PDA

View Full Version : YABBIES.... Alive on Hook?

gruntahunta
23-09-2012, 02:49 PM
How does anyone keep yabbies alive on the hook...that is how/where do you thread them onto the hook without killing them.

I have used super glue to attach soldier crabs but never tried this with yabbies...

Any suggestions!

goat boy
23-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Just pin them through the tail joints once or twice with the hook. They'll stay alive a while like that

Sheik
24-09-2012, 08:08 AM
very good for catching trumpies (grunter) around the sandy straight. Like goat boy says, pin them through the tail. Big bream also love them. Experiment. Just make sure you've got plenty for the pickers! Young fellow got a jack on a whiting rod with this method on the Burrum a few years back.

gruntahunta
24-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks Sheik & goat boy... I have never thought of doing it through the tail...makes sense as most fish probably attack from behind.

jmwarner
24-09-2012, 11:45 AM
I've always threaded them from the end of the tail then brought the hook out just before their legs and they seem to stay alive for a bit.

deckie
27-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Use them a lot in Sydney and as others said thru the tail is about as good as u can do to keep them alive longest...lob cast and bring back in gently.
Might sound silly but we get more and harder takes first up when u take the main claw off. Maybe some of the food fish we chase are a little wary of the big dude claws too...take the claw off and fish like whiting bream etc seem to hit harder and not stuff u about. A yabbie/nipper without a main claw must be like christmas has come for them.
I reckon if u have good live yabbies/nippers and still get nothing after10mins you're fishing a desert and time to move already ...nothing can resist them including jew.