PDA

View Full Version : Securing rods in rocket launchers?

Lightly Toasted
12-09-2012, 04:19 AM
Hopefully this is in the right section.

Anyway, got myself a bimini rocket launcher. Looks great, but the rods angle out a bit too far for me to just leave them unsecured (I can't change the angle any futher) and want to somehow secure them tightly in place.

I don't want rod leashes to simply stop them sinking, I'm after something that actually stops them coming out in the first place and to avoid too much jiggling in the holders, as my lightweight rods have short butts.

I have some pretty rubbish ideas like tying them in with some paracord or something, but would like something that just pops, clips or pulls off and goes back on just as fast.
So I am keen to hear any ideas of what people have seen/used/imagined/etc, happy to try anything. But it must be strong, it's not uncommon to see me out in 15-20kt's.

Couple of pictures:

Feral
12-09-2012, 05:13 AM
light Occy straps.
From base of rocket launcher up over reel seat and back again.

bf90
12-09-2012, 05:22 AM
feral is right on the money :) ya cant get much quicker and easier than that ;)

Greg P
12-09-2012, 06:48 AM
I wouldn't be loading that up with a lot of rods if you are travelling far. Doesn't look very strong. I would be putting your best outfits on the floor in rough water and only be using the rocket launcher when fishing to clear the deck. A lot of force up there when fully loaded.

Lightly Toasted
12-09-2012, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't be loading that up with a lot of rods if you are travelling far. Doesn't look very strong. I would be putting your best outfits on the floor in rough water and only be using the rocket launcher when fishing to clear the deck. A lot of force up there when fully loaded.

I thought that would be a problem aswell, it looks flimsy but it surprised me how strong it actually is. It also wont be up (it folds down with the bimini) while travelling on the road. I've never left it up.

Either way, it'll only have light outfits (bream rods, all weigh much less than 1kg) - As pictured. But it's been tested on the water and had no problems with some heavier boat style rods with longer butts. I'm tired of damaging eyelets on my lighter rods from having them pound into the twarts when I put them on the floor regardless of how I place them. :(

I also tested the bimini for how much weight it will hold - 12kg was a safe "max" weight that I was happy with.

Lightly Toasted
12-09-2012, 05:22 PM
light Occy straps.
From base of rocket launcher up over reel seat and back again.

I didn't even consider those! That's a great idea.

WalrusLike
12-09-2012, 06:07 PM
I didn't even consider those! That's a great idea.

Not consider them!?! Bungy straps and gaffa tape are my first port of call for everything. :)

My boat trailer attaches to the car with a bungy strap held on by gaffa tape.

Lovely smooth stretchy towing with none of those horrible bangs and bumps from cable brakes etc (removed them).

The gaffa and bungy works well as a missus quietener too..... she complains when I don't take her on trips and then complains when I do..... until I quieten the nagging of course. :)

(god I hope she never reads this... )

johndeere
12-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Yes, short occy straps, cable tie the the bottom hook to the base of the rod holder so they can stay there, put other hook over reel support

cormorant
12-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Just buy the bungy / shock cord at the marine store and then do loops that stretch over the reels. Same advice as above. If you work out your lengths before you go in to the shop you can use the hot knife cutter. Double sided velcro in the form of "sail ties"or the premade "sail ties"with a toggle also work. The shock cord will last ok if it isn't stored in the sun.

BLOOEY
12-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Go the bungys. On the topic of rocket launchers, and this may be a silly question. Why do they always face backwards. All the boats i have been on the rocket launchers face backwards from the top of the bimini/roof, hanging over the working area toward the stern of the boat just waiting to be snapped by another rod being cast. If they faced forward they would be totally out of the way (all be it a little harder to reach). Ben

Lightly Toasted
12-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Never really thought about it. Maybe it's because of the weight of the reels, allowing them to naturally fall backwards?

I just made that up, but it makes sense! ;D

Floating Rib
12-09-2012, 08:05 PM
yep i second the occy straps, i use the plastic hook ones, no scratches or rust.

Lightly Toasted
12-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Looking like occy straps are the go. Will run out and grab a bunch tomorrow.

Hopefully the weather is decent on the weekend for a test run.

Jakers 69
12-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Help me,
What is a occystrap, is it a flexible cord with a pull and lock bracket?

Lightly Toasted
12-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Help me,
What is a occystrap, is it a flexible cord with a pull and lock bracket?

Flexible cord (bungee cord) with a hook on each end.

Si
17-09-2012, 06:03 PM
i had a few near misses with my rocket launcher. I remember heading out to moreton one day and looking around to see a $500 outfit had come out of its holder and was swaying around with its tip luckily entangled with the next rod. i managed to retrieve it. i holesawed the bottoms out of the holders the next day and use a occy type strap from now.

Mrs Ronnie H
17-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Hi
Can you tell me where you got that rocket launcher please and cost.

Thanks
Ronnie

Lightly Toasted
19-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Hi
Can you tell me where you got that rocket launcher please and cost.

Thanks
Ronnie

Sorry Ronnie, I really need to check threads more often. But anyway, I picked it up on eBay. $124.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Maritime-Boat-Canopy-Bimini-Rocket-Launcher-1-8-1-9m-/270970137099?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f17142a0b

As a side note, it's not really meant for those BCF blueline bimini's (4 bow), which is what mine is. I had to remove one part, and slightly modify it. It's just as strong, but allows it to be used on that type of bimini. :D

Pic 1 & 2 show what I removed. Then I just joined the 2 plastic clip thingies (they go on the ends of the thing in pic 2) together with a longer bolt (pic 3). Ignore the zip tie, I used it to hold it in place while I installed a bolt on the other side. 8-)

marto78
19-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Not consider them!?! Bungy straps and gaffa tape are my first port of call for everything. :)

My boat trailer attaches to the car with a bungy strap held on by gaffa tape.

Lovely smooth stretchy towing with none of those horrible bangs and bumps from cable brakes etc (removed them).

The gaffa and bungy works well as a missus quietener too..... she complains when I don't take her on trips and then complains when I do..... until I quieten the nagging of course. :)

(god I hope she never reads this... )

Hey Walrus the you forgot to mention the other two most important things to have in a boat are zip ties and telstra rope :P

WalrusLike
21-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Hey Walrus the you forgot to mention the other two most important things to have in a boat are zip ties and telstra rope :P

Yeah, your right.... can't forget the other half of the tool kit. :)

Lately I have been experimenting with a new all-round fixer.... superglue.

After I unglued myself from the underside of the gunnel, I have decided to always have some on hand... and foot, and left ear, and side of my nose.

Noelm
26-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Go the bungys. On the topic of rocket launchers, and this may be a silly question. Why do they always face backwards. All the boats i have been on the rocket launchers face backwards from the top of the bimini/roof, hanging over the working area toward the stern of the boat just waiting to be snapped by another rod being cast. If they faced forward they would be totally out of the way (all be it a little harder to reach). Ben
Not mine, I had mine face forward, it does look a bit funny, but they never hang over the fishing area just waiting to be hooked by a rod in use!!!

Fed
26-09-2012, 01:05 PM
They won't fall out LT, I've been trying to shake rods out for over 40 years and it doesn't happen.