PDA

View Full Version : Sea jay boats

Seahorse
25-09-2012, 01:14 PM
What an arrogant mob sea jay boats are. U would have seen from some previous posts that I am considering upgrading my motor to a little bigger.

I rang seajay direct just to talik to someone and ask what their reasons would be for max hp of 50 on their territory, which I have.

Well I never got past the lady on the switch. I tried to explain what I want but she just said point blank, that they do not replate their boats. I again tried to explain but I thought she was very abrupt and just said no.

I only wanted to talk to someone, but that wasn't going to happen.

Well I can tell u now that this mob will not get any more of my money, as I have received quotes from stones corner marine for a new boat.

I hate trying to deal with people who won't talk to u, when all u want is a bit of info.

I am in 2 minds about ringing back and ask for owner or manager or someone with authority.

Maybe that woman needs a bit of customer relations training or a new job.

SunnyCoastMark
25-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Hey Seahorse,
I have spoken to Col (the owner) a few times now at various boat shows - and he is always happy to answer any questions. Comes across as a pretty humble guy actually. Not sure who the lady on the switch was? (Cols wife is Janelle). - I would give them a call back and ask to speak to Col - or his son Troy.

Mark

fishing111
25-09-2012, 01:30 PM
It f&^&**# amazes me Seahorse that businesses don't realise that in most cases they won't get the second opportunity for good customer service as people will walk. A Receptionist that "thinks" they know it all, right or wrong should do what you asked and put you over to someone in authority. You can't have a good product without good customer service as they go hand in hand now days.

Seahorse
25-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Nah, no second chances here. Stuff them.

NAGG
25-09-2012, 04:26 PM
I dealt with Troy and found him most accommodating - however my introduction came through Stones Cnr first .

Chris

Si
25-09-2012, 04:38 PM
so you going to buy another aluminium boat seahorse?

boof23
25-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Seajay tiller are rated to 50 max and if you add a consol they are rated to 60 max thats what seajay advised me 6 months ago, i think i spoke with a lady there

Seahorse
25-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Boof
That's the sort of info I am after. Obviously different lady than me.

I just got a pm from a guy called Troy glass from sea jay.

Waiting to hear from him, at least that's something in right direction.

How hard was that boof

Cheers
Greg

rosco1974
25-09-2012, 06:12 PM
could see u running around in a cat greg bugger the tinnies...

Salad Fingers
25-09-2012, 06:59 PM
i just had my sea jay re-rated - not through sea jay though.
its not the end of the world mate.

sea jay obviously have business reasons not to rate their boats differently - liability being the biggest one i assume.
go and see an independant marine sueveyor

hooknpull
25-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Seajay after sales are rubbish. They made me a custom boat to suit my needs and rated it to there standard boat. When I told them it was under powered they told me to sell it. I got it rerated by someone else, pm me if u want his number he is at surfers paradise but after a few months of having it I spent the cash n got a 6m fiberglass boat. Haven't looked bAck since.

Seahorse
25-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I got a phone call from Troy at sea jay late this arvo.

This is one hell of a forum.

He explained to me about how boats are rated and all done by formula.

He said that its not that he didn't think the boat couldn't handle the 70, but they wouldn't rerate. It's all this formula thing. I sort of understand. He gave me some sonerous on boats and motors.

He said seajay would approve the 60 hp on it if converted to a forward steer such as a side console. That was a small win but he said it would only give a extra top end speed of couple k's per hour. I would have thought an increase of 20% extra power would give u bit more that that.
He also said that there was someone in Bris who would rerate but they must take full responsibility, and all on there he'd if all went wrong somewhere. Good point I thought.
I am a liitle confused about this relating thing. With the warranties.

I really want to convert to side console cause I think new boat might be a bit out of reach.

I really getting sick of tiller steer. Decisions, decisions,

But as I said before this forum is fantastic, otherwise I wouldn't have got these answers.

Cheers
Greg

SunnyCoastMark
25-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Hey Greg,
good to hear that you spoke to Troy. Like any good manufactrurer, they have to be careful liability wise. The fromula they use is there for not only the customers protection - but also the manufacturer.

I think Bias sell a poly side console mount if you want to DIY

Mark

Seahorse
27-09-2012, 06:22 AM
I will have a look. But i can get an ally one made.

Just dont know what to do now. I really wanted the 70 but just in 2 minds.

Is it worth it to put in side console and go from 50 to 60hp?

Cheers
Greg

Moonlighter
27-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Hi Greg

The formula Troy was referring to is in the Australian Standard for small Boats AS1799.

See here:
http://www.nmsc.gov.au/media/pages_media_files/files/AS1799%20Small%20Craft%20-%20Part%2012-General%20Requirements%20for%20Power%20Boats.pdf

Have a read of section 2.6 and then look at appendix F. It sets it out quite clearly. It should answer a few of your questions. Section 2.6.3 lists additional requirements for tiller steered boats as you will see.

Anyone that re rated a boat to a new hp that was different from the result given using the method set out in the standard would, I think, be taking a significant risk.

As you will see when you read this document, it says that The max power rating "shall be Determined by the following method". The word "shall" means that it must be done that way, no other choice for the manufacturer.

If I got someone to relate a hull, I would want a written statement that it had been done in conformity with the method in the standard and clearly stating that they accepted all responsibility for any incident arising for the new rating, and evidence of their professional indemnity insurance.

This all makes it pretty obvious why manufacturers like Seajay won't re-rate their hulls. In their shoes,I wouldn't either.

Hope this helps.

ML

johncar
27-09-2012, 09:23 AM
A 60HP on that boat should be more than plenty and the 50HP you have now I would have thought ideal for that size and weight of boat. It can be fairly costly to do the upgrade what you are thinking of even if you can get your console built on the cheap and possibly better to just sell what you have and buy a more suitable rig as there must be plenty on the market.
I have done a conversion like you are talking about and although it worked out well, I doubt if I would go to the trouble again.
Good luck with it.

Salad Fingers
27-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Hi Greg

The formula Troy was referring to is in the Australian Standard for small Boats AS1799.

See here:
http://www.nmsc.gov.au/media/pages_media_files/files/AS1799%20Small%20Craft%20-%20Part%2012-General%20Requirements%20for%20Power%20Boats.pdf

Have a read of section 2.6 and then look at appendix F. It sets it out quite clearly. It should answer a few of your questions. Section 2.6.3 lists additional requirements for tiller steered boats as you will see.

Anyone that re rated a boat to a new hp that was different from the result given using the method set out in the standard would, I think, be taking a significant risk.

As you will see when you read this document, it says that The max power rating "shall be Determined by the following method". The word "shall" means that it must be done that way, no other choice for the manufacturer.

If I got someone to relate a hull, I would want a written statement that it had been done in conformity with the method in the standard and clearly stating that they accepted all responsibility for any incident arising for the new rating, and evidence of their professional indemnity insurance.

This all makes it pretty obvious why manufacturers like Seajay won't re-rate their hulls. In their shoes,I wouldn't either.

Hope this helps.

ML

manurfacturers dont just use that formula to rate boats..... its also handling tests, dare i say marketing and how they fit into the line up and desired motors...

my boat got rerated and report created stating its sea worthiness relating to the australian standard..
it can be done, like i said, talk to an independant marine surveyor.

Seahorse
27-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey salad what was ur rerating?

Moonlighter
27-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Salad

Have a read of the Standard mate before you go spouting off.

It includes, in appendix F, a set series of handling tests over specific courses in specific conditions, repeated several times, and the boat must pass those tests before the hp resulting from applying the formula can be confirmed. The formula and the practical test are both in the Standard and go hand in hand.

I don't doubt that you got yours upgraded. Keep that report you got handy, along with a copy of his PI insurance policy, one day you might need them, you never know. Don't forget to pass them on to the new owner if you ever decide to sell. And make sure you disclose what you've had done to the buyer.

Cheers

ML

Salad Fingers
27-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Hey salad what was ur rerating?

from max of 130hp to 150hp.
nothing too crazy.

Salad Fingers
27-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Salad

Have a read of the Standard mate before you go spouting off.

It includes, in appendix F, a set series of handling tests over specific courses in specific conditions, repeated several times, and the boat must pass those tests before the hp resulting from applying the formula can be confirmed. The formula and the practical test are both in the Standard and go hand in hand.

I don't doubt that you got yours upgraded. Keep that report you got handy, along with a copy of his PI insurance policy, one day you might need them, you never know. Don't forget to pass them on to the new owner if you ever decide to sell. And make sure you disclose what you've had done to the buyer.

Cheers

ML

i have the read the standard - what did i say that was wrong?
the standard not only includes the formula but the handling tests.... so you agree with me? i don't get it.

in terms of insurance i dont need a copy of anyone elses insurance policy. thats what i have insurance for mate, and yes this report (which includes how it was re-rated, by who and on what authority) has been passed onto my insurer who is happy. that is all that is required.

Moonlighter
28-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Sorry - sounded like you were saying that the alternative to the formula is the handling tests. That being the case, yes, we agree that the formula in Section 2.6 has to be used, and then safe performance has to be verified using the on-water testing as per appendix F.

So your guy actually took the boat out onto the water and ran the tests as per the standard? Without giving away commercial in confidence details, roughly how much was the cost of the services to do the re-rating??

Cheers

ML

Seahorse
30-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I am waiting for confirmation from sea jay boats about upgrading to a yammy 60 hp 4str.

To go and buy a boat already set up it would cost me another $20000, because i would go bigger.

I am happy with my territory and as i want a side console i feel ,rather than convert tiller to forward steer , i would just upgrade to a 60 hp as motor comeswith all controls etc.

Total cost for upgrade after trade in on the 50hp yammy 4 str, ( only has approx 50 hrs) on the new 60 hp 4 st yammy, all steering, custom made console, fitted will be around $5000, hopefully bit less.

I know might be bit over capitalize on the sea jay but i will then have what i want.

I think the 60 will be fine.

If anyone wants as new yammy, send me a pm.

Cheers
Greg

johncar
30-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Sounds great if you could get out of it for around the $5K mark. I had to do the whole floor structure, beef it all up to take the centre console and factored in custom under floor ally fuel tank and plumbing. Steering setup, electrics, electronics plus a canopy, The list went on a bit. Also had some ally storage boxes made with seats on top, one forward and one rear of the CC.
The thing that annoyed me at the end was that it was overcapitalised and when I sold it I didn't get near the value I put into it back. The Quinnie I modded never came as a CC so being non standard configuration just meant a lot of explanation to a prospective buyer plus it never gelled with the insurance co.
I liked the boat though when it was done, it performed nicely and was so much better than tiller steer set up. The main downside that I didn't address was the typical open transom, so it was still limited to smooth waters. So since selling it a couple of years back I had a plan to buy something a little bigger with a full height transom and half portifino pod style rear end so it can go a bit further and wider. I should have just put my money and efforts toward this in the first place but anyway currently getting a hull built to better suit what I wanted.
But you know what you best need and your budget Greg, I just thought I would share my thoughts in doing such a project.

theoldlegend
30-09-2012, 05:07 PM
There's a feature article in today's Sunday Mail about a Seajay boat. Page 67.

It's 4.7 metres, 60hp tiller steer, 5 persons.

TOL

Seahorse
30-09-2012, 06:16 PM
John. 5000 will pull it up. As I said before if I bought another I would spend lot more as I would go bigger. And I only buy new.

Seahorse
30-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Legend I saw that. Would have to pay 30000 plus.