there or are you leaving the Vag at the coast for the season?

thylacene
28-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Super cheap sell rectangular microfiber mops with an alloy handle, I give ours a quick rinse, the mop it with ct20 wash n wax, and rinse off with a trigger nozzle. Have bought a handful as gifts for mates I go out with, we all reckon they cut heaps of time off the wash. You can cover a lot of ground on flat sides really quickly, and even under the hull, they are about 8 x 6 inches, come with a spare cover and will set you back around 30 bills. 2 years and 300 hours in and still looks like new.

thylacene
28-09-2012, 11:38 PM
One of these even http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Turtle-Wax-Miracle-Mop-and-Refill.aspx?pid=156540#Description

FishHunter
29-09-2012, 06:45 AM
Wash and wax and a regular coat of Carnuba wax.

PinHead
29-09-2012, 07:00 AM
have a read: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?104589-Detailing-HOW-TO

I used to just hose the boat after a trip then chamois it..then once a year get Dave (blackened) over to polish and detail.

LittleSkipper
29-09-2012, 07:26 AM
In preparation for the arrival of my new toy I was wondering how people clean their fiberglass boats and what products they have found work best

Hey ozskippy! Whats this new toy? Is it a gift you bought the misses to clean fibreglass boats with?

ozskippy
29-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Hahaha no mate, ordered a new Haines signature 485sf.. First glass boat, I have always had tinneys, and at that price just want her glistening !!!!

stue2
30-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Stu

As I mentioned in another post if your going to stick a cover over the Vag check out the blue "GearUp" covers from Repco. Three layer water repellent, breathable Olefin fabric with elastic hems at front and rear with uv dust moisture and mildew protection. The co is in Mulgrave down your way.

I'm using them on the Vag which is out side at present and also on a 40 yr old car of mine thats also outside at the moment as I sort out the bugs. Damn hard to get parts for some of this old stuff now, oh well adds to the challenge, I have still got it roadworthy tho.)

Shame I don't get a cut on these covers but they are very well priced so there's probably not much in it anyway! I have an X large (Rolls Royce size) (5.8m) running from the front of the hardtop to the rear of the motors so it covers them too.. Thinking about another med (4.7m) or large (5.3) to go from the bow back, probably to the infill across the rocket launcher so it would sit nicely.

Cheers
Chimo

PS you might have to kick a few sheep out of the shearing shed / barn and pop it in there or are you leaving the Vag at the coast for the season?

Thanks Chimo, I will check them out. I have a shed for the vag but the birds are a real problem. Put a clean boat away and pull out a dirty one when we go for a fish.

cheers
stu

rosco1974
30-09-2012, 02:56 PM
my boat gets a good wash from the hose and i use a soft broom as well to scrub it..bout as good as mine gets..gets the special treatment once a yr with a good polish