PDA

View Full Version : BMW Marine

Stik-ugly
13-09-2012, 02:16 PM
I have obtained a D7 BMW single cylinder marine engine and I was wondering if anybody has any info on them and can you get parts in Aus for them?

sporty1
13-09-2012, 05:39 PM
What are you planning now???

Stik-ugly
13-09-2012, 06:40 PM
The Merc just isn't getting the boat up on the plane quick enough

cormorant
13-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Whitworths stock everything you need. Can solve all mechanical issues for $20

Drain the fuel and oil

Attach shackle and 1m of 3/8 chain and also 1m of 2lb leader. Next time you are on the water pretend to use it as a anchor.

Sorry to say but I saw 2 of these rebuilt ( I use that term lightly) for yachts and both had electrical issues soon after that were under the flywheel and not worth fixing. I can't remember if teh alternator is under the flywheel and if they needed electrics to power fuel solonoid?If you want it sans electrics as a put put hand crank motor then maybe. They are very old now and not that smooth.

Now that is out of the way how would you like a volvo md5 6 7 or 7B as I unfortunately have a collection? . I suggest them as they are slightly cheaper - yep less chain required but hold better and rust slower as they have high nickle castings. ;D

Edit- felt guilty for picking on a little BMW just cause teh only 2 I knew of were crap but there were a lot installed in yachts and they were 20 years old by teh time they were not worth teh repair.

here is the manuals and a possible contact. I never knew Merc dealt in the old small ones but they did do stuff for the 4cyl 6cyl ones in the 80's early 90's. Motors for those were Ok when maintained but the drives were never maintained due to cost.

http://www.bmwmarine.net/parts.html

http://www.bmwmarine.net/parts.html

BM
13-09-2012, 07:21 PM
I'd have to agree with Cormorant.

BMW's foray into marine went spectacularly poorly.

Parts are obtained via Mercury if I recall correctly or at least they were at one stage. Quite hard to get from memory.

The marketing campaign at the time they entered the boating market was something like "you drive the best engineered vehicle on the road and now you can drive the best engineered boat".

It was a spectacular flop! Steering clear of any BMW powered boat is a wise move.

Stik-ugly
14-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Oh well I was going to repair it as a bit of a project but looks like I will just be wasting my time ,so I'll get rid of it as I already have plenty of anchors

cormorant
14-09-2012, 12:34 PM
What condition is it in? Running?? Seized? compression? When it last ran? Do you know it's history and if it is a salt water motor ?

There are still a fair few in small yachts and even if yours in not worth fixing it may be worth more as parts especially if the stator is a goer as accessing original parts won't be cheap for those owners. No doubt there will be enthusiasts in small diesels who will know all the flaws and even some fixes and like any motor I'm sure people in the day who looked after them got a good life- they aren't exactly complicated. . They used to compete with vire 7 motors ( 2 stroke petrols) that were also light in small yachts and especially the wooden yachts went with the Vire as it was smoother and didn't vibrate the wood boats apart. The 70's fg boats used the little BMW as it was small and diesel. Things like triton 24, folkboats etc etc

finga
14-09-2012, 02:01 PM
http://wavelength30.zxq.net/BMWD7.htm

cormorant
14-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Great little site Finga. I enjoy reading about old motors and old blokes enthusiuasm for them. I guess to keep up his BMW habit he keeps the website so he keeps getting spares. I was surprised they were a 80's motor as I have seen em in a lot of 70's yachts so the ones I have seen must have been repowers. I just wish Hatz would have built it all from the start as I've had em on pumps and they are unbreakable but deafening and pretty well engineered for simplicity.

finga
14-09-2012, 04:28 PM
I enjoy reading about old motors and old blokes enthusiuasm for them.
Is it enthusiasm or is it stupidity or is it just too tight to buy a new one or ......???
I'm afraid I fall into the stupid category. But I may not be old enough to be enthusiastic yet :)

finga
15-09-2012, 06:25 AM
As a side note: I'd have one of those motors. Why I hear you ask.
Just so I could say to my wog mate.....I brought a D7.
Or I could tell The Cook I got her a new motor for her M-Tech.

I brought one of these a couple of weeks ago just so when my wog mate asks what's happening (as he always does) I could say I brought a truck.....and it flies.
He said what sort. I said black.....and it flies.
His son was here yesterday in his shiny Kenworth and he just shook his head and called me a tosser.

So a D7 would be just dandy I reckon. ::)

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00QjtEwVzWqaol/RC-Flying-Truck.jpg