PDA

View Full Version : 1770 disaster

shy guys
16-09-2012, 05:04 PM
After spending the weekend up at 1770 fell sick yesterday afternoon up all night spewing decided to head home this morning at 4 30 shy guy 2 towing the boat while I got some sleep. Well this is where things went wrong we were cut off by a truck on a overtaking lane just south of torbanlea well let's just say we are lucky to be here the boat trailer left the road and pulled the car down the imbankment where the boat left the trailer and went skidding down the hi way car and trailer also were on two wheels jumped 4 feet in the air we were told by witnesses. I slept through the hole lot. no damage to the car except for a wheel alignment and the boat, trailer and motor complete ride off. All my tackle all over the hi way lures,esky broken rods and to make matters wose as we followed the tow truck to the service station to do paper work we watched the boat catch fire.so I'll let the photos tell a story so please be carefully on your way home fellas also found out my club marine insurence was expired as off the 14th. I never received a renewal notice why would i spend 40k on a boat and not insure it so now the fun begins with club marine they said today they didn't have my address to send a renewal notice out but sent me one for my old boat that I dont own any more this should end well. Just again be carefully on the roads have a good week boys and girls

Vitamin Sea
16-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Mate, sounds/looks terrible, consider yourselves lucky to still be here, boats and stuff can be replaced, you can't.

Hope Club Marine come to the party for you.

Regards

VS

lucee81
16-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Not good at all Harry. Hope all works out with club marine but I probably wouldnt hold my breath as they will call it uninsured.

shy guys
16-09-2012, 05:20 PM
The bloke did call me back and said it was a computer problem from there side so let's just hope all will be ok will keep yous informed tomorrow after the asser goes looks at the boat

Humdinger
16-09-2012, 05:23 PM
bad luck mate . best thing is your still alive . lets hope all ends well with club marine .

outta line
16-09-2012, 05:33 PM
I feel for you buddy.
Just wanted to let you know that I have paid my Club Marine late (on more than one occasion), and it seems that they back-dated my cover to the original expiry date, not the date that I actually paid my fees. I have never had to make a claim in the period that it was expired, but just thought I would let you know...as sometimes it has been a month lee-way, so I assume that it is still insured for that month that I hadn't paid my fees.... mick

TopBhoy
16-09-2012, 05:42 PM
If insurance won't pay out can the truck driver be held liable and sued? Still not a great scenario I know but as has been said, at least you all survived the ordeal.

Chamelion
16-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Geez mate, that's not good at all. I know it's a small consolation after losing your boat, but you're alive and that counts!

I could have come up as bad last weekend. Towing my boat all around the place including 100km/h zones. Get home Monday afternoon to find out my drivers side lower ball joint was about two solid bumps away from letting go completely. Mechanic said he'd never seen a ball joint so worn and so close to complete failure in 10-15 years.

Todddo
16-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Holy hell mate. Atleast you guys are ok.
The truck driver can be held accountable for the damage but you have to find out who it is.

I have a lawyer who did me well on my insurance claim (3rd party but still). If you want his number let me know, I was really happy with the result.
Did you get the guys name that said it was a computer glitch that you didnt get send your renewal? Get him to put that in writing (highly doubt it) but just act dumb to get it.

Chamelion
16-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I hope you were able to ascertain the identity of the driver, or at least the company for whom he works. I guess the problem would be proving that he was the cause of your accident.

I've found club marine to be really good on claims in the past, but I don't know whether they would want to pay up on a 40k boat with the insurance period lapsed, they might fight it even though it appears they may have been the cause of the expiration.

Black_Rat
16-09-2012, 06:05 PM
FARK ME ! :o

Good to see your all in 1 piece.

Boat Hog
16-09-2012, 06:06 PM
That really sucks guys.

I hope things work out for you with the insurance, but most importantly thank goodness no one was hurt.

Patfink
16-09-2012, 06:19 PM
What a nightmare, just shows how things can go horribly wrong in the blink of an eye. Anyway like everyone else.. good to see you all came out unscathed.
Best of luck with the insurance.

Stewey
16-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Holy ship guys. Glad that you are all physically ok. Gut wrenching pics and report. Hope that all works out for the best and insurance does the right thing.

Stewey

Spaniard_King
16-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Glad you have all survived and I hope it all ends well with insurance.

Feral
16-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Did anyone get the number of the truckwit?
If its a company one its likely it has in cab video, which might prove their libel and you can claim on their insurance. Need to get on to it (the coppers) before the driver realises he has been made though.
Mate of mine was run off road by a truckwit and the coppers confiscated in the in cab video, it clearly showed the truck was at fault, and the trucks insurance company paid up.

OODIES
16-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Mate I can only echo the sentiments on everyone else..
Damn lucky to of gotten away without being hurt.
Good Luck with the claim.

BINGO

MyWay
16-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Good to see you have all survived and I hope it all ends well with insurance.

Andy H
16-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Mate I'm so sorry to see your pride and joy like that. I sincerely hope everything works out ok for you. I'm sure insurance companies have some leeway with this type of thing. Glad your all ok.

rosco1974
16-09-2012, 07:05 PM
mate glad you fellas are ok,as for the boat you can always get another...hope it all works out for ya mate
cheers rosco

Dantren
16-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Glad to hear no one was hurt. I hope your insurance comes to the party. Dan.

Scott Ashe
16-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Mate, at least your still here to be able to tell your story, and I really hope your insurance works out for you to replace boat and gear.
Cheers

jtpython
16-09-2012, 07:24 PM
My heart goes out to u mate i'd still have tears if it was mine .
JT

marvin
16-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Don't keep asking WHY? Just keep saying THANK YOU!. Best wishes Guys for the times ahead, Glad you could put up this post and not your next of kin having to do it... When it's all washed up you are still here with mates, family and loved ones who will support you now and in the future as you may have nightmares of this for the rest of your life. You don't get much more than that as a close call, your time was not up thankfully, if you want a fishing trip until you get things all sorted, call into Bundy and I'll take you out. Kind regards Kev.

IcyDuck
16-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Wow ... those pictures do tell a story. All very lucky indeed that there were no injuries. Glad to hear everyone is safe.

I'd like to think that Club Marine would come to the party for a customer for the sake of a few days.

Regards,
Phil

Humdinger
16-09-2012, 07:49 PM
i suppose on the bright side of all this
i have got a deckie now

shy guys
16-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Bret I think you have 2 for now

nigelr
16-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Feeling truly ill for you; as you know I like that boat a lot...... Most importantly, thankful you are all still be here for your loved ones.......
Club Marine.....to the rescue!
Best wishes.

Humdinger
16-09-2012, 07:54 PM
no worries i'll need shaun to bait my new reel
will i get you an electric reel too ;D
could change name to the lazy guys then:oops::stupid:

Jarrah Jack
16-09-2012, 07:58 PM
That's no good at all mate. An exciting weekend to end like that. I really feel for you's and hope that the insurance comes good. As everyone has said it could easily have been so much worse. F...ing cowboy drivers.

I was looking forward to taking you up on that days fishing when I'm up next year but I'll be looking for a deckie myself anyway by the looks so you never know.

Goodoo haven
16-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Gee, its a bit of bad luck there. Main thing no body was hurt or killed.

And now hopefully your insurance company will see through the light and grant you insurance.

MackerelMan
16-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I feel for ya Mate. Scary how quickly things can go arse up. Glad nobody got hurt.

burleygu
16-09-2012, 08:05 PM
thank christ no one was hurt! its a shame but at the end of the day material items can be replaced peoples well being cannot! keep in the right frame of mind and approach everything with a positive attitude and hopefully things will all unfold as they should!

timddo
16-09-2012, 08:05 PM
There is usually a grace period of 28 days. Hopefully it all works well.

XtremeBoony
16-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Hey fellas, what a tragedy, hope the insurance goes well for ya's. We are all thinking of ya's and great to see no one seriously injured.

Cheers from boony

fisho8
16-09-2012, 08:38 PM
First of all fellas good to see everyone is alright and the only caualty was the boat which must hurt the most. Second of all as far as the insurance goes you have 7 days after the renewal date to bring the policy up to date they may ask you for the premium up front and the Excess before they process the claim I would grab a PDS and have a look at the terms and conditions when you are ready. There are avenues you can take if the insurer wants to play games. I am an assessor for an insurer and if you need any advice PM me and I will be happy to help if needed. As seen this forum is a pretty powerful tool to send a message to business but let us hope that is the last resort and it does not come to that. I am sure you will be ok as far as that side of things go and you get back on the water sooner rather than later main things is you lived to tell the tale.:(

J2DAG83
16-09-2012, 08:42 PM
I was just thinking this weekend about that stretch of road.. This all quite weird really, out of 7 trips to stanage bay and a couple to 1770 towing my big boat i have had 3 very near misses from fkn truck drivers on that exact stretch of road.. Everytime between maryborough and south of gladstone.

The last time was about 1am on a friday morning when a truck decided right at the end of an overtaking lane it would overtake end result was a triton with 2.5 tonne of boat behind it running off the road 100km/hr.... It was absolute sheer luck there was dirt there and not a ledge of sorts or as happend to you straight into a ditch.

Myself and my 2 mates did not speak a word for about 10 mins.... I can not think of time in my life i was as angry as i was at that point, had we seen that truck at a stop i would dearly hate to know how that would of ended...

It still scares / angers me that much that like i said this weekend 12 months after it happend i was thinkn bout how much of a cok sucka this bloke is... For mine he was tryn to kill us that simple..

Other examples on same stretch of road different trips are getting cut off, a truck in front of us and another one that close i could not see the headlights behind my boat etc etc.. These blokes are fukn cowboys and i truely hope they get whats coming and no other innocent driver is involved.

Anyway your an extremely lucky bloke... I guess if nothing else between what happend to you and my stories people might now be aware of the truckies driving that stretch of road and be more aware when their approaching..

Oh and all my dramas have happend at night..

Sorry to see ya boat like that mate and hopefully it all comes togethr for ya.

Jared

cuzzamundi
16-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Bloody hell. Shitty situation to be in, mate. Like has been said, could've been a whole lot shittier - glad you're all unscathed. Hopefully the insurance will be sorted.

Cuzza

royslaven
16-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I think that you were " The shy guys" now that has been changed to "THE LUCKY GUYS "
Hope all ends well guys, least you are here talking about it, cheers , roy

WalrusLike
16-09-2012, 09:55 PM
So sad to see your boat end up like that.

Club Marine will surely come to the party and you will be smiling again soon. Madness if they did otherwise.

You and I share at least two things.... a love of the water, and the ability to sleep through the apocalypse. :)

Hang in there, chin up.... we are all glad you made it through.

barra71
16-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Oh man that realy sucks big time, when i saw the pic's my jaw droped. Glad you are all ok and safe, i just hope it all works out for you mate..

did anyone get a look at the truck to see who it was at all, prob still dark at the time it happened....
The truck driver prob was off his face on pills, shame the cops didnt catch him, and he would have know he run you off the road too what a ass---- thing to do to someone...

murf
16-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Feeling for you shy guys :(
Hope all works out ok

Cheers Murf

Fed
17-09-2012, 10:48 AM
I can't get my head around those pictures did the boat go over the car then do a 180 degree spin?
Broken strap and winch cable it really makes you think, I know my own strap looks pretty scrawny at 25mm but it's supposed to be OK for the job it's doing.
Hope everything works out good for you I once put a new Fairlane on the bottom of the Georges River (don't ask) and it all worked out even though it was just out of insurance.

SunnyCoastMark
17-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Would break my heart to see my boat on the road side like that, so glad you are all OK though. Truck drivers are like footy referees - they need to be accountable, but trying to make that happen is nigh on impossible.........

In the interests of trying to get something positive out of this - is there anything else that you think you could have done to have kept the boat on the trailer?

Hindsight is always a wonderful thing and if we can share with others some of that hindsight - we will all be a little smarter.

Gee that sounds good - maybe I'll have to put it in a book!;D;D

May wife had a little bingle in the car a few months back, but when we called Alliance they told her the policy had lapsed the previous month. We hadn't recieved a renewal notice and they investigated. Took them 2 weks - but they agreed to the claim.

I had already found a new front guard at the wreckers - same colour for $120 - so fixed it myself - but was good to know they would still come to the party.

mark

The-easyrider
17-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Mate thanks for posting this, my heart goes out to you I truly hope it all goes well in the insurance side of things. I am about to embark on a big tow to airlie beach, think I am going to invest in one of those cameras that record everything on a continues loop. Won't stop the dic heads but will make easy to explained things to the insurance /cops

ovakil
17-09-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm glad you are ok.Did the truck stop after accident?
I would think club marine would be chasing truck driver & his insurance.
I absolutely hate most of those truck drivers,my mother was killed when a truck started to overtake parents & hit the back of caravan & jacked knifed them.
If I didn't have a family he would of gone missing.

tunaticer
17-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Lucky fellas there for sure.
Keep your comments offline and persue the insurance and legal channels to get your rig replaced. The less you say online the cleaner your claim will be. Good luck.

FisHard
17-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Ok, that's enough truckie bashing guys!
I'm a truck driver, been on the Pacific Hwy for 20 years. There is a very small percentage of truck drivers that are cowboys now. But the number of uncourteous drivers towing caravans/boats/box trailers is staggering. I couldn't tell you how many times per trip that I follow vehicles doing 80-90kph in the single lane that all of a sudden go to warp speed on overtaking lanes. Its incredibly frustrating! And it happens ALL THE TIME.
The reason trucks have started using thge video cams is cover our own butts.
I feel for Shy guys as much as you all, and I'm not commenting on what happened (because I wasn't there) but lay off truckies, because those in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones :)

WalrusLike
17-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Good point Fishard. It is true that some truckies are doped with various products to keep going illegally. It's also true that a tight economy tends to increase that cowboy factor.

Having said that, most truckies are hardworking decent folk that have loved ones they would like to come home to after the trip. I've known a few and the things that happen TO them would fill volumes.

The truckie that caused this is a menace and should be prosecuted. That does not mean all truckies are bad though.

Hope you get a good final result SG.

shy guys
17-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm a truck driver, been on the Pacific Hwy for 20 years. There is a very small percentage of truck drivers that are cowboys now. But the number of uncourteous drivers towing caravans/boats/box trailers is staggering. I couldn't tell you how many times per trip that I follow vehicles doing 80-90kph in the single lane that all of a sudden go to warp speed on overtaking lanes. Its incredibly frustrating! And it happens ALL THE TIME.
I feel for Shy guys as much as you all, and I'm not commenting on what happened (because I wasn't there) but lay off truckies, because those in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones :)
Mate I'm a truck driver as well I often drive up to rocky and hervey bay and so on there is still a lot of cowboys out there on the roads my truck is limited but a lot out there are not and I know all about the boat, camper, caravan holiday sight seeing worriers out there that speed up on overtaking lanes

Mrs Ronnie H
17-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi
I have been to this post a couple of times. Thinking of what to say.

You must feel like crap seeing your boat like that. Know I would if it were mine. Take comfort in being able to tell the story. Things could of been alot worse. A boat and gear is replaceable and am sure your insurance company will do the right thing by you.

And no point bagging anyone as i see it-- I know its a crap thing when things go wrong but you can't blame all for ones mistake.

good luck and hope all pans out.

Ronnie

Humdinger
17-09-2012, 07:04 PM
you will find most of the trucks arn't speeding . with the limiter you can put your foot flat to the floor and hold a hundred k's all day . try it in your car over long distance and be honest to yourself . your speed in a hundred k zone will range from 75 to 120 kph over a long stretch .
i was an interstate truckie for a long time and have realy got fed up with this truckie bashing bullshit .
the shy guys are very good friends of mine
but i wasnt there to make the comment that a few of you guys have

Jarrah Jack
17-09-2012, 07:35 PM
I don't think anyone is complaining about all truckies, only the cowboy element. I complained about all cowboy drivers. The ones with the big trucks can do a lot more damage and give the industry a bad name, a bit like the thoughtless people towing described.

J2DAG83
17-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I dont think at any point i said all truck drivers but if it comes across that way i apologise.... The blokes i had dealings with knew exactly what they were doing.
Like any profession you come across there there'll be wankas and there'll be decent blokes, just a shame these wankas are driving bits of gear capable of wiping out whole families.

Anyway just wanted to apologise to all the decent blokes who this does not apply.

Cheers

Jared

bigjudge
17-09-2012, 08:10 PM
shy guys, if you know your insurance is up to date, dont lay down fight to the end ,how many years have you payed never to use it. i say pull them on, also on a positive side everyone is ok thats the best side of the whole thing.i hope it all works out for you.
CHEERS AND BEERS

Captain Seaweed
17-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Wow makes you realize how quick it can happen , you blokes are young and have and have quick response time. It is a shame this has happened, I have driven trucks but am not a full time truckie, could it have been a mis judgement? Either way I have never overtaken someone and NOT looked in the mirror to see I have executed it without an incident? Right? Lucky the way things have panned out. I have just towed a van around Australia and am very conscious about other trucks and I can confidently tow at 100km. The fact is that in my opinion the conditions of our roads are shite and if a truck merges early and you need to use the shoulder you can't because most times it is short and or there is a drop into it.
Happy you survived gents. I am about to start towing a 4 t boat around and dred the run to 1770.

Marty

TREVELLY
18-09-2012, 05:39 AM
Shy guys - first of all mates - good to hear you are not harmed. :)

Material possessions are replaceable - i do wish you well with that side of things.

I nearly lost my boat when it was only one week old between 1770 and home - vibration undone turnbuckle and boat snapped winch strap and shackle chain was only thing holding it and this had become twisted and cracked badly. With recent boat fix up I have added to transom two great lugs for securing boat at rear. I fixed up inadequacies at front too for securing with rated chain shackle, boat hitch, turnbuckle locknut. I did get one of those big truckie straps to put over the back of the boat for long hauls too - which I used till recent transom repairs.

Not saying yours was slack by any means but it seems we can never be too careful in securing boat to trailer especially on long hauls.

Hope you are back fishing soon and giving each other cheek - always entertaining ;).

Reefmaster
18-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Sorry hear this has happened. Such a terrible experience to go through and everyone's worst nightmere.

Glad no one was hurt but I'm sure you would be devastated about the pride and joy being damaged. I hope the insurance comes through for you soon and this bad experience can be put behind you.

Regards
Greg

shy guys
19-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Hey everyone a lot happier today insurence is covering me club marine they have admitted a computer fault from there end so I put my hand out to club marine so now the long wait till they asses the damage and let me know if it is repairable or I'll be looking for a new boat just a reminder to everyone when renewing insurence got to remember to adjust cover when new items are added and to make sure the cover is enough to cover everything in boat I'm under insured and out of pocket 10k if they write the boat off but at the end of the day at least it's not 50k out of pocket thanks for all the replys and will let yous know what happens with the boat

fisho8
19-09-2012, 07:06 PM
That is great to hear mate let us hope you get a good outcome. Keep us posted on the progress of your claim and well done Club Marine for admitting their mistake.:)

OODIES
19-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Was thinking Of changing over to Club Marine and you may of just helped me too.
Good advice too mate, make sure you are fully covered guys.

Cheers BINGO

Chamelion
19-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Just signed up with club marine again now I've got another boat.. Last time I was with them I had to claim twice and they came to the party both times. I don't think I'll even bother shopping around before the grace period expires.

honda900
19-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Shy Guys,

Mate really sorry to hear about the accident.. nice to hear all are well and insurance is coming to the party..

Regards
Honda.

Stansy
19-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Hey Shy Guys
Just heard today about your accident, glad you are all okay and now insurance is covering your claim. Hope all goes well for you.
Mark

SunnyCoastMark
19-09-2012, 10:43 PM
kudos to club marine - well done

TREVELLY
20-09-2012, 05:27 AM
Well guys all things considered - you stood to lose $50k and also risked your lives so $10k down and safe and well - it seems fair to say as ugly as it all seemed, and really could have gone, you got off lightly.

As with the boat being underinsured due to improvements you have made - increasing it's value - is there any reason why you can not remove the items as they are yours and not covered by insurance anyway - assuming we are talking about add ons that are of value and use in a replacement boat and also assuming this one is a right-off?

gav73
21-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Good to hear Club Marine is coming to the party for you Shy guys , I have a mate going through a insurance claim at the moment(Club Marine) and I think everyone should have a close look at there policys.
Hope all goes smooth and your back on the water soon.
Cheers Gav

kizza1
21-09-2012, 11:02 AM
you should have the options of first dibs on buying it back so that might be an option to recoup the balance.

TREVELLY
21-09-2012, 11:47 AM
you should have the options of first dibs on buying it back so that might be an option to recoup the balance.

Has merit guys if you love the boat - new trailer $6k + new motor $20k + hull repairs $10k - you get boat back better than ever

ozynorts
21-09-2012, 12:43 PM
I just re read the initial post by the boys and they say that it caught fire!!! Not sure there will be much to salvage??? I guess it depends on what was burnt and how much of the boat was on fire but would have to assume that a hull that has been on fire would be a risk to put back on the water.
Hope everything goes well with the insurance and you are on the water again soon.

Zippidy
21-09-2012, 03:29 PM
You'll be able to keep the salvage if you want and the salvage value will come off the payout of the claim.

Generally the salvage is fk all, so it could very well be worth it if you have extras in there you still want.

Ideas
21-09-2012, 07:05 PM
hey guys glad yous ok very lucky catch up soon

madmackrel
21-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Harry good to hear you guys are ok,good to see you blokes at 1770 and if you need to fish while waiting for the new boat just call mate

netmaker
21-09-2012, 10:32 PM
maaaate. if you weren't so soft and just drank more piss you would have beaten that dysentry bug and none of this shit would have happened. hope you can do better next year:P

TheRealAndy
21-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Hey everyone a lot happier today insurence is covering me club marine they have admitted a computer fault from there end so I put my hand out to club marine so now the long wait till they asses the damage and let me know if it is repairable or I'll be looking for a new boat just a reminder to everyone when renewing insurence got to remember to adjust cover when new items are added and to make sure the cover is enough to cover everything in boat I'm under insured and out of pocket 10k if they write the boat off but at the end of the day at least it's not 50k out of pocket thanks for all the replys and will let yous know what happens with the boat

Just read this thread as I look at my Club Marine Insurance policy that is due tomorrow! I was going to do the ring around but think I might just pay up now!

shy guys
22-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Has merit guys if you love the boat - new trailer $6k + new motor $20k + hull repairs $10k - you get boat back better than ever

Yer mate this would be the best option I'm hoping insurence will say its repairable a lot less hassle and time wasted looking at new boats there are quite a few good ones for sale at the moment

TREVELLY
23-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Yer mate this would be the best option I'm hoping insurence will say its repairable a lot less hassle and time wasted looking at new boats there are quite a few good ones for sale at the moment

Guys if it is fixable and you are interested - just send me a PM and I will give you name and number of the guy fixing mine - really good and recommended and not only by me.

I am not being secret squirrel - just not interested in appearing to be throwing in a advert when it may not be welcome.

I will post up all about him soon on my thread about my boat repairs anyway.

Cheers, beers and good luck guys

EdBerg
23-09-2012, 10:23 PM

A lot of truck drivers are OK but not all, I just came back a few days ago towing my 8mt 3.5t boat from Rosslyn Bay to home at Ningi, and going up the mountain range heading towards Gin Gin there were about 4 times I had to hit the brakes in the left hand lane as I saw a semi in my side mirror in the overtaking lane still trying to beat me up a hill when I was indicating that I was moving back as I was running out of the left lane rapidly and into the single lane, I averaged about 80-90Km going up the hills and about 90-100km/hr on the flats so I didn't slow down the traffic too much, but they still wanted to get in front at all costs. If I hadn't braked to let them pass they would have run straight into the boat taking us and themselves out at the same time.

So not happy, and it is that small percentage of trucks that add to and cause the statistics. I am sure that there are also a lot of accidents caused by the other inconsiderate drivers towing things but I didn't see any on my trip, so can only comment first hand only on the truck drivers.

Ed.

netmaker
24-09-2012, 07:32 AM
i reckon it makes a wonderful argument for making the LEFT lane the overtaking one. at least that way those rude bastards who want to overtake at all costs are the ones closest to going off instead of the bloke doing the right thing.

thelump
24-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Glad to hear everything is working out Harry. I too have had the same thing happen returning from 1770 a couple of years back although I remained upright. The thing that amazes me is the amount of trucks that must NOT be limited. I can cruise on 100kph easily with my boat in tow and have had trucks overtake me many times. Even travelling on the M1 from Brisbane to Goldy sitting on 110 in cruise control and they still overtake??? Maybe the limiters are easy to over ride?

TREVELLY
24-09-2012, 08:47 AM
i reckon it makes a wonderful argument for making the LEFT lane the overtaking one. at least that way those rude bastards who want to overtake at all costs are the ones closest to going off instead of the bloke doing the right thing.

If only you were right netmaker - but I know a girl who was overtaken by a young aggressive guy in the LH lane and when he cut in on her and hit the front of her car she was shunted into oncoming traffic - terrible mess including full face reconstruction - so no way to make LH lane overtaking.

Dean1
24-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Bloody hell makes my 'bad' trips to 1770 seem like nothing after seeing this! Glad Insurance come to the party, 10k is nothing when you think of what could have happened. I have to say every time a truck passes me i cringe coz things can go wrong very quickly. Hopefully this Truckie has had a shakeup and learns from this! Cheers..

FisHard
24-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Thank you to everyone who has spoken up in defence of the hard working truckies!
Just another couple of comments regarding overtaking lanes.
My truck is well powered and speed limited to 100kph (gps measured). I get overtaken by a truck (who's either removed or tampered with, their speed limiter) about once or twice per month. Considering I do 15-20 000 klms per month, I reckon the cowboy element must be a small percentage of truck drivers.
In the case of the truck trying to overtake on dual lanes, I'm not sure of what the obsession with staying in front of the truck is? If the truck has the speed to be behind you, why not back off for 30 seconds on the overtaking lane and let the "cowboys" go??? Surely that's got to be prefferable to being "run off the road"?? When I'm towing my boat, I have a handheld UHF radio that I use to call up trucks that come up behind me (I tow the boat at abot 90kph). I let them know that I will back off at the next overtaking lane and let them go. Easy, safe and completely stress free. Isn't that what taking our boats out fishing supposed to be about?

Humdinger
24-09-2012, 04:46 PM
thanks fishard . i got out of interstate in 07 . went for a drive over xmas this year and i can vouch for how much the industry has changed .
am not rely impressed with the changes (i think the late night driving got more dangerous ) but thats just my opinion . no one talks to anyone .
i actually miss the guys off tap jibbering on the radio all night .
but thats just my opinion

netmaker
24-09-2012, 04:52 PM
fishard. i dont think blokes here are anti-truckie. most of us have mates who drive for a living. i dont think there are more a-hole truck drivers statistically than regular drivers either but they can scare the crap out of ya just through sheer size and weight. last year i drove to townsville and back and the best part of my journey was sticking behind a truckie who used his indicators regularly to let me know where the potholes were. i very much appreciated his courtesy as my night vision is less than perfect and it was an awful lot easier following his lights than trying to find my own way. will also add that i felt a lot safer on the highway when speed and shakers were the go. much less chance of an overworked driver falling asleep then. unfortunately a few professional drivers become a bit complacent over time. when was the last time anyone saw a cabbie use an indicator?

netmaker
24-09-2012, 05:23 PM
should have added: a cab ride home last year scared the crap outta me and i was pissed as. drove like a race driver regularly 20k's over the limit, last minute hard braking and rapid acceleration. would have felt safer driving myself...

EdBerg
24-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Thank you to everyone who has spoken up in defence of the hard working truckies!
In the case of the truck trying to overtake on dual lanes, I'm not sure of what the obsession with staying in front of the truck is? If the truck has the speed to be behind you, why not back off for 30 seconds on the overtaking lane and let the "cowboys" go??? ?

With me it wasn't an obsession to stay in front of any truck, I pulled over to the left lane to let the other faster vehicles overtake, cars, 4WD's or trucks or whateverver but sooner or later, your lane merges with the outside lane and you have don't have a choice and you have to go back to a single lane as you don't have any where else to go, yet these truckers kept on trying to get in front of me when I was indicating that I was merging back as I was running out of room. They should have known better and backed off till the next overtaking lane came up but they kept accellerating. In my view these are not "cowboys" just bloody dangerous and inconsiderate a...holes.

TheRealAndy
24-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Ride a motorcycle, and you learn to trust no one. I can second guess 99% of driver behavior on the road now, and for the 1% I cant I just stay away. I have also driven trucks before (not HR though) and you get used to idiots on the road. Does not exempt all truck drivers though, I have seen some morons out there.

BTW, its not illegal to overtake on the left in Queensland (provided there is two lanes).

fat-buoy
25-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I agree with letting the cowboy truckies go by... (that is extended to all the tossers on the road whether they are in a B double or a Nissan Micra) My way of thinking is that if they are in front of me it is then up to me to avoid them when they crash.. I am comfortable with my driving skills so would rather that option thank you very much.

The downside of letting the truckie go flying by is the next hill where they have slowed down to 40kph you are often stuck behind them.

Back to the boat .. that is a sad sight to see.. Hope all ends up a distant memory and a good story over a few beers with mates. Good to see everyone is out unhurt... and if the ball joint on the car was nearing letting go it could well have been a saving grace that stopped you from skidding off somewhere else and coming out much worse off.

PADDLES
25-09-2012, 10:37 AM
we've recently done the return trip to ayer's rock from beachmere towing the van and yeah, probably 80% of the truckies are very professional, the other 20% however were downright dangerous. the situation that edberg describes earlier happened to us so many times where a truck would use us as his wind break in the left lane of an overtaking zone to pick up speed, only to swing out and pass on the right at the merge to cut us off. the other dangerous manouvre was guys with very wide loads (ie. haultruck chassis that takes up 1.5 lanes none of these poxy town loads) going warp factor head on to us on krap roads with soft verges into spoon drains, you can't pull over because you'd just roll your car, but these snapper heads just ploughed ahead regardless doing 80 or so, all with a police escort too i might add, this is standard procedure in mining country ........... recklessness. again there's some ultra professional truckies out there, but there's also some total cowboys in the industry dragging these good guys down and this is reflected in the safety stats for the state, accidents involving heavy vehicles are up big time.

Humdinger
25-09-2012, 05:44 PM
sorry fellas but i don't think harry started this thread to bag truckies . if you want to carry on about us you probly should start a new thread .
sorry just sick of this bullshit .

Humdinger
25-09-2012, 05:47 PM
we've recently done the return trip to ayer's rock from beachmere towing the van and yeah, probably 80% of the truckies are very professional, the other 20% however were downright dangerous. the situation that edberg describes earlier happened to us so many times where a truck would use us as his wind break in the left lane of an overtaking zone to pick up speed, only to swing out and pass on the right at the merge to cut us off. the other dangerous manouvre was guys with very wide loads (ie. haultruck chassis that takes up 1.5 lanes none of these poxy town loads) going warp factor head on to us on krap roads with soft verges into spoon drains, you can't pull over because you'd just roll your car, but these snapper heads just ploughed ahead regardless doing 80 or so, all with a police escort too i might add, this is standard procedure in mining country ........... recklessness. again there's some ultra professional truckies out there, but there's also some total cowboys in the industry dragging these good guys down and this is reflected in the safety stats for the state, accidents involving heavy vehicles are up big time.

sorry mate but if you see a police escort that means the truck has right of way and get out of the road . they are doing there job

The-easyrider
25-09-2012, 06:04 PM
We just towed the boat from bris to Airlie and had no issues with trucks at all, did have a bunch of back packers in a wicked van pull out of a rest area in front of me then sat on 85 till I went to pass him then he speed up till I was sitting on 115 beside him. Then there was the old fart who did a u turn with his caravan right in front of made me glad I had the brakes serviced befor I left as I used every bit of them to avoid going through his van. And another old ###### that pulled out in front of me causing me to grab all the brakes then he sat on 85 till he got his next turn off. I did get caught in a traffic jam due to an accident and I was left on a blind corner with nowhere to go knowing there was a truck going to come around that corner in the next 30 sec, made me glad I got a new ariel for the UHF.

Black_Rat
13-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Mate I dam near whitnessed a replay of your accident not once but twice today due to D.H. truckies ! The 2nd time I was also run off the road, I saw 4 different truckies today at there worst ! And before anyone gets on there high horse and says all truckies aren't the same, yes I agree however of the 4 truckies travelling in my direction today all were pricks that endangered a lot of lives today and for what ????? :furious:

I was driving a fully loaded rented Pantech style removal van with my old man north today with pretty much no dramas untill just south of Gladestone turn off when things got crazy !

I had been following a ute towing a white Allycraft with a 60HP Mariner on the back for a while about 30 klms south of the Gladestone turn off.

DH truckie #1 loomed up in the side mirrors about 15klms south of the turnoff when he attempted to overtake me on an over taking lane, no dramas only issue was he cam back from several hundred meters. I was doing 100ks and he was closing fast ! anyway he was never going to make it so I had to merg back in. Well DH #1 truckie took affence and sat 2 inches of the back of the van until the next ovetaking lane PRICK ! >:(

No dramas he'll have his turn on the next one and to make it easy so I back off so he could do it easily which he did. The ute and ally craft were at least 100m in front of me and he tried to take them as well but again not goining to happen so old mate indicates and starts merging. DH#1 brakes for a second then swerves halfway into the oncomming traffic lane across double lines, WTF !!! Oldmate allycraft had no choice but to run onto the side of the road for about 200m untill DH#1 got around him. Thank F^*(*^ no one was comming the other way and there was room to run that wide for that long! The old man and I I just shook my head.

Then comes along DH#2 & DH#3 truckie, both B doubles ! Just past the Gladestone turn-off heading north there is an overtakinbg lane that runs up a long steep hill. Both oldmate Ally craft and I are struggling doing 70 - 80klms with a few cars going around us, all good. That's when I see DH#2 as well as DH#3 up his clacker, FLYING and I mean flying and how up that hill I have no idea, up the outside. Both Alycraft and I had to merge as the lane was closing fast ! Nope both truckies kept roaring ! There was also oncomming traffic and again this time both Ally craft and me had no choice and are hitting the anchors hard as these DH's forced us off the road AGAIN !!!! I could count the scrathces on oldmate Allycrafts Mariner cowel we we're that close !

Well the expletives I let out had the old mad red faced, I was ready to kill these pricks ! The complete lack of respect shown by those 3 truckies today for anyones safety on that road was an absolute discrace !

Then DH #4 looms up in the side mirrors, all good we are in an 80 zone for road works no line marking at all ! and about 3 lanes wide, sweet all safe nothing doing here. Old mate allycraft and I were over to the left along with another car doing 80. "He's not !?" I say as I look at the side mirror I see DH#4 over to the far right overtaking 3 of us :o After what seemed like an eternity he was around us with only one car comming in the opposite direction being run of the road !

Then about 30 klms south of Rocky and about 20mins later I see DH#2 & DH#4 parked up at the Raglan Tavern ! Lets just say there emlployer is going to get a detailed report on there actions today come monday morning there company was plastered all over the truck covers ;D

I can't wait for the drive north to Mackay tommorow !

Homebrewpig
14-10-2012, 06:52 AM
If insurance won't pay out can the truck driver be held liable and sued? Still not a great scenario I know but as has been said, at least you all survived the ordeal.

Their may be a good point here.

Apollo
15-10-2012, 07:07 AM
I agree there a re dangerous buggers driving all sorts of vehicles out there and truckies should not be the considered the only source of DHs. I guess the biggests issue with DHs in truck though, is that ecause of their size verse a car, their impact is much greater and the ramifications such as what happen to the shy guys and my family nearly getting killed by one a few weeks ago are much greater. It is a bit like the potential damage done by a large cruiser v a small tinnie.

MEG-A-BITE
15-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Got to get one of them cameras, record the incidents and then get the law to sort out the offenders.

Johnm
17-10-2012, 12:06 AM
I had been following a ute towing a white Allycraft with a 60HP Mariner on the back for a while about 30 klms south of the Gladestone turn off.

DH truckie #1 loomed up in the side mirrors about 15klms south of the turnoff when he attempted to overtake me on an over taking lane, no dramas only issue was he cam back from several hundred meters. I was doing 100ks and he was closing fast ! anyway he was never going to make it so I had to merg back in. Well DH #1 truckie took affence and sat 2 inches of the back of the van until the next ovetaking lane PRICK ! >:(

The overtaking lane in question has a heavy white line at the northern end this line means give way. You cut him off.

No dramas he'll have his turn on the next one and to make it easy so I back off so he could do it easily which he did. The ute and ally craft were at least 100m in front of me and he tried to take them as well but again not goining to happen so old mate indicates and starts merging. DH#1 brakes for a second then swerves halfway into the oncomming traffic lane across double lines, WTF !!! Oldmate allycraft had no choice but to run onto the side of the road for about 200m untill DH#1 got around him. Thank F^*(*^ no one was comming the other way and there was room to run that wide for that long! The old man and I I just shook my head.

Again it has give way at the end and the truck was cut off.

Then comes along DH#2 & DH#3 truckie, both B doubles ! Just past the Gladestone turn-off heading north there is an overtakinbg lane that runs up a long steep hill. Both oldmate Ally craft and I are struggling doing 70 - 80klms with a few cars going around us, all good. That's when I see DH#2 as well as DH#3 up his clacker, FLYING and I mean flying and how up that hill I have no idea, up the outside. Both Alycraft and I had to merge as the lane was closing fast ! Nope both truckies kept roaring ! There was also oncomming traffic and again this time both Ally craft and me had no choice and are hitting the anchors hard as these DH's forced us off the road AGAIN !!!! I could count the scrathces on oldmate Allycrafts Mariner cowel we we're that close !

Not saying that the truck drivers were in the right but at the end of the overtaking lane is marked as give way again you have admitted to not giving way when the law requires. By being able to count the scratches you were far too close.

Well the expletives I let out had the old mad red faced, I was ready to kill these pricks ! The complete lack of respect shown by those 3 truckies today for anyones safety on that road was an absolute discrace !

You have shown a very common lack of knowledge of traffic law as it relates to merging at the end of overtaking lanes. Where there is a heavy line at the end of the overtaking lane it is the same as agve way.

Then DH #4 looms up in the side mirrors, all good we are in an 80 zone for road works no line marking at all ! and about 3 lanes wide, sweet all safe nothing doing here. Old mate allycraft and I were over to the left along with another car doing 80. "He's not !?" I say as I look at the side mirror I see DH#4 over to the far right overtaking 3 of us :o After what seemed like an eternity he was around us with only one car comming in the opposite direction being run of the road !

Common with not only truck drivers but also car drivers.

Then about 30 klms south of Rocky and about 20mins later I see DH#2 & DH#4 parked up at the Raglan Tavern ! Lets just say there emlployer is going to get a detailed report on there actions today come monday morning there company was plastered all over the truck covers ;D

Raglan Tavern is a popular meal stop.
When you do your detailed report make sure that you include all the instances of failure to give way you have written here.
No I am not a truck driver just one of the silly paramedics who work this stretch road and pick up the pieces after traffic crashes.
Truck drivers are by no means perfect and in some cases seem to be getting worst I was nearly cleaned up by a truck driver recently. An ambulance with all its reflective is hardly invisible.

trymyluck
17-10-2012, 04:51 AM
The overtaking lane in question has a heavy white line at the northern end this line means give way. You cut him off.

Again it has give way at the end and the truck was cut off.

Not saying that the truck drivers were in the right but at the end of the overtaking lane is marked as give way again you have admitted to not giving way when the law requires. By being able to count the scratches you were far too close.

You have shown a very common lack of knowledge of traffic law as it relates to merging at the end of overtaking lanes. Where there is a heavy line at the end of the overtaking lane it is the same as agve way.

Common with not only truck drivers but also car drivers.

Raglan Tavern is a popular meal stop.
When you do your detailed report make sure that you include all the instances of failure to give way you have written here.
No I am not a truck driver just one of the silly paramedics who work this stretch road and pick up the pieces after traffic crashes.
Truck drivers are by no means perfect and in some cases seem to be getting worst I was nearly cleaned up by a truck driver recently. An ambulance with all its reflective is hardly invisible.

Regardless of who has right of way, everyone has an obligation to drive in a manner that is safe and does not put other drivers at risk. I drive on the Bruce hyw every day, I live pretty well beside it below the Gunalda range and regularly see truck drivers that are respectful of other road users but unfortunately not as often as the dangerous ones.

WalrusLike
17-10-2012, 05:49 AM
It seems to me that the person on the left should have right of way if we were being sensible when we made the rules.

Say the truck in the right hand lane makes a mistake estimating his ability to overtake in time before the left lane runs out... Now if he slows down a bit the other vehicle merges in and they both are at 90 k and all ok.

On the other hand if the left lane has to give way then that slow vehicle will have to slow down to slot in behind the truck. No problem there except for the following traffic is at higher speed and he can no longer merge. Comes to a quick halt and is left in a terrible position.

The vehicle on the right has easier and safer options to slow down. I don't know the law but the bloke with the better options should allow the merge.

Does the law disagree?

John I should add that I feel for you having to do that very difficult and demanding job.... but regardless of the actual law if the left lane had right of way then you would be attending fewer prangs I think.

PADDLES
17-10-2012, 05:51 AM
good on ya trymyluck, we do all have an obligation to keep each other safe .........................................

Black_Rat
17-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Thanks for your in depth responses there JohnM :)

I need to be clearer it seems.

Yes we were rquired to give way however if the lane is clear we are permitted to merge back into the right hand lane.

However this was NOT feasable and would have been irrisponsible for us to do so ;)

WHY?

With the execption of where we we both down to 70 - 80klms an hour we were both doing the speed limit at the time of trying to merge back into clear space.
The law quite clearly states that you are not allowed to exceed the speed limit when overtaking ! FACT So how are we in the wrong when we are doing the speed limit and they are easliy doing 110 - 120 + ??
So we merge into clear space at 100 with a truck doing 110-120 + and then run up our arse are we in the wrong for merging into clear space or the truckies for exceeding the speed limit while overtaking ?

In the 2nd incident the truckie quite clearly braked for a couple of seconds to allow the ute and allycraft back in but then crossed double white lines to over take him anyway ! Missed that bit hey ? Again if he wasn't exceeding the speed limit then he dosen't need to swere into on -comming traffic across double white lines !

With regards to running up old mates arse when DH#2&3 came past it's a bit hard to keep an eye on you side mirror to merge into clear space when you have 2 B doubles comming around you and in front at the same time :D

Fact is there are plenty of road works around that region (Gladestone) and they were clearly impatient and put a lot of lives at risk that day whilst breaking the law in a very agressive and intimindating matter.

I neglected to mention that we also stopped of at Mt Larcome for fuel & a toilet break (15MINS) so for all there actions endangering lives breaking the LAW they picked so the could have a meal at the Pub 5 mins earlier ?!! >:( F&^%$ that ! PRICKS !

PADDLES
17-10-2012, 08:13 AM
we can sit here and argue all day about who is right or who is wrong, who is breaking the law and who is not breaking the law, but at the end of the day if you're dead it doesn't matter any more. just like yourself black rat, i related my experiences from my set of eyes being there on the spot and trying to deal with it at the time and that's all but impossible for someone reading this thread to understand unless they were actually there.

i do sympathise with truckies, because it's a very difficult job that takes intense concentration over long periods of time and this is obviously a contributing factor, and there's plenty of light vehicle users that do not consider the difficulties of operating heavy vehicles, i am not one of them and yet still experienced some pretty krap behaviour from some truckies, not all, especially in the central qld area. in this area there are so many stoppages and roadworks sites adding to the frustration and fatigue. that being said, all of these factors are part of the job and if you are a truckie and aren't coping with these factors then maybe getting out of the industry would be safer for the other road users. the statistics DO NOT LIE, accidents and fatalities involving heavy vehicles are dramatically up this year.

and yeah, this thread was not started to bag truckies, but it has definitely shown us how easy it is for any inattentive road user to potentially kill people and also shows us that like most "accidents" this could have been quite easily avoided.

PADDLES
17-10-2012, 08:42 AM
i disagree humdinger, it does not mean "everyone get out of the way or i'm going to punt you off the road" if you're a truckie with this attitude then you are part of the problem. trymyluck has hit the nail on the head, regardless of anything else, our roads would be a much safer place if all of us carried out our obligation to make sure we didn't do anything to place other road users at risk.

unlike my workplace which is tightly secured, our public roads are your workplace which unfortunately for you introduces a whole heap of uncontrolled people into your workplace.

having a cop up the front does not however discharge any of your obligations to operate your vehicle in a safe manner, regardless of what the other road users are doing. i'd challenge any heavy transport operator to show me where it says in their safety statements or safe work method statement that it's all cool to disregard safety because there's a cop up the front.

Jarrah Jack
17-10-2012, 08:45 AM
In Victoria merging traffic has the right of way. If your lane is ending and you've got your blinker on then you're right. It seems that the truckies know they can get away with it in Qld and the law is encouraging them.

Noelm
17-10-2012, 09:05 AM
I guess to be fair (and I am not a truck driver) we need to remember that a truck cannot just "zip" into a lane, or accelerate like a car (even a car towing a boat) and at times truckies can be more than just a tiny bit agro when some flip stick does 80ks on the open highway, then comes to an over taking lane and zooms off at a rapid pace, only to slow down again after the lane finishes, trucks are a tool to get "stuff" from one place to another, a long haul driver might spend a week or two on the road, so people holding them up can make a big difference to their schedule, all this is not to say that a truck has the right of way, or even deserves to be able to overtake at every possible opportunity! One thing I did notice on the Sunshine Coast to 1770 M&G trip is, QLD trucks travel a lot faster than in NSW, and can keep a good speed up, now whether that was/is because the terrain is much flatter without steep hills to really slow them up I am not sure, but it was noticable from the outset, most trucks could keep pace with the traffic most of the time.

thelump
17-10-2012, 09:49 AM
I thought they could only achieve 100kph as they are speed limited! How can they overtake you when you are sitting on the speed limit?

PADDLES
17-10-2012, 10:16 AM
That's my take on things Noel, light vehicle users should be more aware of the difficulties of operating a heavy vehicle on public roads, but heavy vehicle operators should also understand that they are are not on a controlled worksite and that they must operate their vehicles safely no matter how much other road users and other factors are sh!tting them off.

Noelm
17-10-2012, 10:20 AM
not 100% sure they are speed limited in QLD? but I can assure you, at one time we were doing around 110 in the little Yaris, and a semi over took us like we were stopped! it was on a good straight section, so not saying he was wrong (except the speed thing)

mustang5
17-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Im constantly getting tailgated sitting on the speed limit between brissy and gladstone every weekend. Do I blame them? No... They have a job to do...

And if my daily job entailed being paid to sit on 100km/h to meet deadlines, only to be stuck behind a Caravan doing 80 in a 100 zone, I would be as frustrated as all hell.

ericcs
17-10-2012, 01:58 PM
years ago when the 100k/hr rule came in, almost every truck had the 100k/hr placard on the back, if not, they were limitted to 90k/hr as i believe.
i can't think of the last time i saw a truck with the placard on, so does the rule still apply?

hooknpull
17-10-2012, 02:01 PM
not 100% sure they are speed limited in QLD? but I can assure you, at one time we were doing around 110 in the little Yaris, and a semi over took us like we were stopped! it was on a good straight section, so not saying he was wrong (except the speed thing)
How the hell did you get a yaris to 110km? You must of had a tail wind. My mrs has a pink one haha. People have to learn to work with the truck drivers. I got a mate that is hopeless. He likes to zoom up the right of a truck when going up a hill and have to merge. He then wonders why they get the shits cause he was in the right lane and they have to give way to him. As a driver he is a ###### and I hate convoying with him. People gotta learn that when they lose their revs it's a pain in the ass getting it to plane again..

honda900
17-10-2012, 02:02 PM
I thought they could only achieve 100kph as they are speed limited! How can they overtake you when you are sitting on the speed limit?

My mate told me the other night that they have a 4km variance allowed, probly to cater for variance in tyre specs etc. he drives a B Double.

Regards
Honda.

MudRiverDan
17-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Some truck drivers drive like professionals, because they are professionals.
Some drive like Hicks, because they are Hicks.

100k rule still apply , think you will find most of them sit around 109kmh.

Pretty sure trucks are meant to be governed but I would bet my left nut that there are none on the road governed at 100kmh.

Dan

nigelr
17-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Best bet is just give' em right of way. Sure as heck ain't gonna' be them coming off worst!
Let 'em go then slipstream 'em, if you can. I find this works great at night; their headlights are way better than mine but my brakes thankfully pull me up quicker than theirs.
Agreed MRD, it's easy to pick the pros, they are a pleasure to share the road with.
Too much deadline pressure on a lot of 'em, unfortunately. This is where the problem lies, IMHO, FWIW.
Cheers.

MudRiverDan
17-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Best bet is just give' em right of way. Sure as heck ain't gonna' be them coming off worst!
Let 'em go then slipstream 'em, if you can. I find this works great at night; their headlights are way better than mine but my brakes thankfully pull me up quicker than theirs.
Agreed MRD, it's easy to pick the pros, they are a pleasure to share the road with.
Too much deadline pressure on a lot of 'em, unfortunately. This is where the problem lies, IMHO, FWIW.
Cheers.

Yes give them the road especially when towing, I got clipped one night on Cleveland road (not towing), sent the car straight into wild fishtails and was lucky to steer out of it and make my way to the side.

Dan

cormorant
17-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Still be buying a lottery ticket or 10 to survive this accident with so little damage. Glad ya safe.

No excuse for unsafe driving by cars or trucks as the consequences are horrible. Yes mistakes happen and people lose concentration but that is why you always leave safe distances etc etc so you aren't a statistic of your own or someone elses bad judgement. Professional drivers should be even more aware of the lack of skill and knowledge let alone the ability or unpredictability of the average car driver. I am always amazed how close cars and trucks pull in after overtaking and then get off the gas. For Christs sake you wanted to get past - bugger off and get up the road and for the overtaken vehicle get off the gas a bit so the committed overtaker is out there for as stort a time as possible as if he gets nailed so will you and you can't see it coming and have one less escape route.

Unfortunately these days we teach to new drivers rules , regulations and rights these days not common sense and trucks limited spend ages on the other side of the road trying to overtake even when modern trucks have the dynamics and HP these days to go much harder.

Interesting a lot here say they are sitting on the speed limit and I bet a lot are doing it off the speedo and are probably 5km under depending on digital readout or side of the needle they read. Every truck I know looks at his GPS as if he can run at 100km he will and 8 hours at 5km lower is a extra 40km he has to make up . With runs close to hour limits the last thing you want to do is park up 40km from home 30 minutes to a hour short.

Windscreen cameras or accident cameras , some with gps - the digital witness- are cheap and for a owner operator truck driver they pay for themselves with no excess on a insurance claim first time and for a car driver they do the same and can be mounted on the rear screen discretely to pick up those pricks who play with trailers at ramps. Large companies between cameras and data loggers / trackers have a very good idea what their drivers are up to for risk assessment. If you go to the transport or logistics sites and see the footage every day that trucks get of each other and other cars it is terrifying and they avoid 10 idiots like it a day.

Gotta say the nanny state where on large sections of road there is no overtaking , you can't speed to overtake and only set overtaking lanes causes more problems than it solves. In years gone by you would come up on a slower vehicle , flash / cb radio so he knew you were there and accellerate around them at 120km -130 so you spent no time on the other side of the road and were clear and not on the brakes straight after the manouver so all had safe braking distance again.

Common sense and being alive beats guessing if the other bloke knows the road rules or has a death wish. Being right in court but having a coroner prove it is not a win!

shy guys
17-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks a lot to all that have replyed to this tread insurence have come to the party they wrote the boat off when it came to a pay out figure they got quotes and gave me a figure on a average wich was 6k less than purchase price so thats 6k in depreciation in exactly one year after purchase not including the rods and tackle that got damaged that is included in your premium and also did not cover the 4k of electrics added to the boat in the year so i suggest you all check out your insurence to see what you are covered for as the boat that matches mine with a smaller motor and more hours is 47k on boatpoint let's just say I got a lot less than that. But to a good note I have bought a new second hand boat and should be back on the water in a couple of weeks I ended up with a 2002 pacific sportfish wich is a really nice boat can't wait to get back out there will see yous all on the next m&g thanks again for all your replys

honda900
17-10-2012, 06:13 PM
All the best mate,

go catch some fish and try to forget all this drama.

Regards
HOnda.

cormorant
17-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Now it is all done and dusted can I ask a quezzy about if the straps snapped tieing it down or hooks on straps deformed, did the winch cable let go and the chain as well? The forces involved would have been huge. . It in the wash up was better off not attached to your vehicle the way it turned out but I was wondering what gave way? ?

shy guys
17-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Now it is all done and dusted can Iask a quezzy about if the straps snapped tieing it down or hookd on straps deformed, did teh winch cable let go and teh chain as well. It in teh wash up was better off not attached to your vehicle teh way it turned out but I was wondering what gave way? ?
Mate had a 2.5 tonne tie down across the back safety chain and winch tie down snapped winch strap snapped and the safety chain stretched and snapped as well I think the boat leaving the trailer is the reason why we did not roll the car as well I think the strap across the back snapped when the boats hardtop hit the imbankment then the winch and safety chain snapped as we were bouncing throug the imbankment

The-easyrider
17-10-2012, 07:15 PM
I drive a lot of different cars on the highway with workand the variance in speedos to GPS is an eye opener to be within Aus. standardsa cars speedo can have a 10% inaccuracy. The worst one I have driven lately hadto be driven at 112 on the speedo to get a GPS speed of 100 checked with twoGPSs. My patrol is the other way because of larger tyres 94 on the speedo =100but I tend to drive to the speedo so I am sitting on about 107 unless I amtowing the boat then I tow in 4th with a GPS speed of 98 which suits me andmost people behind me.

On another note good to see you got sort of a win Shy Guy, my insurance is acustom policy that is a guaranteed agreed value, let me know if you want thecontact details.

cormorant
24-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Mate had a 2.5 tonne tie down across the back safety chain and winch tie down snapped winch strap snapped and the safety chain stretched and snapped as well I think the boat leaving the trailer is the reason why we did not roll the car as well I think the strap across the back snapped when the boats hardtop hit the imbankment then the winch and safety chain snapped as we were bouncing throug the imbankment

Wow thanks . That is a huge impact lot of force as 2.5t strap has a huge breaking strain, chain, another strap. The boat breaking away and causing no harm was definately for the best . I'd be getting my towbar changed over under insurance after that and probably new seats as there would be no way they weren't soilled if I was in there .

netmaker
24-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Now it is all done and dusted... I was wondering what gave way? ?

well, we know it wasn't the nut behind the wheel:o;D. i am reserving my judgment of which nut;)

Chamelion
29-07-2013, 04:56 AM
Hmmm.. Saw this boat sitting next to a big shed next to the Maryborough refuse/recycle center. I thought I recognized it! Looks like someone might have bought it from the insurance company for repair?

Chamelion
03-10-2013, 02:45 AM
No reply? :(

shy guys
03-10-2013, 04:21 AM
The bloke who bought it was the tow truck driver that picked it up he has now got it repaired that's all I know