PDA

View Full Version : My one that got away tale from today

MacDougall
21-09-2012, 03:51 PM
It's rare that you are as happy as I am when you lose a fish of a lifetime but the story and the circumstances are so funny and the story so good that I'm not that cut.

I was fishing off the bank in Lawrence in the Clarence today and having good fun on bream (yes the bream are on in Lawrence big time). I hooked what I called for a picker bream, really nothing to write home about, maybe the weakest take I had all day. I was winding it in and got it just about to the bank when it turned around on me and took off for deep water. I am convinced that it was swallowed on the bank by something because I felt the weight of it change drastically.

Line started peeling off and I was fishing very light. 6lb fluoro spooled all the way on with the same as leader fishing with bait so I came to attention pretty fast. I was concerned that it would spool me for a while but it slowed down and stopped in the deep water. Just stopped cold in the water. I put weight onto it and it started coming towards me. So I pumped and wound it back in. It was HEAVY as but just let me wind it in. When I got it back in to about where it first took off, it darted off to the side and down and snagged me in something I guess. Fishing so light I just backed the drag right off and held onto the rod and waited for it to swim away. After a minute or so it took off for deep water again so I repeated the process. It did the exact same thing. Just stopped about 50 metres off the bank and sat there. I wound it in again and it did the exact same thing AGAIN. Just stuck me in behind a big rock or something. No direction I could move could get it around this rock and I thought it was done because I waited for a while for it to swim off again but it didn't. So I did the only thing left, which was to strip off and dive in. I swam the line out to the other side of the snag ... and then it all went awry.

I had forgotten to turn the bail arm. The line rips out of my hands and I turn back towards land to find my rod screaming towards me. I luckily grabbed it. Meanwhile I am treading water and this fish is taking off for open water AGAIN and I am in about 8 feet of water with no idea what to do. I turned the bail arm over and swam the rod back to sure. Climbed out. Turned it back. Checked weight. Nothing there. Wound in a hook.

My deductions. It was a flathead all along, and a big one at that. It was the biggest bream of all time. Or, most likely, a big flathead that inhaled a small bream. What you reckon?

kingcray
21-09-2012, 04:12 PM
unlke a big flatty to just completely stop. Might have been a little bream or something else and got gobbled up by a big cod?

MacDougall
21-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Where it got swallowed would have been only 3 foot of water. There are monster estuary cod in the Clarence but I have never heard of one being caught that far up, especially in 3 foot of water. Not out of the realms of possibility though I suppose. Maybe it was just a huge old bream playing possum with me?

brock13
21-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Id say a cod if i knew the area better. Ive had similar encounters with cod taking me into the rocks. It would have been a crack up to watch. Nevery caught a human in 8ft of water before. Not that long ago i was out chasing snapper and had my rod litterally fly out of a rod holder.

GABBA110360
21-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Great story,
good read on light gear it could have been anything biggish but probably bet on the cod side.
you wouldn't know what's living around those rocks between the ferry and the pub
thanks for sharing you loss
ken

Si
21-09-2012, 07:45 PM
yeah maybe a cod or a big ray or shovelnose

mattooty
22-09-2012, 07:12 PM
My first though is cod as well. We've caught them just west of the Broadwater along those banks, but only small fish to around 2kg in the reeds.
Being Lawrence way, I'm thinking a little bully has most likely done the dirty on you. They've just started showing up in the broad so they'd be all through Lawrence. Come in, grabbed your fish and turned around. But it doesn't explain it stopping dead still....
Maybe you hooked a nice little jew? Again, it stopped....hmm
It's a mystery mate. Get out there and give it another go!

Jeremy
24-09-2012, 07:53 AM
I don't know the area, but I reckon a flathead took a small bream.