PDA

View Full Version : Kids life jackets???

marto78
20-09-2012, 07:03 PM
My young fella is nearly three and loves being in the boat but hates life jackets and has just out grown the one he's got so its time for a new one.

Have looked around BCF and Bias but most places don't have to much variety and the ones they do have are not the most comfortable looking.

Just wondering what others are using on there kids and any recommendations for the most comfortable kids PFD1's available on the market. I don't mind paying the $$$ as long as he doesn't mind wearing it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Jerk n Wined
20-09-2012, 08:00 PM
I would love to know aswell. wet suit material ones would be good.

Thanks

Fishbait
20-09-2012, 09:42 PM
What about an auto inflatable jacket? Nice and slim, and activates in water?

WalrusLike
20-09-2012, 09:51 PM

I dunno about that.... when I was a kid if someone had told me my life jacket (not that I had one...) was going to auto inflate in water, I would have been over the side as quick as a shot. Many kids wouldnt resist trying it out...

cormorant
21-09-2012, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't do inflatables till they are confident swimmers or under direct supervision and in anything like rough conditions and bars back to the foam zip up job as just can't risk no inflation.

I tried to put up the weblink but it comes up as a spam

Just do a search for inflatable rashie . There was a couple of guys doing them.

there are these as well- look up kids inflatable stormy
http://www.stormylifejackets.com.au/childrens-pfds/junior-life-vest/

good for em to try it so they are not surprised and you can reset them as self service still with Stormy I think.

plastimo did em but you needed a gold wallet an then service costs.

on-one
21-09-2012, 05:43 AM
we have hutchwilco jackets for our 1 and 4 year old kids and they're happy to wear them for hours - wouldn't feel comfortable with the inflatables until they're much older

Micadogs
21-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Just fitted our 15 month old with a life jacket. We tried the neoprene PFD type 1 at Bias and it was relatively tight fitting. It was a 10 - 15kg jacket and she is onoy 10.4kg

Went in and tried a few on. The best fitting was the Burke PFD 1. Compared to the others, it didnt have fitted shoulders (hard to explain in words) and this allowed a better fit for our daughter.

She also didnt like having it on too much. To assist we (mum and dad) just sat in the lounge room with yellow life jackets on. Soon enough she saw it was ok to have these on and wanted one on. We built it up slowly, 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then just let her play with it on.

Of course, she still has moments when she doesnt want it on!! I dont think there is any silver bullet. Just make it fun it suppose.

Cheers Adam

Richo1
21-09-2012, 12:21 PM
It's funny how our attitudes change once we have kids: I find myself wearing and thinking about wearing a jacket more now than I ever used to.

My two have gotten used to wearing one now and just accept that it is required when their in the boat. When they complain about it it is usually time for a run on the beach.

I reckon if you take them to the boat shop try a few on and let them pick one they like the best it is a good start to them wanting to wear it in the boat.

marto78
22-09-2012, 07:31 AM

I like this idea but don't know how reliable they are or how sensitive they are. What are the chances of it not going off or of going off if we get a bit of water over the side?

we have hutchwilco jackets for our 1 and 4 year old kids and they're happy to wear them for hours - wouldn't feel comfortable with the inflatables until they're much older

He has a 10-15kg Hutch Wilco at the moment but never really got used to wearing it, I might try him with one of the larger ones now as they are a different design to the hes got.

Just fitted our 15 month old with a life jacket. We tried the neoprene PFD type 1 at Bias and it was relatively tight fitting. It was a 10 - 15kg jacket and she is onoy 10.4kg

Went in and tried a few on. The best fitting was the Burke PFD 1. Compared to the others, it didnt have fitted shoulders (hard to explain in words) and this allowed a better fit for our daughter.

She also didnt like having it on too much. To assist we (mum and dad) just sat in the lounge room with yellow life jackets on. Soon enough she saw it was ok to have these on and wanted one on. We built it up slowly, 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then just let her play with it on.

Of course, she still has moments when she doesnt want it on!! I dont think there is any silver bullet. Just make it fun it suppose.

Cheers Adam

Good advice about wearing it in the lounge room together I will give that a go with the next one we get.

It's funny how our attitudes change once we have kids: I find myself wearing and thinking about wearing a jacket more now than I ever used to.

My two have gotten used to wearing one now and just accept that it is required when their in the boat. When they complain about it it is usually time for a run on the beach.

I reckon if you take them to the boat shop try a few on and let them pick one they like the best it is a good start to them wanting to wear it in the boat.

It has gotten to the point where he won't even try one on in the shop without kicking up a stink. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and buy the best and most comfortable looking one I can find and then see about getting a couple of patches of his favourite cartoon charcters sewn onto it.

Thanks for the replies.

Lancair
22-09-2012, 10:43 AM
My two boys are so used to wearing their lifejackets now, (7 and 6yr olds) they wont step off the pontoon into the boat if they havent got theirs on. Thye do eventually get used to them. Good advice about training in the lounge room and I agree, NO inflatable jackets for my kids until they're much older and are more confident swimmers.
Same with their seatbelts in the car, if I start to move and they havent finished puttting their belts on, they'll let me know, LOUDLY.