PDA

View Full Version : Kids on a boat

Justin Rossiter
20-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Hello fellow fisher people

Since I have 2 kids aged 11 and 5 and a wife that works most weekends, most of my fishing is estuary based with the 2 kids, which is great because it gets them outside rather in front of the TV. I have a list of must take items that go in the boat before we set off. Anyone else out there care to share what they take to keep the kids content ?

1. A proper fitting PFD. Yes for the safety aspect but also because they get antsy if it rubs in the wrong places or is too tight.
2. Food, food and more food. You can never take enough food. Same can be said for drink. Keep the sugar to a minimum or you're asking for trouble
3. A cheap 50 cent bucket lined with a plastic bag a cat litter. My little one doesn't like the sensation of hanging her bum over the side of the boat. The bucket has been a game changer.
4. Their own rod and reel. The little one has a small pink combo and the older one has a couple of different combos depending on the target species.
5. An aerator to convert a small esky into an aquarium, these things are pretty cheap, run on batteries and will keep a few small fish alive for a few hours. The kids then let them go before we head in
6. Spare clothing, hats and sunscreen to solve the "I'm to hot or cold" issue.
7. Toys, the little one brings a small assortment of toys to play with if bored. Make sure these are not too valuable or float !!

Justin

weekendfisher
20-09-2012, 11:37 AM
You have yourself pretty well covered there...
Just remember when you go out you are essentially alone so if something goes wrong you need to be able to handle the situation yourself.
As far as items you are right the best possible pfd you can get (when it comes to the kids thats something I spare no expense on)a few cheap toys plenty of water and snacks another item I found handy when I have my son with me is a toilet, it is worth investing in one of those chemical toilets.

Dicktracey
20-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Teach your Mrs how to start and stop boat ! Very handy to chase a disappearing spool & if you exit while walking the edge for any reason ;)

Cut the front out of your cheap esky and sikaflex a piece of clear perspex in to upgrade your fish tank :)
Dick

Justin Rossiter
20-09-2012, 12:01 PM
That's a top idea Dick

I have a few old Esky's that would fit the bill.

Thanks

Crunchy
20-09-2012, 12:05 PM
I chuck an old futon matress up the front with pillow's and blanky's for the ride home...the kids always have a nice snooze on the often bumpy ride home from Moreton.
Snorkling gear... daugher could snorkel at 4 years old, she loves it

That's a good idea about the temporary aquarium! Will try that one....

I need to get a first aid kit together...cuts bites and stings - there's always lot of crying when that happens, I'm sick of the kids telling me to harden up when I hurt myself

Dicktracey
20-09-2012, 12:09 PM
That's a top idea Dick

I have a few old Esky's that would fit the bill.

Thanks
Justin if things get a bit quiet and the kids are restless grab a #4 bait jig grab a little bit of skin off a pillie and set up on the kids line, you can snip them in half to give the kids 3 sets of hooks each, we have played for hours off the back of channel markers or even at the NW cnr of mud pulling in bait and undersize pinkies.
At $2 a jig its cheap fun
Dick

Fed
20-09-2012, 12:09 PM
A pair of pliers or side cutters more that capable of cutting any size hook.

Justin Rossiter
20-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Have a very well stocked 1st aid kit

Dropped a decent sized flathead on my foot last Summer, as it was thrashing about the dorsal spines went into the top of my foot and broke off. Was by myself at the time and pulling the spines out and stemming the blood was no fun.

J

Richo1
20-09-2012, 01:39 PM
You have got it pretty much covered I'd say - choose a fishing location close to a beach! My two get restless after a while and like to run around- especially little princess who likes to collect shells!84360843618436284363

JEWIENEWIE
20-09-2012, 02:00 PM
All good things to take. I have a 3yr old boy and a 7 year old girl who both love coming out in the boat with me. I have started to educate my 7 yr old girl on how to use the uhf radio and how to use my mobile to make a call in emergencies if i am unable. She is that keen to learn that she watches my every move and asks a truck load of questions all the time. How do i start the boat dad??? What if it wont start??? Where may the problem be.????? arrrrrghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No i really love every minute of it.
Jewie

JB
20-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Yes i find after an hour or two max a good run around on the sand keeps them happy. They do get stir crazy in the boat after a bit. Great advice above.

Justin Rossiter
20-09-2012, 02:23 PM
The 5 yr old loves standing on the ice box and steering when we troll along after Salmon or Flatties. I have 1 specific spot that I take them, only 20 min out of Hobart and they can run up and down the beach, the water is shallow and safe.

J

Justin Rossiter
20-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Good point JB

I reckon 2 hrs as well and they start to get a bit of cabin fever

J

JEWIENEWIE
20-09-2012, 02:38 PM
One thing that amazes me is how the young fella can fall asleep on the way back to the ramp while there is a 30hp mercury 2 stroke screraming its head off..........
Jewie

cormorant
20-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Crotch strap on the kids jackets . You can buy ones to add on if they didn't come with one and thet way they can't slip out of em and you can grab the jacket to pull em onboard. Whistles on their jackets - yes they will give you the craps at first but at least they learn to use it , test each time it goes on, if they go over the back quietly they can attract your attention and if out at night a auto strobe lifejacket light.

Cabins- make sure there is ventilation - we had a young fella pretty ill and wern't ever 100% sure if it was carbon monoxide from the "stationwagon affect", fuel vapours or just heatsroke from enclosed space and hot in the forpeak.

Occupied and learning kids are queit and happy so steering , washing the decks etc etc is all good fun. They have duties on the boat like lookout for other boats, first to see buoy, marker and what colour it is , birds and on shore . They must sit in their spot when we are on the more - same everytime. Mates 6 year old has twice surprised possible snoops, thieves looking at rods while we having a slash, chatting or getting the car.

Spare stop lanyard - We had a mates kid playing with ours and dropped it overboard. Infact he was thinking it was a stream and dropped lots overboard and we never noticed to see it it would sink or float. Gotta love em but luckly he didn't get to our phones and wallets- weeks of finding little things missing and blaming each other. We now carry a spare and the original is on a float. Had to tie a bit of rope around it to get home when we calmed down and though about it - the stop switch not the kid but it was a 50/50 bet for a while..

thermos of hot water and vinegar for stingers etc. They just have to touch everything and are so quick bringing stuff over the side. Donga so nothing living comes on board as a mack is quicker than a 8 year olds or 50 yo foot or they have to go to the cabin and watch from there. . Knives out of reach and not at grab handle height.

Thermos with hot dogs in it - hot meal will shut em up and sometimes they let me have one

We use sawdust in several bags a 10l bucket that has a toilet seat lid - can get em at camping stores and they come on a 20l bucket. . Never thought of cat litter but the smell might do me in. sad to see the cats made into pellets he he.

We have tied a little bit of plastic ribbon near the tip of the kids rods as they are so short and fine tipped , can't see em, just at adult eye height or are easily snapped ( and then there is tears- mine) . Had a bell on em for a while but they somehow fell off and ya can't buy em anymore so the kids think.

Early start Sqiddiing - Mates kids are better than me at it, bait collecting then when done get met at ramp or beach, jetty , have brekky / or dinner ( if overnighting drop them off go for a big fish for the rest of the day/ night and try and convert bait to dinner. They love it short and action packed with moving a few spots and food/ mum at the end.

Crunchy
20-09-2012, 04:29 PM
and the original is on a float.

Thats a good idea! was wondering what I was going to do with the key ring float they gave me at the boat show.

I took the kids out on Sunday....they were asking about squids, where could I try and catch a squid? I have a squid jg in the tackle box but to be honest I've never caught one (Or targeted them for that matter).

Cheers
Crunchy

WalrusLike
20-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Cormorant that was all gold. My kids are grown up nearly, but I will remember because one day maybe grand kids....

Your kids are getting a good start in life.... thanks for sharing an expert dads tips.

Richo1
20-09-2012, 07:28 PM
One thing that amazes me is how the young fella can fall asleep on the way back to the ramp while there is a 30hp mercury 2 stroke screraming its head off..........
Jewie

My boy is the same, heading back to the ramp full noise he sits on my lap tucks his head into my jacket and is asleep in minutes! At 2.5 years old he isn't keen on going too fast or bumpy water. Gets awful cranky at me if I leave him at home though!

Justin Rossiter
20-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Hot Dogs in a thermos. That I like !!!

J

brock13
20-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Waterproof ipad case with a float after the 2 hr 'reasonable behaviour' period. Whack a movie or a game on and away we go for another hour. If not take annual leave and not come home till hungry.

LittleSkipper
20-09-2012, 10:09 PM
All these stories were certainly an interesting & well informed read! Alot of good suggestions!

Feral
21-09-2012, 03:55 AM
beach umbrella to put in to vertical rod holders, can move it around the boat, give them shade, and if you get an adjustable one, works any time of the day.

Justin Rossiter
21-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Thats a great idea Feral 8-)

pipifin
21-09-2012, 12:48 PM
you left out MORE food..... hungry buggers